Shock Sizing 2018 Smuggler

PB Forum :: Transition
Shock Sizing 2018 Smuggler
  • Previous Page
Posted: Aug 21, 2018 at 20:32 Quote
Anyone run a 210x55 on their 2018 smuggler? Does the extra 5mm Stroke cause rubbing or will it work to get a tad more travel out of it?

O+
Posted: Aug 24, 2018 at 10:10 Quote
Do NOT try this. It will result in a damaged frame/seatpost when you bottom out and the swingarm makes violent contact with the seat tube.

Posted: Aug 24, 2018 at 16:07 Quote
garrisond5 wrote:
Do NOT try this. It will result in a damaged frame/seatpost when you bottom out and the swingarm makes violent contact with the seat tube.

That’s why I am doing research before I do it. Because I don’t want to damage my frame. A few guys have done it from what I can tell. Might order a custom stroke float x2. 210x52.5

Posted: Aug 24, 2018 at 19:49 Quote
I was also wondering about this, as this dude I know did something similar with the previous generation Smuggler. Thanks for posting that it's a bad idea.

Posted: Oct 7, 2018 at 15:39 Quote
Jonboy89 wrote:
garrisond5 wrote:

That’s why I am doing research before I do it. Because I don’t want to damage my frame. A few guys have done it from what I can tell. Might order a custom stroke float x2. 210x52.5

Did you end up getting that custom float?

Posted: Oct 8, 2018 at 14:57 Quote
garrisond5 wrote:

Hey just wondering, do you have some insider information on this? Or have you tried it yourself? I've found a few places where Smuggler owners are modding their bikes with success.

StudioVelo posted on their instagram that they fitted a DHX2 at 210x55 here and here.

And there is a pinkbike buy/seller who is advertising a DPX2 at that size as an upgrade for a Smuggler or GG Trail Pistol. I messaged him and he said there's a 1cm gap between the seatstay bridge and the seat tube when fully compressed.

Also these guys. There's a bike shop in Bend who recommends various shocks that improve the ride of the new SBG smugglers.

I'm thinking of maybe fitting a Topaz or DPX2 on my smuggler after the winter and just seeing if there's any benefit to fitting a 52.5 or 55mm shock to squeeze a bit extra travel out of an already awesome bike.

Posted: Oct 14, 2018 at 22:01 Quote
gbeaks33 wrote:
garrisond5 wrote:

Hey just wondering, do you have some insider information on this? Or have you tried it yourself? I've found a few places where Smuggler owners are modding their bikes with success.

StudioVelo posted on their instagram that they fitted a DHX2 at 210x55 here and here.

And there is a pinkbike buy/seller who is advertising a DPX2 at that size as an upgrade for a Smuggler or GG Trail Pistol. I messaged him and he said there's a 1cm gap between the seatstay bridge and the seat tube when fully compressed.

Also these guys. There's a bike shop in Bend who recommends various shocks that improve the ride of the new SBG smugglers.

I'm thinking of maybe fitting a Topaz or DPX2 on my smuggler after the winter and just seeing if there's any benefit to fitting a 52.5 or 55mm shock to squeeze a bit extra travel out of an already awesome bike.

@gbeaks33:

When I look at the two IG posts you link to, I'm not seeing any reference to the Fox DHX2 being a 55mm stroke. (I looked through several more of their posts before and after and didn't see it either). Yes, the caption on one of those two posts does say "Custom DHX2 rear shock", but if you look at Fox's page for the DHX2, it doesn't come in 210 x 50, or 210 x 55. So, to me, them saying it's a "custom" shock simply means that Fox made them a custom 210 x 50 version, same as a stock Smuggler shock.

Also, looking at the Project Bike Bend page you link to, it states the bike still has the stock 120mm of travel (vs 132mm, which would result from having a 55mm stroke shock) after the shock swap, and no mention of the shock being a 55mm stroke in the specs.

To all, here is my real-world experiment that shows a 55mm-stroke shock won't work:

--Take off rear shock
--Move rear wheel through its travel until the distance between shock mount bolt holes equals 155mm (210mm eye-to-eye length minus 55mm of stroke = 155mm)
--See that seatstay bridge hits back of seat tube before you can get that eye-to-eye measurement down to 155mm. It actually makes contact (on my particular Smuggler) at 157mm, so, at about 53mm of stroke (when starting from 210mm).

So they're already cutting it really close with the 50mm stroke on there!

