Old Ghost Road weather Feb

PB Forum :: Australia / New-Zealand
Old Ghost Road weather Feb
  • Previous Page
Posted: Aug 24, 2018 at 10:09 Quote
Plan to do bike trip to New Zealand in Feb 2019.
Was thinking 1week Rotorua and some days in Nelson.

How about Old Ghost Road is it worth it over some days and nights on mtb.
How often and longtime does it rain up on mountains in Feb.

Posted: Aug 25, 2018 at 1:20 Quote
Old Ghost Road is a good ride. It took us 2 days to ride and we booked huts.

O+
Posted: Aug 26, 2018 at 17:18 Quote
Old Ghost Road is well worth the time.
Epic views and great track.
Huts need to be booked well in advance from memory as they book out quickly.
Feb the weather is usually good.

Posted: Sep 6, 2018 at 15:42 Quote
Feb traditionally has the best weather, however the Ghost Rd is on the West coast, an area notorious for insane amounts of rain, it's pretty much the last place on the planet that will ever have a drought!
Pack as though you are expecting to get wet.
Also the Hut's in summertime on this track you can expect to be booked out up to 6 months in advance.
Insanely beautiful trail though.

Posted: Sep 6, 2018 at 16:28 Quote
Thanks for rain info tup
I will check the Huts booking too.

Posted: Sep 10, 2018 at 0:54 Quote
Uppdate,Have now booked two huts on old ghost. Now looking for shuttle and place to stay before/after tour. Lyell Seddonwille or other?

Posted: Sep 11, 2018 at 18:46 Quote
We stayed in Murchison before and after. Also there is a lodge at the end in Seddonville with some cold drinks and pizza. You can pay for a shower or stay there. Don't have any recommendations for shuttles as we had a car delivered to the other side while we were riding.

Posted: Sep 14, 2018 at 0:18 Quote
I usually stay at Bazil's backpackers in Westport. awesome place!
https://www.bazils.com/

Posted: Dec 31, 2018 at 11:14 Quote
Stay in murchison the night before and then take the bus to lyell (lyell is a historic town not a current one and there is literally nothing there).
The bus will take your bike for an extra $10, just pay the driver cash.
There are atleast a couple of shuttle company's to pick you up from seddonville, or you can ride 60kms of mostly flat road to westport for the bus.
The lazy cow hostel in murchison was a great place to stay

Posted: Jan 2, 2019 at 3:19 Quote
Sorry, forgot to tell. Have booked https://www.bullerbridgemotel.co.nz/ before and after OGR and shuttle from there.

Posted: Jan 7, 2019 at 2:53 Quote
im coming over from the uk on holiday to do the old ghost road in february. I have booked my shuttle and hut but cant decide whether to hire a bike in nz or bring my own. Hopefully it will be good weather.

Posted: Jan 7, 2019 at 5:08 Quote
pigsnacks wrote:
im coming over from the uk on holiday to do the old ghost road in february. I have booked my shuttle and hut but cant decide whether to hire a bike in nz or bring my own. Hopefully it will be good weather.
I bring my own. No extra cost, just switch luggage to large bikebag. Check with airline options.

FL
Posted: Jan 11, 2019 at 2:20 Quote
To both of you coming to NZ I live in Christchurch, opposite coast from old ghost road but only 250km or so away. Feb is probably the most settled month along with march. It may get wet but will be warm. That is the pick of the months to go.

Ive ridden the heli downhill to the top and down into Lyell. Take insect repellant as the sandflies in Lyell are BRUTAL!

You'll love the ride the trail really is incredible

Posted: Jan 11, 2019 at 13:17 Quote
I think i have to bring my own bike its 30kg baggage from uk but only 23kg auckland to christchurch. But Im having to hire a bigger car and travelling with the family its going to be a challenge but worth it i think.

I know they do get some rain on the west coast but hopefully we will hit the weather lucky.
i really cant wait to get there.

Posted: Feb 25, 2019 at 18:52 Quote
I made it. Lost best top view in fog but nice anyway
photo

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.011166
Mobile Version of Website