Shock Sizing 2018 Smuggler

PB Forum :: Transition
Shock Sizing 2018 Smuggler
O+ FL
Posted: Jul 4, 2020 at 10:18 Quote
Getting mixed messages some say you can others say you can't.

Read on PB you can fit 210x55 shocks as well.

Posted: Jul 4, 2020 at 10:33 Quote
wellbastardfast wrote:
Getting mixed messages some say you can others say you can't.

Read on PB you can fit 210x55 shocks as well.

Literally right above your post another user wrote this: "I've got a 210x50mm SRsuntour TriAir, I took the 5mm spacer out and found the linkage contacted as well (obviously as they are much the same shock) I have put a 2.5mm spacer in mine to see and it just clears by about 1mm. But if you bounce on the seat a bit it still contacts.

I'm thinking you would have to be a brave man to run the 2.5mm without at least one offset bush..."

As I said, I haven't tried it myself. I run a 210x50mm DPX2 that came from a Stumpjumper EVO and clearance is tight when fully bottomed out. I ride it everywhere and doesn't stop me from doing anything. I've also had to warranty my Smuggler twice due to cracked frames so I personally am not taking any additional chances with an expensive carbon frame and wouldn't recommend anyone else do that either.

O+ FL
Posted: Jul 4, 2020 at 10:36 Quote
I have an alloy one mate and i have seen people say they have ran 55 strokes length.

Tbh I'm leaning on doing what you said and throwing a dpx on there at 210x50.

Posted: Jul 5, 2020 at 3:47 Quote
wellbastardfast wrote:
I have an alloy one mate and i have seen people say they have ran 55 strokes length.

Tbh I'm leaning on doing what you said and throwing a dpx on there at 210x50.

A DPX makes a big difference already. You can also just unmount your shock and measure how much lenght you have until the linkage contacts the seat tube. My alloy would have cleared a 52,5 stroke. But, that gives you about 5mm more travel and the question is if you would feel that at all when riding.
The Smuggler already has a very linear ratio and that makes you use the 120mm quite well while having not that much bottom out support. On the other hand, it makes the bike feel like it has more travel simply because you dont waste travel on progessivity. Another extreme would be some of the YT designs where you have nominal 160mm travel but due to high progressivity, I only used 70% on the bike.

FL
Posted: Jul 5, 2020 at 3:57 Quote
wellbastardfast wrote:
Can anyone confirm if a 210x52.5 shock will fit a 2018 smuggler

As stated a few posts ago.

On my 2018 large alloy Smuggler with a TriAir with a 2.5mm travel spacer, the rocker cross brace just stops short of the seat tube, but if I bounce on the seat a bit it very lightly contacts the seat tube. See the below post from billg and then my response.

billg wrote:
Not a ton of value, but:

I tried fitting a 210 x 55mm Topaz T3 on my 2018 Smuggler. It did cause the linkage to contact the seat tube.

I didn't have a 2.5mm spacer, so I could not try fitting 201 x 52.5mm; however based on the o-ring, I suspect it would "just" fit. I'm going to order a 2.5mm spacer from DVO and try (or just make my own).

Fitting the 210 x 50mm did of course work, as it is designed to; between it being -16C outside, and COVID-19, I have not yet had the opportunity to go out and test it yet.

Then this was my reply to billg..

I've got a 210x50mm SRsuntour TriAir, I took the 5mm spacer out and found the linkage contacted as well (obviously as they are much the same shock) I have put a 2.5mm spacer in mine to see and it just clears by about 1mm. But if you bounce on the seat a bit it still contacts.

I'm thinking you would have to be a brave man to run the 2.5mm without at least one offset bush...

O+
Posted: Aug 7, 2020 at 14:06 Quote
I've been running a DVO Topaz 210x52.5 on my medium 2018 Carbon Smuggler for about 5 months now with no issues. I'm 190lbs geared up and ride in on everything from local trails to jumpy bike park runs. It's close but I have never had the rear triangle contact the seat post.

I did initially try it with one offset bushing but didn't like the feel of the raised rear end.

FL
Posted: Sep 7, 2021 at 5:55 Quote
For those interested in some extra travel here is my current Smuggler configuration.

216x63 TRIAIR with a 5mm travel spacer to make it 58mm stroke, this gives me about 2mm seattube clearance.

To bring the geo back to almost factory I'm running a 27.5 rear wheel.

So now running somewhere around 138mm rear travel with the fork at 150mm.

photo

Posted: Sep 11, 2021 at 20:12 Quote
Awesome work man!! That is exactly what I'd like to get to experiment with. Where do you source the travel spacer from? I'm assuming that difficultywise its about like doing a shock service, when adding in the spacer?

Thanks!!

Kerry

FL
Posted: Sep 12, 2021 at 7:07 Quote
So the travel spacer I got from DVO. It is the same spacer for the DVO Topaz/SR Suntour TriAir. And the beauty of the triair/topaz spacer is that it is slotted so you can interchange them without performing a full shock service.

They come in 2.5mm, 5mm and 7.5mm.

Posted: Sep 16, 2021 at 2:30 Quote
I'm running a 210x55 CC DB IL Coil on my 2018 Smuggler AL.

I guess the 55 stroke only works on larger AL frames.

Cascade offers a linkage for the smuggler with higher progression and 140mm of travel with the 55mm stroke

FL
Posted: Sep 16, 2021 at 4:28 Quote
mtb-michl wrote:
I'm running a 210x55 CC DB IL Coil on my 2018 Smuggler AL.

I guess the 55 stroke only works on larger AL frames.

Cascade offers a linkage for the smuggler with higher progression and 140mm of travel with the 55mm stroke

There appears to be lots of variances in clearance between different alloy frames.

Mine is a 2018 large and with the original shock at 55mm the seat stay bridge contacts the seat tube a good 3mm before the stroke bottoms out.

Some frames it clears some it doesn't.

Posted: Nov 4, 2021 at 19:39 Quote
The cascade linkage arrived and I was able to borrow the 210x55 topaz off a friends bike to see how it all fit together. Everything clears!! About 3/16" to spare, looked like a hair over 1/4" with the stock link installed. We'll see how she rides, will update the thread with thoughts

photo

photo

Posted: Nov 4, 2021 at 20:51 Quote
burnskiez wrote:
The cascade linkage arrived and I was able to borrow the 210x55 topaz off a friends bike to see how it all fit together. Everything clears!! About 3/16" to spare, looked like a hair over 1/4" with the stock link installed. We'll see how she rides, will update the thread with thoughts

photo

photo

Is this the Aluminum or Carbon frame?

Posted: Nov 5, 2021 at 9:56 Quote
Its the carbon frame, xl size. So I've probably got the most leeway possible. I think this configuration would make a super ideal bike for a lot of people, but I wonder what sizes it ends up working with. Here's a picture of the bike not bottomed out, stoked to get her out for a shred today.

photo

Posted: Nov 8, 2021 at 4:29 Quote
Same here, XL Carbon frame. Using a 210x50 shock but in theory there would be clearance for at least 60mm stroke.
Had a few rides with the cascade link now, can recommend Wink
photo

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.026680
Mobile Version of Website