After 1 year riding, still cat land a single trick

PB Forum :: BMX (20")
After 1 year riding, still cat land a single trick
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Aug 19, 2018 at 8:48 Quote
Ive been riding bmx for a full year and cant land 180s or pullup bars or anything. I skateboarded for 10 years and was pretty decent. Bmx just seems to be the hardest sport in the world. Particularly for 180s I am left foot forward and Im better at spinning left and it comes more naturally. But spinning right feels more comfortable to my body (very wierd i know). I can spin and get a full 180 (using paint lines in a parking lot as reference) but I cant roll out. Any tips??

Posted: Sep 4, 2018 at 11:44 Quote
I am right there with you. It is very hard for me to nail things and I typically have to just do them hundreds of times over and over. I still can't roll out but I haven't dedicated enough time to it. I would suggest fining a curb or wall to bump into and then roll back. After 200 tries or so check back in and let us know how it's coming.

Posted: Sep 22, 2018 at 11:50 Quote
Fakies are a b*tch to master..

Try keeping your weight over the rear as you go backwards (although it comes natural to keep it over the bars, at least for me it does), it should help with stabilizing the bike allowing for a better spin..

To me the worst thing is being scared of failing (not falling).. That's what prevents me from learning even the easiest tricks..

Posted: Sep 26, 2018 at 8:25 Quote
You need to just keep at it. Over and over by yourself until you get better. If there is a single part of the trick that you keep messing up, try and consciously change how you do that part of the trick. Sounds simple, but I have a friend that was similar because he would keep doing the wrong thing the same way every time until it become muscle memory to do it wrong!

If you are left foot forward you will want to spin to the right. It will help you in the learning process, and you can't argue too much because what you have been doing isn't working for you.

For example
I am more natural throwing barspins with my right hand (And on a GT or Scooter I do ) but on a bmx because I am left foot forward it is WAY easier to throw with that hand. I tried for a long time to do bars... 10 mins throwing with my left hand in a foam pit and I learned them! 180's are kind of similar in that sense.

Best of luck man. Feel free to ask for help.

- Mace

Views: 232    Faves: 2    Comments: 0

Posted: Jan 15, 2019 at 19:02 Quote
If you're stuck on the rollout then practice fakies on a curb, once you have that dialed then try doing it with the 180. Also speed can be an issue, so maybe try going a little faster into it, hope my advice can help!
Brandooo wrote:
Ive been riding bmx for a full year and cant land 180s or pullup bars or anything. I skateboarded for 10 years and was pretty decent. Bmx just seems to be the hardest sport in the world. Particularly for 180s I am left foot forward and Im better at spinning left and it comes more naturally. But spinning right feels more comfortable to my body (very wierd i know). I can spin and get a full 180 (using paint lines in a parking lot as reference) but I cant roll out. Any tips??

Posted: Feb 22, 2019 at 12:46 Quote
Your spinning method and feet placement might be what's messing you up.

You typically roll-out the opposite direction of your forward foot, which usually is also reflected in your initial 180, you will need to figure out how to roll out before you can comfortably 180.

I found using a quarter pipe more effective for roll-out, sounds scary but, since you were a skater you know that it basically comes down to commitment. The extra speed you can get on the quarter pipe will help.

Keep at it once you nail it you won't want to stop and before you know it you'll be 360-ing everything in sight!

Posted: May 24, 2019 at 19:20 Quote
You just have to keep riding. I’m 36, and haven’t ridden bmx in ten years. I can still get on my bike and 180 either way, roll out, and ride famine (without a freecoaster). Everything take patience and practice. Ride as much as you can and don’t focus on “tricks.” Concentrate on riding fast and riding smooth. Carving and/or airing a bowl/quarter with style is much nicer to see then someone throwing a half ass barspin

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.216746
Mobile Version of Website