Shock Sizing 2018 Smuggler

PB Forum :: Transition
Shock Sizing 2018 Smuggler
O+
Posted: Oct 29, 2019 at 7:36 Quote
Reviving an old thread...

Is it possible to use offset bushings to help with clearance issues on the seat tube running a 55mm stroke?

I would love to be able to run more rear travel so it balances increasing fork travel.

Posted: Oct 29, 2019 at 9:41 Quote
MtnGoat-WTR wrote:

Is it possible to use offset bushings to help with clearance issues on the seat tube running a 55mm stroke?

I would love to be able to run more rear travel so it balances increasing fork travel.

I'm not sure but I'd think it wouldn't work, the interference is a physical one with the rocker bridge or whatever making contact with the seat tube. Not fully sure how offset bushings work but I think that limitation would still be in place. I've read that a 52.5mm stroke will work but not a 55mm.

O+
Posted: Oct 29, 2019 at 10:43 Quote
MtnGoat-WTR wrote:

Why don't you just buy a bike with more travel, rather than trying to make it something it isn't?

O+
Posted: Nov 13, 2019 at 14:46 Quote
Because the SBG Smuggler has geometry numbers and wheelbase that I want for an all around very capable bike but those numbers make for a bike that can go downhill fast on all kinds of rowdy trails but the short suspension can’t keep up to how fast the bike can go. I believe the next Smuggler will address this. But, for the cost of a new shock and an offset bushing I can bump up the travel to 132mm and I’ll add 10 or 20mm to my fork to make it 150 or 160mm and see how it does.

O+
Posted: Nov 13, 2019 at 15:32 Quote
I have a cane creek IL coil on my SBG smuggler. The stock 210×50 had a 7mm spacer in it. I talked to cane creek and they sent me a 5mm. They said it would probably give me about 5mm more travel. I only got one day on it with the extra 5mm before the snow flew. Can't say I noticed any difference. However, the coil vs air has been amazing. I had a topaz on before and thought that was fantastic compared to the DPS. Also running a fox 36 set at 160mm. I have not found any downside to it, climbs no differently, way smoother on the techy/janky downs.

FL
Posted: Nov 21, 2019 at 1:21 Quote
MtnGoat-WTR wrote:

I read someone's post on a mtbr forum thread, where they were apparently using one offset bush to run their coil shock at 55mm stroke.

Their exact words "I’ll have one offset bushing only to increase the eye2eye of the linkage to get the clearance. Cane Creek DBCoil IL at 210x55."

Posted: Dec 14, 2019 at 15:34 Quote
photo
I run a 210x55 DPX2 from a stumpy evo 29 in my alloy medium. I have the largest volume spacer as well and have never had contact with the frame when running recommended sag. This is my only bike and gets ridden everywhere from xc to lift access. I run a 150 36 out front as well.

Posted: Dec 15, 2019 at 4:58 Quote
Interesting. I had the DPX2 coming off a Stumpy Evo but it had 210×50. I did not get any further since the tune with the fixed low-speed compression on M+ didn't work out at all for me. Right now, I have another DPX2 in my Smuggler that has a Low tune and that works perfectly.

Posted: Dec 15, 2019 at 18:45 Quote
Yes you are correct that it was 210x50 but the previous owner had removed the spacer to long stroke it.

O+
Posted: Apr 2, 2020 at 14:47 Quote
Not a ton of value, but:

I tried fitting a 210 x 55mm Topaz T3 on my 2018 Smuggler. It did cause the linkage to contact the seat tube.

I didn't have a 2.5mm spacer, so I could not try fitting 201 x 52.5mm; however based on the o-ring, I suspect it would "just" fit. I'm going to order a 2.5mm spacer from DVO and try (or just make my own).

Fitting the 210 x 50mm did of course work, as it is designed to; between it being -16C outside, and COVID-19, I have not yet had the opportunity to go out and test it yet.

FL
Posted: Apr 5, 2020 at 3:59 Quote
billg wrote:
Not a ton of value, but:

I tried fitting a 210 x 55mm Topaz T3 on my 2018 Smuggler. It did cause the linkage to contact the seat tube.

I didn't have a 2.5mm spacer, so I could not try fitting 201 x 52.5mm; however based on the o-ring, I suspect it would "just" fit. I'm going to order a 2.5mm spacer from DVO and try (or just make my own).

Fitting the 210 x 50mm did of course work, as it is designed to; between it being -16C outside, and COVID-19, I have not yet had the opportunity to go out and test it yet.

I've got a 210x50mm SRsuntour TriAir, I took the 5mm spacer out and found the linkage contacted as well (obviously as they are much the same shock) I have put a 2.5mm spacer in mine to see and it just clears by about 1mm. But if you bounce on the seat a bit it still contacts.

I'm thinking you would have to be a brave man to run the 2.5mm without at least one offset bush...

Posted: May 7, 2020 at 7:16 Quote
Hi everyone,
I'm about to order a new shock for my smuggler. Decided on the CC DBCoil IL, but not sure if I need the open end eye or not. My bike is currently in the shop getting a tune-up and I can't just look at it.
EDIT: never mind, figured it out.

O+ FL
Posted: Jul 2, 2020 at 23:42 Quote
Can anyone confirm if a 210x52.5 shock will fit a 2018 smuggler

Posted: Jul 4, 2020 at 8:48 Quote
I think it will work in the alloy frame but the carbon one is likely too tight for any extension of travel

Posted: Jul 4, 2020 at 9:20 Quote
wellbastardfast wrote:
Can anyone confirm if a 210x52.5 shock will fit a 2018 smuggler

Cannot confirm as I haven't done it myself but from what I've read around online, it will not work.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.018323
Mobile Version of Website