Cracked ones, and other frame related issues

PB Forum :: YT Industries
Cracked ones, and other frame related issues
  • Previous Page
Posted: Aug 17, 2018 at 0:01 Quote
Here you can post your experiences with frame issues and how yt handled them, just to keep track not much else, so post up your cracked ones and if possible the response from yt

Posted: Aug 17, 2018 at 4:58 Quote
I cracked my frame almost exactly a month ago. After a few pictures and emails I was told it was a warranty issue.

Just got word today that a replacement frame is being shipped my way, and looks like it should be to me early next week. I wish the process had gone quicker, but there is a reason YT's bikes are priced the way they are. If you want Santa Cruz level of service you're going to have to pay the extra $1.5-2K more to get it.

As long as you can work on bikes yourself then definitely look at YT. I love my Jeffsy.

Posted: Aug 22, 2018 at 2:25 Quote
Has anyone had much to do with the Day zero that handle YT in NZ and Australia ?
As we are having heaps of trouble with them over a warranty claim on a 8 week old ​
Capra Pro Race bike we have .

Posted: Aug 22, 2018 at 9:51 Quote
I've had an absolute shocker with YT.

So at the beginning of summer the carbon fibre of my YT Capra seat stays got badly damaged. No big deal I thought - I'll contact YT and and buy the new part that they list on their website... IF ONLY IT HAD BEEN THAT EASY.

After the initial painful process of confirming that I was the original buyer of the bike, only then did they inform me that to get a new seat stay, I must send my entire frame back (with shock) to YT, for them to fix it. I responded, asking if they can just send me the part I need - I have already taken the old, broken seat stay off my bike, and just wanted the new one sent to me. Without any explanation, I have been told again that I must send the whole frame.

Can anyone shed some light on why on earth this is the process? Why should I incur whatever extortionate cost it will be to ship my entire frame to Germany? What if I had already thrown the useless, broken seat stay away? Why of why can't I just send them the 350EUR they're asking for, and them post me the damn part?

I cannot fathom their logic, but right now I'm seriously considering just buying a whole frame from another manufacturer (Transition Patrol most likely). YT have really pissed me off!

Edit: Here's a photo of the damage done by the rotated mech hanger:
2017 YT Capra seat stay - destroyed by mech hanger

Posted: Aug 22, 2018 at 10:31 Quote
wow, that is a bs policy!! 350 euro is plenty to buy a part like that with zero strings attached. If they were hooking you up with a bro deal like ship it to us and pay 100 euro total then ok maybe, but sheesh thats ridiculous!

Posted: Aug 22, 2018 at 10:36 Quote
That's a pain really, taking apart the bike and shipping it alone will cost an arm and a leg, plus parts! If they could ship the part you can ride the same day after replacing it.

Maybe they want to check the whole frame as well for other defects, who knows...

Posted: Aug 22, 2018 at 11:49 Quote
@lifted, thanks glad you also appreciate the stupidity...

@adespotoskyli all I can think is what you said at the end there, ie to check out the rest of the frame but I still think the customer should have a choice

Posted: Aug 22, 2018 at 12:26 Quote
Agree with you, posting a frame half the globe for inspection/repair/warranty or whatever is a joke, they should support locally esp. across continent, the sell direct but aftermarket support should be taken more serious, it ain't a blody email, it's a bike frame!

Posted: Aug 22, 2018 at 15:31 Quote
Are the cracking issues limited to carbon frames or are aluminum ones having issues too?

I kicked up a fist sized coral rock (I'm in Florida) and it put a nice little dent in the bottom of my frame. I wonder if carbon would have handled that as well.

Posted: Aug 23, 2018 at 14:08 Quote
there 2 cracks in the head tube of my Capra pro race and it took over 3 weeks to get an answer on the claim and they say it’s definitely Cracked but only in the B2 layer which they said it’s still alright to ride. But I don’t know about you be I won’t ride a bike with a Cracked frame and I can’t even Sale it because it’s Cracked so I’ll probably Throw It in the bin and buy a Devinci spartan frame now

Posted: Oct 29, 2018 at 9:01 Quote
DirtboxTom wrote:
I've had an absolute shocker with YT.

So at the beginning of summer the carbon fibre of my YT Capra seat stays got badly damaged. No big deal I thought - I'll contact YT and and buy the new part that they list on their website... IF ONLY IT HAD BEEN THAT EASY.

After the initial painful process of confirming that I was the original buyer of the bike, only then did they inform me that to get a new seat stay, I must send my entire frame back (with shock) to YT, for them to fix it. I responded, asking if they can just send me the part I need - I have already taken the old, broken seat stay off my bike, and just wanted the new one sent to me. Without any explanation, I have been told again that I must send the whole frame.

Can anyone shed some light on why on earth this is the process? Why should I incur whatever extortionate cost it will be to ship my entire frame to Germany? What if I had already thrown the useless, broken seat stay away? Why of why can't I just send them the 350EUR they're asking for, and them post me the damn part?

I cannot fathom their logic, but right now I'm seriously considering just buying a whole frame from another manufacturer (Transition Patrol most likely). YT have really pissed me off!

Edit: Here's a photo of the damage done by the rotated mech hanger:

I had the same fault on my bike - rear mech got caught in spokes, hanger ripped off and took a chunk of carbon with it.
I contacted YT and as I'm not the original owner, I can't even buy a new seat stay! So I used some epoxy and clamps to hold it all together.....bit of ring twitch every jump / landing I hit....

Posted: Oct 30, 2018 at 3:03 Quote
einriba wrote:

I had the same fault on my bike - rear mech got caught in spokes, hanger ripped off and took a chunk of carbon with it.
I contacted YT and as I'm not the original owner, I can't even buy a new seat stay! So I used some epoxy and clamps to hold it all together.....bit of ring twitch every jump / landing I hit....

Can you show us photos of the issue and of your repair please?

Posted: Nov 5, 2018 at 0:38 Quote
TibZ wrote:
einriba wrote:

Hi, I didn't take any photo's of the damage, just a side on shot of the mech hanging off. It was similar to the previous shots on this thread, but not as severe. The hanger seems to have rotated before snapping, hence taking a chunk of carbon with it.

However, I did take a photo during the fix process - I'll get a shot of the finished fix later this evening.

photo

Posted: Nov 5, 2018 at 10:31 Quote
einriba wrote:
TibZ wrote:
einriba wrote:

Here's the "fixed" pictures...

photo

photo

Posted: Nov 18, 2018 at 8:27 Quote
I have a jeffsy AL and recently spotted that the rear looks slightly miss aligned in relation to the seat tube/ front triangle. It works fine but really bothers me, is it something I should live with? Frame tolerances? or is it designed this way? anyone else noticed similar? Thanks.

photo

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.018844
Mobile Version of Website