2019 and above Giant Trance 29er!!

PB Forum :: Giant
2019 and above Giant Trance 29er!!
Posted: Nov 23, 2020 at 4:39 Quote
padenw24 wrote:
Probably a super silly question but is there room for a 130mm shock? How about 140 for the fork? This seems like a happy medium between the X and 29 models.

140mm fork is a common mod for this bike and I don’t see much of a problem with it. 130mm shock will not work. The standard shock is 165x42.5 with a 2.5mm stroke limiting spacer. I checked on my frame and there’s clearance to remove the 2.5mm spacer which would give you about 7mm extra travel without affecting the beginning of the stroke of the geometry; it would just bottom out at a deeper position.

Posted: Nov 23, 2020 at 7:40 Quote
Not 140mm, but I just bought a used 150mm Pike and ran it like that for a week out of curiosity before swapping the airshaft down to 130mm.

At 150mm climbing was actually still pretty ok, I think the stock seat angle is steep enough that it could afford to slacken out a degree or so without destroying the climbing position. The taller bottom bracket was great.

Downhill was strikingly worse, I think mostly from the taller bottom bracket. The bike felt vague, unplanted and not confidence inspiring. I struggled to hold onto the pack of riders I usually lead. I couldn't wait to swap the 130mm airshaft back in.

Posted: Nov 30, 2020 at 19:21 Quote
My PRO 1 fork measured at 140mm, am I the only one?
140 fork

Posted: Dec 1, 2020 at 18:22 Quote
vancn wrote:
140 fork

Just measured mine with the Fox Rhythm and I got 130mm exactly. You may have a 140mm shaft which would be odd. Also may be different stanchion lengths for the 7000 series uppers on the fox CSUs for every model except the Rhythm.

Posted: Dec 2, 2020 at 18:25 Quote
Was planning to try 140mm fork someday, now I know that I had ridden that fork since new.
Never tried 130mm fork though. Should I claim a new fork from Giant? lol!
Bflutz625 wrote:
vancn wrote:
140 fork

Just measured mine with the Fox Rhythm and I got 130mm exactly. You may have a 140mm shaft which would be odd. Also may be different stanchion lengths for the 7000 series uppers on the fox CSUs for every model except the Rhythm.

Posted: Jan 20, 2021 at 12:26 Quote
Just wondering, what sort of pressures are people running in their DPS shocks? I’m about 97kg all kitted up (so no lightweight) and need over 300psi to hit the 25% (about 10-11mm) sag...

Seems excessive to me...

Posted: Jan 20, 2021 at 18:30 Quote
RichBowman wrote:
Just wondering, what sort of pressures are people running in their DPS shocks? I’m about 97kg all kitted up (so no lightweight) and need over 300psi to hit the 25% (about 10-11mm) sag...

Seems excessive to me...

I'm a wee heavier than you. Run mine at 325psi, 11mm sag, owned the bike for over a year. No problems.
I run the compression switch in the middle position for climbing and descending. Feels awesome!

Posted: Jan 21, 2021 at 1:19 Quote
Ah - great. Sounds like I'm not *that* far off then. Think it needs a bit of breaking in as well as there feels like there's a but of resistance in the first part of the stroke (up to the sag point), then frees up after - possibly there's a bit of a whoosh/air sound. I've not been on it for a couple of weeks (rubbish weather and being under the weather), so might have settled a bit.

Thanks again,

Rich

Posted: Jan 24, 2021 at 0:40 Quote
Does anyone have any trail time on both Trance 29 and Trance X 29?

I am looking for a second fully, for trails that i dont need a 160 mm bike for(my main bike, giant reign 27.5). Cannot decide between reuglar 29 and 29 X... Local dealer does not have a test bike. Some reviewers mention that they prefer the X for climbing because of the steeper seat tube. Any first hand experience with both and what are your opinions?

