What are some good downhill/bikepark shorts?

PB Forum :: Downhill
What are some good downhill/bikepark shorts?
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Aug 13, 2018 at 12:27 Quote
What are some good shorts for bikepark use? I like a fit that is not too baggy. It should have a few pockets that fit phone, liftpass, wallet etc.. It should survive the typical crashes, but at the same time not be too hot and stiff. I also am not too much into big logos (such as with Fox gear).

These are some shorts I've been looking at:

Loose Riders C/S Shorts - I ordered, and returned these because fabric felt very stiff and sweaty

TLD Sprint - I like the look and slightly narrow fit, but it only seems to have one small pocket

TLD Moto - I like that is has more pockets than the Sprint, but I wonder if it is heavier/hotter/baggier than the Sprint

Race Face Ruxton - I like the look, even though it has big logos

Ion Scrub Select - has 4-way stretch fabric according to the description which I like, but also velcro adjusters which probably won't last long.

What are your experiences with these? Any other ones I should try?

O+
Posted: Aug 13, 2018 at 16:29 Quote
ION for best quality but not baggy at all.

Ruxton are also great but I would recommend the Ambush instead. A little hotter on sunny days but they are great quality and lots of pockets.

TLD moto is a good option

Sprint won't last long, or at least they didn't 3 years ago.

What about Dakine? I would recommend you: ION Scrub, RF Ambush, Dakine Descent or TLD Moto

O+
Posted: Aug 14, 2018 at 8:07 Quote
TLD Motos for 2018 are much more breathable and lighter weight than the TLD Motos of the past. You could say that the old ones were built for DH and the new ones are designed for Enduro.

Posted: Aug 14, 2018 at 11:39 Quote
norfiril and DugS thanks for the tips. I will try a bunch and see which one I like best.

It seems that it will be a compromise between stretchy breathable polyester/spandex and stiff abrasion resistant Polyamid (nylon).

Posted: Aug 18, 2018 at 17:05 Quote
I vote no on tld motos. Size is off. I ordered 32 and 30. I am a 32 waist but needed 30 in the tld motos to fit at the waist. But then the leg opening was too small for pads.

Fox flexair all the way for me.

Posted: Aug 18, 2018 at 17:52 Quote
Troy Lee Moto shorts are the absolute best...period.
Super tough outer.
Vented mesh inner.
Zipper + flapped + snap pockets.
Long length.
Ratchet buckle.
Colors

Perfection!

Posted: Aug 19, 2018 at 13:51 Quote
Check out Rocday.
Super stretchy, tough as nails and great price.
Not especially baggy though, but they are the best shorts i´ve seen so far.

Posted: Aug 20, 2018 at 14:35 Quote
Loki87 wrote:
Check out Rocday.
Thanks. I never heard of those. Do you know how they compare with the tld moto in terms of durability?

Posted: Aug 20, 2018 at 17:11 Quote
Aptlynamed wrote:
Loki87 wrote:
Check out Rocday.
Thanks. I never heard of those. Do you know how they compare with the tld moto in terms of durability?

Hard to compare such things really.
Mine have been going strong for two seasons now and have had some rather nasty crashes without showing any wear and tear.
They are just really really nice to wear. Not overengineered, but with the right amount of details such as pockets that are on the side so your cellphone is secured in the pocket and doesn´t flop around wildly. Zippers are still going smooth and the shorts are drying rather quickly too. Can´t ask for much more imho.

Posted: Aug 21, 2018 at 4:33 Quote
If I choose to wear shorts i always go to my tld motos.

Posted: Aug 23, 2018 at 7:48 Quote
Fox Ranger, good fit and no big logos. Nice enough to wear daily if you want.

Posted: Aug 23, 2018 at 10:48 Quote
mudjnky wrote:
Fox Ranger, good fit and no big logos. Nice enough to wear daily if you want.

Thanks, but it does look more like a short meant for trail use rather than survive bikepark crashes. Also I read here that there are no zippers on any of the pockets, and that the inseam is pretty short.

Posted: Aug 25, 2018 at 23:54 Quote
I like the Fox Sergeant shorts. They are a bit heavy but they are also tough.

Posted: Aug 26, 2018 at 3:11 Quote
Endura singletrack.

Light, bit baggy, don't get hot in them (have zipper vents), minimal pockets and I've washed out a few times and they still look like new and protected me well

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.012943
Mobile Version of Website