close
Pinkbike is now part of Outside! As of December 3, 2021, please refer to the Outside Terms of Use and Privacy Policy which govern your use of the Pinkbike website and services.

How often should you replace your helmet?

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
How often should you replace your helmet?
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Aug 27, 2018 at 9:53 Quote
So here is a bit of debatable subject. I am possibly after a new helmet as i have had my MET Terra helmet since 2015.
I have heard that you should change your helmet every 3 to 5 years even if there are no marks or any visual damage to the helmet it self. I have not crashed with this helmet although i think i have dropped it a few times over the years. I have heard some people keep there helmet for years and don't bother getting a new one until they crash or something. What is everyone's opinion on this subject?

Thanks!

Posted: Aug 27, 2018 at 15:16 Quote
Keep it till it breaks in my opinion. Only change it if you want a more modern lid with more up to date protection like MIPs etc. I don't see any reason why it would need changed provided it hasn't had any big hits.

Posted: Aug 27, 2018 at 15:19 Quote
Davec85 wrote:
Keep it till it breaks in my opinion. Only change it if you want a more modern lid with more up to date protection like MIPs etc. I don't see any reason why it would need changed provided it hasn't had any big hits.

The US body the Snell Foundation and many helmet manufacturers recommend that you replace your helmet every five years. The Snell Foundation says that glues, resins and other materials used in helmet production can affect liner materials. Plus hair oils, body fluids and cosmetics, as well as normal “wear and tear” all contribute to helmet degradation. Petroleum based products present in cleaners, paints, fuels and other commonly encountered materials may also degrade materials used in many helmets possibly degrading performance.

Posted: Aug 27, 2018 at 15:47 Quote
alexdesignz wrote:
Davec85 wrote:

The US body the Snell Foundation and many helmet manufacturers recommend that you replace your helmet every five years. The Snell Foundation says that glues, resins and other materials used in helmet production can affect liner materials. Plus hair oils, body fluids and cosmetics, as well as normal “wear and tear” all contribute to helmet degradation. Petroleum based products present in cleaners, paints, fuels and other commonly encountered materials may also degrade materials used in many helmets possibly degrading performance.

In the case of helmets if you road race moto, your required to have a helmet no more than 3 years old. If you crash, and scar the helmet, it needs to be replaced immediately. Granted, the speeds are Much higher, so you fall much harder, but in the end, how much is your head worth..? Not saying you need to do this with a mtb helmet, just use your better judgment.

Posted: Aug 27, 2018 at 18:25 Quote
I replace my helmet every time I have a really big crash

Posted: Aug 28, 2018 at 9:06 Quote
Thanks everyone for your views.

Posted: Aug 28, 2018 at 20:57 Quote
If you know the helmet’s history, it could last a long, long time. Could probably use a brand new helmet from the 90’s if it was kept in climate controlled facility & not subject to wear or sun.

Posted: Nov 15, 2021 at 5:05 Quote
I replace mine every 3-3.5 years or after any impact to the helmet from crashing, and usually have two or three helmets in rotation.

Posted: Nov 17, 2021 at 3:21 Quote
Change mine if damaged or big hit, use a modded cover for light and battery mounts and solas reflective glow strips,
this helps wth UV and abrasive hits

Posted: Dec 6, 2021 at 13:14 Quote
natas2125 wrote:
I replace mine every 3-3.5 years or after any impact to the helmet from crashing, and usually have two or three helmets in rotation.

Agreed, definitely replace mine every 3-4 years also, I end up giving it away to someone in need who doesn't mind having an older and possibly expired helmet. For me though, I value the stuff inside my skull and the ability to wipe my own ass

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.006087
Mobile Version of Website