commencal clash

PB Forum :: Commencal
commencal clash
Author Message
Posted: Dec 7, 2019 at 9:50 Quote
BB height can be measured 2 ways.
1. From the ground when not sitting on the bike(changes when you sit on the bike).
2. In relation to the wheel axles, so -12 being 12mm lower than the wheel axles(better way IMO to measure it, but harder to compare bikes with different wheel sizes).

Posted: Dec 7, 2019 at 11:57 Quote
Startgas wrote:
BB height can be measured 2 ways.
1. From the ground when not sitting on the bike(changes when you sit on the bike).
2. In relation to the wheel axles, so -12 being 12mm lower than the wheel axles(better way IMO to measure it, but harder to compare bikes with different wheel sizes).

ok that makes sense. Thanks for the explanation Smile

so does anyone with a Clash have any idea what the Bottom Bracket height is from the ground up to the center of the Bottom Bracket??

I want to know before making a decision because here on the East coast we have a ton of rocks, and not smacking my pedal on every rock is a huge part of what frame I decide on..

Thanks again..

Posted: Dec 8, 2019 at 16:13 Quote
tkdbboy wrote:
The 2019 was 230x60 which essentially is a 230x65 with a 5mm spacer in it.
Works the same with Capras and how their 160mm and 170mm models are different.

But what also doesn't make sense is that an extra 5mm stroke will give like ~10mm extra travel depending on the leverage ratio.


Sorry im new to Dual sus and this Clash is my very first Dually, My mate jsut gave me a 230x60 DPX2 from his Meta V4, I'm wondering if I can fit the shocks as is on my Clash 2019?

Posted: Dec 14, 2019 at 8:25 Quote
I notice you are running XT 11 speed and was wondering if you are having any issues with the chain rubbing on the chain stay? I want to get a 2020 Clash and run shimano XT 11 speed with a 30 tooth chainring, but i've read a lot of people having rubbing issues? I also read about a possible new hanger on the 2020 models that fixes this problem? anyone know if that is true?

AlexNIN wrote:
,
,

My new Clash in Raw Aluminum. This bike rips! I built it for the bike park but it actually pedals and climbs surprisingly well and I've raced an Enduro with it and taken it to local flow trails. It can really do it all.
Fox 36 Grip 2 with Push ACS3 coil upgrade 170mm travel, Fox DHX2
XT 1x11, XT front brakes Zee rear, Zee cranks, MRP bashguide, DMR Vault Brendog Pedals
Chromag Trailmaster DT saddle and Chromag Squarewave grips
Spank Spike Bearclaw 777 Vibrocore bar and 50 mm stem
9.8 Fall line dropper 150mm
Stans Flow wheelset with Schwalbe Dirty Dan front and Magic Mary rear

Posted: Dec 14, 2019 at 13:40 Quote
redman733 wrote:
I notice you are running XT 11 speed and was wondering if you are having any issues with the chain rubbing on the chain stay? I want to get a 2020 Clash and run shimano XT 11 speed with a 30 tooth chainring, but i've read a lot of people having rubbing issues? I also read about a possible new hanger on the 2020 models that fixes this problem? anyone know if that is true?

AlexNIN wrote:
,
,

My new Clash in Raw Aluminum. This bike rips! I built it for the bike park but it actually pedals and climbs surprisingly well and I've raced an Enduro with it and taken it to local flow trails. It can really do it all.
Fox 36 Grip 2 with Push ACS3 coil upgrade 170mm travel, Fox DHX2
XT 1x11, XT front brakes Zee rear, Zee cranks, MRP bashguide, DMR Vault Brendog Pedals
Chromag Trailmaster DT saddle and Chromag Squarewave grips
Spank Spike Bearclaw 777 Vibrocore bar and 50 mm stem
9.8 Fall line dropper 150mm
Stans Flow wheelset with Schwalbe Dirty Dan front and Magic Mary rear

I run a 2019 Clash with M8000 11spd. The chain interfered with the rubber chainstay guard slightly. I had to cut the guard away a bit and helitape the parts of the frame where the guard was. No issues since.

Posted: Dec 14, 2019 at 16:52 Quote
antigit wrote:
redman733 wrote:
I notice you are running XT 11 speed and was wondering if you are having any issues with the chain rubbing on the chain stay? I want to get a 2020 Clash and run shimano XT 11 speed with a 30 tooth chainring, but i've read a lot of people having rubbing issues? I also read about a possible new hanger on the 2020 models that fixes this problem? anyone know if that is true?

AlexNIN wrote:
,
,

My new Clash in Raw Aluminum. This bike rips! I built it for the bike park but it actually pedals and climbs surprisingly well and I've raced an Enduro with it and taken it to local flow trails. It can really do it all.
Fox 36 Grip 2 with Push ACS3 coil upgrade 170mm travel, Fox DHX2
XT 1x11, XT front brakes Zee rear, Zee cranks, MRP bashguide, DMR Vault Brendog Pedals
Chromag Trailmaster DT saddle and Chromag Squarewave grips
Spank Spike Bearclaw 777 Vibrocore bar and 50 mm stem
9.8 Fall line dropper 150mm
Stans Flow wheelset with Schwalbe Dirty Dan front and Magic Mary rear

I run a 2019 Clash with M8000 11spd. The chain interfered with the rubber chainstay guard slightly. I had to cut the guard away a bit and helitape the parts of the frame where the guard was. No issues since.

Same thing with mine. It rubbed a little on the rubber gaurd, I tore off a small piece of it and put 2 zip ties on. No problems since.

