Fox 34 SC rebound knob broken

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Fox 34 SC rebound knob broken
  • Previous Page
Posted: Aug 18, 2018 at 13:10 Quote
Hi guys
Looking for some advice..

I got a second-hand new 2019 Fox 34 SC on ebay and got installed on my bike on the same day it arrived. Finished the install and went ahead to adjust rebound to my weight, as soon as I touch the rebound knob I feel it bent and loose. It came out on my hand without even rotating it. The item wasn't very well packed and suffered some scratches during transport.

Do you see any chance it can be repaired or should I return it?

photo
photo

Thanks

Posted: Jun 15, 2019 at 18:11 Quote
Mine did the exact same thing, what did you end up doing? Seems like a dumb design to have such a large moment arm on that tiny screw

Posted: Oct 12, 2019 at 3:54 Quote
Did you repair it?, I have the same issue

Posted: Oct 13, 2019 at 5:05 Quote
Poor real world design there, such a long dial adjuster just adds leverage to
such a small delicate part.

Though I can't speak for Fox step cast, generaly these Fox adjusters tend to
fix onto the lower part of the rod that runs inside the fork, yours looks like
this lower part of rod has snapped, leaving me to believe that its a bigger part
to have to replace inside the fork, which will involve a strip down of that side fork leg
just to get at the problem.

Bike shop labour costs and no telling the cost for replacement parts, I would be
inclined to return if possible, though without checking with Fox its difficult to be sure
of the cost of the fix.

Whats the Fork four digit ID code on the fork leg near the stanchion seal.

O+
Posted: Sep 23, 2020 at 10:50 Quote
My wife's fork just did this. Noticed it was bent, turned the bike over the check it and it snapped off in my hand... Has anyone resolved this? Assume it will require damper replacement Frown

O+
Posted: Sep 29, 2020 at 8:45 Quote
craigez wrote:
My wife's fork just did this. Noticed it was bent, turned the bike over the check it and it snapped off in my hand... Has anyone resolved this? Assume it will require damper replacement Frown

My fork has done exactly the same as you described, TWICE. Very irritating.

I replaced it at my own cost the first time as part of a FIT4 upgrade, however im now pretty certain it's just a very bad design. Im about to submit a warranty claim so we will see what they say.

Posted: Oct 20, 2020 at 5:08 Quote
I have the same problem on my 32 SC 2017 shock. Snapped off. How can a designer make a robust knob that turns a tiny alu shaft . the force applied in any event is simply logic that it will sheer. Also with a knob that is almost 2 inches long it will wobble and cause a fracture. This is THE WORST design I have seen in a product in years. Diabolical.
Maybe our Youtube sensation Hambini should review this diabolical crappy worthless design.
FOX you should be hiding in your foxhole. That dark space..... and don't come out until you are prepared to fix this shiet design. We spend Good money after good design and this is what we get. A small stuff up in design and hundreds of riders have to suffer. And I mean hundreds. I have been monitoring this for a while.....
Come clean, FOX, and offer us a cheaper solution to your stuff-up!

Posted: Oct 20, 2020 at 11:08 Quote
If its of any help, link to a tech drawing.
Scroll down to first tech drawing, click on the right thumb nail
to enlarge.

https://www.ridefox.com/fox17/help.php?m=bike&id=955

Posted: Oct 25, 2020 at 22:44 Quote
Stephanvw wrote:
I have the same problem on my 32 SC 2017 shock. Snapped off. How can a designer make a robust knob that turns a tiny alu shaft . the force applied in any event is simply logic that it will sheer. Also with a knob that is almost 2 inches long it will wobble and cause a fracture. This is THE WORST design I have seen in a product in years. Diabolical.
Maybe our Youtube sensation Hambini should review this diabolical crappy worthless design.
FOX you should be hiding in your foxhole. That dark space..... and don't come out until you are prepared to fix this shiet design. We spend Good money after good design and this is what we get. A small stuff up in design and hundreds of riders have to suffer. And I mean hundreds. I have been monitoring this for a while.....
Come clean, FOX, and offer us a cheaper solution to your stuff-up!

There is a small workaround. The hex bolt is only long enough to occupy the depth of the knob.. If you replace the bolt with a longer one it will act as reinforcement. Think of it like this: aluminum adjuster shaft is soft.. If the bolt went all the way through it would act as the 'bone' and stiffen the shaft all the way up to where it enters the shock bar. The chances of the adjuster snapping / sheering off becomes less with all the vibration of the overly long (heavy in comparison) adjuster knob.
Another 'stupid' thing I noticed is that Fox put locktite on the tread of the bolt. Of coarse the frikken thin alu shaft will snap when you try and loosen the bolt.. A redesign is necessary.

Posted: Jan 15, 2021 at 10:46 Quote
Anyone have a successful warranty claim on this? I just had the same thing happen on a few month old fork and submitted my RA request.

O+
Posted: Jan 16, 2021 at 21:17 Quote
Add another one to the list Frown

Posted: Jan 17, 2021 at 19:05 Quote
TerryZechman wrote:
Add another one to the list Frown

Fox sent me a UPS label to send my fork in for a warranty assessment. I'm going to send it out this week, will update when I hear back. Suggest reaching out to them- we need to get it across that this is a design flaw.

Posted: Jan 30, 2021 at 15:02 Quote
Got my fork back today, Fox warrantied with no hassle. Reach out to them if you have the same issue.

Posted: Feb 20, 2021 at 19:50 Quote
Does any one have the actual part number for this rebound adj knob

Posted: Mar 1, 2021 at 23:47 Quote
Niner0158 wrote:
Does any one have the actual part number for this rebound adj knob
It depends. do you have:
Grip or fit stepcast?
27 or 29 wheels?
And it depends also what model year you have on the fork
You need to change the reboundadjuster if it have snapped like the picture above.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.014272
Mobile Version of Website