2019 and above Giant Trance 29er!!

PB Forum :: Giant
2019 and above Giant Trance 29er!!
| Next Page
Posted: Jul 16, 2020 at 9:45 Quote
On the hunt for one of these, size large in an aluminum. If anyone knows where there's some stock squirreled away or a demo bike for sale please let me know.

Posted: Aug 4, 2020 at 23:22 Quote
Been casually thinking about selling the Trance and picking up a Santa Cruz Tallboy. Finally had an opportunity to do a quick parking lot spin on a TB yesterday.

Initial impression was that it's quick to accelerate and the suspension feels similar to the Trance, both seated and standing, but doesn't have quite the same immediacy. The Trance positively squirts forward with every pedal stroke, while the TB just felt efficient. The TB's 1° slacker head angle was noticeable, that wheel is a bit further out front for sure. Seat angle felt identical to me, though my Trance's saddle is 3mm forward of center, while the TB's saddle was centered on the rails (maybe not enough to be worth mentioning really). TB frame is a measure stiffer feeling when doing the wiggle the back-end test, but then I suppose that's expected with the extra pound of carbon it has over the Trance.

Overall the more immediate power transfer of the Trance is something I'm realizing I don't want to trade in for the potentially more solid downhill prowess of the TB.

Getting dropped on a brutal climb is for cry.

Posted: Aug 12, 2020 at 11:58 Quote
Thanks for mentioning that comparison. There was a Tallboy for sale that had a good deal on it, but I opted for the Trance. Helps me quash those "what ifs". Now I'm curious if someone tried the YT Izzo, that bike looks sick.

DirkMcClerkin wrote:
Been casually thinking about selling the Trance and picking up a Santa Cruz Tallboy. Finally had an opportunity to do a quick parking lot spin on a TB yesterday.

Initial impression was that it's quick to accelerate and the suspension feels similar to the Trance, both seated and standing, but doesn't have quite the same immediacy. The Trance positively squirts forward with every pedal stroke, while the TB just felt efficient. The TB's 1° slacker head angle was noticeable, that wheel is a bit further out front for sure. Seat angle felt identical to me, though my Trance's saddle is 3mm forward of center, while the TB's saddle was centered on the rails (maybe not enough to be worth mentioning really). TB frame is a measure stiffer feeling when doing the wiggle the back-end test, but then I suppose that's expected with the extra pound of carbon it has over the Trance.

Overall the more immediate power transfer of the Trance is something I'm realizing I don't want to trade in for the potentially more solid downhill prowess of the TB.

Getting dropped on a brutal climb is for cry.

Posted: Sep 7, 2020 at 16:47 Quote
Looking at a 2020 Trance Advanced 29 Pro 1 but I am curious about the 170 mm crank length for M and above. I have a 13 Anthem X 29 and a 17 Anthem X ADV 29 both with 175 mm and have used 175 mm cranks my whole life. I am 5 foot 9.5" tall with a 30" inseam.

Do people run the 170 mm crank or do some of you swap for a 175 mm?

Posted: Sep 8, 2020 at 11:03 Quote
I doubt you would even notice the difference between a 170 and 175. There are probably lots of people in the buy and sell that would swap 170s for 175s. Lots of people want shorter cranks to help with pedal strikes given the lower BB of modern bikes. I'd just ride the 170s and swap later if you really don't like them.

Posted: Sep 8, 2020 at 15:21 Quote
I think I have to check out the Medium and Large sizes of this bike. 5 foot 9 inches tall bare foot with approx 30" inseam.

Honestly I think I need to demo this bike.

Posted: Sep 10, 2020 at 19:27 Quote
morkys wrote:
Looking at a 2020 Trance Advanced 29 Pro 1 but I am curious about the 170 mm crank length for M and above. I have a 13 Anthem X 29 and a 17 Anthem X ADV 29 both with 175 mm and have used 175 mm cranks my whole life. I am 5 foot 9.5" tall with a 30" inseam.

Holy crap, been on this bike for almost a year had no idea the cranks we're 170mm Razz

5'10" on a large. Good fit, maybe 5mm or so shorter than I'd like ideally.

Posted: Sep 10, 2020 at 21:00 Quote
DirkMcClerkin wrote:
morkys wrote:

Holy crap, been on this bike for almost a year had no idea the cranks we're 170mm Razz

5 mm shorter reach?

Posted: Sep 13, 2020 at 12:16 Quote
Had my height measured and I am in fact 5' 9" tall but my inseam is actually 31.5". I test rode a M Trance 29 and I did feel the reach was kinda short. It measured 25" from centre of seatpost to centre of bars. The L measured closer to 26" and my personal M AX29 measures ~ 26.25"... I was not able to ride the L much.

I may try to demo a M and L on actual trails. I may lose out on grabbing the cheaper 2020 models this year in time to ride but the 2021 come with full XT brakes and drivetrain which is a worth while difference (upgrade?). I don't think I would want to put a much longer stem on the M to make it fit. Kinda think it would slow down the steering. I am conflicted on which size is right for me.

Anybody else 5'9" with a 31-31.5" inseam riding a L?

Posted: Sep 15, 2020 at 11:47 Quote
morkys wrote:
DirkMcClerkin wrote:
morkys wrote:

5 mm shorter reach?

I'd be ok with a top tube that was 5mm longer, or 10mm if I went with a 45mm or 50mm stem instead of the stock 55mm on the large. Nit picking though, the seated reach is really comfortable as is, and the handling feels perfect with the 55.

I'd recommend large for sure, unless your torso is really short? Everyone's different though, my riding partner my height has short arms and rides a size medium Trek comfortably (like XS reach).

You could always lop 15mm off the reach of the Trance with a 40mm stem if need be.

Saddle will likely go forward somewhere between 1-5mm too so factor that into the reach.

Terrain will be another factor that could influence length needed...

Posted: Sep 19, 2020 at 13:43 Quote
Hi Guys, I am 6'1 (185cm) tall and inseam of 32.5 (82cm).

I sat on Large and XL trance 29 2020 awaiting stock of aluminium version 29 2.

I cant compare really to any bike as this will be my first full suspension. I must say that the L felt like the bars were quite close. The XL reach felt comfortable.. I couldn't test ride it unfortunately.

Anyone here with same height roding XL as tji is the one I am Leaning to.

Advise will Be much appropriated.

Posted: Oct 10, 2020 at 17:35 Quote
Budzikovski wrote:
Hi Guys, I am 6'1 (185cm) tall and inseam of 32.5 (82cm).

I sat on Large and XL trance 29 2020 awaiting stock of aluminium version 29 2.

I cant compare really to any bike as this will be my first full suspension. I must say that the L felt like the bars were quite close. The XL reach felt comfortable.. I couldn't test ride it unfortunately.

Anyone here with same height roding XL as tji is the one I am Leaning to.

Advise will Be much appropriated.

I ride a 2019 XL, and I'm 6-1 1/2 barefoot. It definitely doesn't feel too big, and it even has a 70mm stem on it instead of the stock one. (Bought it used; I don't know what size the stock one was.) I'd go XL.

Posted: Oct 17, 2020 at 0:03 Quote
My PRO 1 fork measured at 140mm, am I the only one?

| Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.008830
Mobile Version of Website