Posted: Jan 26, 2021 at 14:05 Quote
Looked through the thread and didn't notice but is anyone riding a Trance 29 3? Have one on order in a medium and basically ordered it sight unseen just going off of reviews, components and price. Anyone have any reviews/comments on the 3 vs the 2? Not arriving until June/July according to the Giant store and the wait is killing me (although there's a snow storm going on outside right now LOL)

Posted: Feb 2, 2021 at 15:44 Quote
Availability of these bikes is pretty low.

Can anybody guess what the difference is in weight between the Advanced Pro 29 2 and the 1?

O+
Posted: Feb 5, 2021 at 4:47 Quote
mrdimi wrote:
Looked through the thread and didn't notice but is anyone riding a Trance 29 3? Have one on order in a medium and basically ordered it sight unseen just going off of reviews, components and price. Anyone have any reviews/comments on the 3 vs the 2? Not arriving until June/July according to the Giant store and the wait is killing me (although there's a snow storm going on outside right now LOL)

Usual disclaimer: depends on riding style, terrain, and what other bikes you're comparing it to. Yada yada.
I love the bike. It does what it's designed for. Very comfortable. Great for long days in the saddle and absorbing chatter. Climbs well. Versatile and fun.
Out of the box it feels a bit small. I moved a few head tube spacers, dropping the stem height. Big improvement. The change makes me feel more "in" the bike than "on" the bike. Handling is sharp, borderline twitchy. Found myself cutting corners too tight until I got used to it.
I run the stock tires for chunkier, looser terrain. Swap for Rekons for smoother, grippier, faster surfaces. The weight loss and rolling resistance are noticeable.
Fun factor is subjective. Getting dropped by my buddies is not fun. For that I run my 5k carbon xc bike. But for squishy comfort, more line choices, and not worrying about peddle strikes, the Trance 29 3 is an absolute blast. Best bang for the buck on the market.

Posted: Feb 5, 2021 at 12:33 Quote
Drdsanders wrote:
mrdimi wrote:

Usual disclaimer: depends on riding style, terrain, and what other bikes you're comparing it to. Yada yada.
I love the bike. It does what it's designed for. Very comfortable. Great for long days in the saddle and absorbing chatter. Climbs well. Versatile and fun.
Out of the box it feels a bit small. I moved a few head tube spacers, dropping the stem height. Big improvement. The change makes me feel more "in" the bike than "on" the bike. Handling is sharp, borderline twitchy. Found myself cutting corners too tight until I got used to it.
I run the stock tires for chunkier, looser terrain. Swap for Rekons for smoother, grippier, faster surfaces. The weight loss and rolling resistance are noticeable.
Fun factor is subjective. Getting dropped by my buddies is not fun. For that I run my 5k carbon xc bike. But for squishy comfort, more line choices, and not worrying about peddle strikes, the Trance 29 3 is an absolute blast. Best bang for the buck on the market.

That's the most accurate review I've ever seen. Beer Points for the Rekon recommendation too. Been really impressed with the speed vs grip.

Funny how everything's relative, this is my small bike because I was tired of getting dropped on the climbs on my big bike (Reign). lol

On the big bike I was way back on the the usual 1000' steep singletrack climb, and a bit ahead by myself on the downhills. The biggest problem though was being completely knackered for the whole ride.

On the Trance I'm easily keeping up on the uphill and holding even on the downhill. And feeling relatively fresh at the top of the climb with energy left for the descent.

Been riding more often with this bike too because I'm less sapped.

Posted: Feb 9, 2021 at 13:25 Quote
Drdsanders wrote:
mrdimi wrote:

Great review and aligns with what I've been reading. The only part that sucks even more now is the wait, given the shortages my fear is that June/July ends up even later in the year. Not much I can do but wait and keep riding my '99 Stumpy.

Posted: Feb 18, 2021 at 14:12 Quote
so im looking to increase the travel on the rear of my trance 2, ideally to get it to 130mm travel but would be happy with a 120mm rear end, anyone every done that? if so what kind of shock would I need.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.040614
Mobile Version of Website