O+
Posted: Oct 15, 2018 at 9:54 Quote
Hey Guys. I live in Bend and deal with the Project Bike guys exclusively. The shock that John used is the same as stock measurements 210x50. I spoke with Lars and Skye at Transition about long stroking it and they both said I would run into interference with the seat tube and seat stay brace if going any longer. I put a 210x50 DPX2 on mine and it made a big difference in ride quality. I have ridden my Smuggler on everything that I used to ride my 160/140mm Norco sight and it is every bit as capable. I personally don't need any more for my riding needs. FYI I love drops and jumps and have dropped an 8 foot pier drop to a nice transition as well as multiple 3-4 foot drops to flat, with no bottoming and I am not a small guy. 6'3" 210lbs.

Posted: Oct 15, 2018 at 10:56 Quote
garrisond5 wrote:
Hey Guys. I live in Bend and deal with the Project Bike guys exclusively. The shock that John used is the same as stock measurements 210x50. I spoke with Lars and Skye at Transition about long stroking it and they both said I would run into interference with the seat tube and seat stay brace if going any longer. I put a 210x50 DPX2 on mine and it made a big difference in ride quality. I have ridden my Smuggler on everything that I used to ride my 160/140mm Norco sight and it is every bit as capable. I personally don't need any more for my riding needs. FYI I love drops and jumps and have dropped an 8 foot pier drop to a nice transition as well as multiple 3-4 foot drops to flat, with no bottoming and I am not a small guy. 6'3" 210lbs.

Awesome this is the info I was after. I messaged back and fourth with another pinkbike user about this and he supplied me with those links, and I just blindly assumed a random person on the internet was an expert on the topic. I can't believed I was misled! Just was hoping to find someone who's done some experimenting.

I'm 6'5, 205lbs and find the stock shock is ok but doesn't match the performance of the 36.

I am having trouble finding a 210x50 shock in Canada. US retailers won't ship fox or dvo products to Canada due to dealer restrictions and it literally costs almost double from a shop or distributor. Tons of 210x55 options used so thought I might be able to find a deal and more travel. Looking at a dpx2 or a topaz.

Thoughts on an MRP Hazard with these so called progressive springs? That kinda sounds interesting.

O+
Posted: Oct 17, 2018 at 13:57 Quote
I looked at the MRP shock as well and that may be a future upgrade, but after multiple emails with the Transition guys about shocks I decided to stick with the progressive nature of air shocks. Skye at Transition explained it best. He said if you travel a lot to different riding spots the coil is nice since you are typically riding slower than you would on local trails and it "mobs over everything". If you are more of a local rider the higher speeds and input from the rider will quickly overwhelm a coil shock because of the lack of progression in the spring curve. That said, the hazard shock with the progressive spring may be the best of both worlds. I really like how the DPX2 performs though and probably won't make that change any time soon.

Posted: Oct 18, 2018 at 14:19 Quote
garrisond5 wrote:
I looked at the MRP shock as well and that may be a future upgrade, but after multiple emails with the Transition guys about shocks I decided to stick with the progressive nature of air shocks. Skye at Transition explained it best. He said if you travel a lot to different riding spots the coil is nice since you are typically riding slower than you would on local trails and it "mobs over everything". If you are more of a local rider the higher speeds and input from the rider will quickly overwhelm a coil shock because of the lack of progression in the spring curve. That said, the hazard shock with the progressive spring may be the best of both worlds. I really like how the DPX2 performs though and probably won't make that change any time soon.

Yeah good call. If money were no option I'd like to have a DPX2 and a coil option to swap back and fourth. But i'm too cheap and lazy to do that.

Posted: Oct 23, 2018 at 3:40 Quote
garrisond5 - When you ordered a dpx2 for your bike what tune did you specify? Fox ID code?

O+
Posted: Oct 24, 2018 at 13:10 Quote
I had the shop confer with Transition on what tune to order. I don't know off the top of my head but I can get you the Fox ID code next time I go home.

Posted: Oct 24, 2018 at 15:22 Quote
garrisond5 wrote:
I had the shop confer with Transition on what tune to order. I don't know off the top of my head but I can get you the Fox ID code next time I go home.

I'd be interested to know this as well!

O+
Posted: Nov 12, 2018 at 11:18 Quote
DG9C is the tune ID on my DPX2 FYI. Sorry about the delay.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.012746
Mobile Version of Website