Posted: Dec 14, 2019 at 16:54 Quote
I run a 34t front ring

Posted: Dec 18, 2019 at 14:09 Quote
Recently i bought a commencal clash frame. And i bought a shock but it came with transition bearing hardware. İ still dont received the frame. Will this fit? 28mm wide. İcan change the bearings for bolt size.

Posted: Jan 6, 2020 at 12:42 Quote
Hi guys! Im considering between the clash 2020 and a propain spindrift 2020 for a new custom build ( i only need the frame and a shock since i have everything else. The propain is a 180 mm front and rear « freeride » bike or superenduro, that is said to be decent to pedal uphill. It has a slacker hta and a steeper sta, but us also more linear and the rear linkage seems a bit bothersome for rocks and sticks. I need the bike to pedal good since my rides are mosttly hardcore enduro tracks with 10-25 km of road pedaling and 2000m vertical height, followed by a rough dh tracks with loads of roots, rockgardens and stuff. What would you recommend me? Is 180 mm rear travel a bit of overkill or 15 mm extra wont be that bad?

Posted: Jan 12, 2020 at 21:00 Quote
Ok so I've been meaning to post my new bike here for a while now, after previously chiming in to this thread for advice on models and frame sizes etc. I wanted to wait until I had a bit more seat time though to give a decent review and until after I had finished making a few planned modifications.

Here is my 2020 Clash Race in medium. I am 177cm tall and I debated for a long time over getting a size large, but the medium feels perfect for me and I don't regret my decision. I think that the large would have felt pretty good as well. The first mod was an unplanned new Hope Fortus 30 rear wheel with Pro 4 hub after I came up short on a creek gap. I tell you that wasn't much fun at all and the first big crash I've had in years! Can't blame the bike though, I just got a bit cocky and went for an A option jump on my second lap ever in a new bike park. The rear rim folded and kinked a little so not salvageable. The Spank rear hub is a nice one and I intend to build a new wheel from it sometime. Other mods now include:
- Hope Tech 3 levers with V4 calipers & Hope floating rotors
- The trusty ol' Blackspire titanium axle pedals which have been mounted on a number of my previous rides, solid pedals!
- Spank 800 Race Vibrocore handlebars
- Blackspire ISCG05 half mount bash gaurd

Out of the box, the KS dropper was faulty (wouldn't slam all the way down, and had about 25mm of float in it at any point you locked it in at). Props to Commencal Australia, who paid for the shipping and organised pickup from my location, and I had the post repaired by an authorised agent and returned to me in under a week. I read a fair bit into after sales support of a few brands before deciding on the Clash as it was something important to me, and I'm happy to say that the guys at Commencal were very helpful.

Ride impressions..... I was finally able to ride this bike on some flow trails and a couple of black and double black DH trails down at Bright in Victoria over Christmas, all of which we used shuttle services to get to. On the fast flow trails the bike was in it's element, it handled the speed and the jumps well and was super playful in the air and in the corners. Thankfully I'd had a few rides under my belt already and been able to dial in my suspension settings, and any of the chop coming into the corners at speed didn't bother me at all (was similar to the braking bumps you get coming into corners on flow trails at Whistler) and it floated over them nicely without jarring my hands or bucking me. I was hitting all the A lines on the jumps trails and it felt amazing, and at one point I sailed a decent sized double to flat and whilst it was a harsh landing I felt that had I been on my old 6" Process it would've been a pretty rough landing at best. The DH trails were steep, rocky and rooty but dry, and I was really happy with how it performed there as well. At no point even on the double black did I feel like I'd taken on too much with this bike, I felt comfortable and confident to handle the conditions. I have also rode the bike at a couple of smaller bike parks with flow and DH trails and it has been great there also. I will say that if it's on not so steep trails this bike can feel a bit cumbersome to ride, and this takes the fun out of riding it a little. But man, introduce some gravity and it comes to life. The faster and steeper it is, the more fun it is to ride. I want to note that I wasn't a huge fan of the Guide RE brakes which came stock on the bike. Sure they are powerful enough to stop you, but there is just no modulation there and it was all or nothing I felt. The Hope brakes were pricey but well worth it in my opinion.

As for pedal-ability I have pedalled this thing on ascending fire road access trails, straight up single track and also undulating XC trails. To be clear it doesn't pedal horribly, but it's not amazing either. Is it any surprise? Of course not, not when you see how well it tackles the downhill stuff. I have pedalled up some technical climbs and it was quite difficult, especially with the low BB height catching on just about every rock and log. On the fire road climbs whilst it was a bit slow going up it really wasn't so bad considering how capable it is going down, just click it into the easy gears, put the seat up and grind it out. My previous bike before this was a 2015 Kona Process 153 and I can definitely notice the difference in pedal-ability, the Kona was much better at climbing and technical climbing and you can really notice the weight difference when going up, but the Clash would absolutely own the Process on the downhills. Considering that I'm all about going down hills, I don't regret my decision and I can live with a bit of a grind going up. This bike is F$#%ing sic!!!

2020 Commencal Clash Race
2020 Commencal Clash Race
2020 Commencal Clash Race
2020 Commencal Clash Race

Posted: Jan 15, 2020 at 3:01 Quote
bgmullan wrote:
Ok so I've been meaning to post my new bike here for a while now, after previously chiming in to this thread for advice on models and frame sizes etc. I wanted to wait until I had a bit more seat time though to give a decent review and until after I had finished making a few planned modifications.

Here is my 2020 Clash Race in medium....


Hi bgmullan,
thank you very much for your review!
I'm in stuck with Clash Race 2020 and YT Capra Pro 27 2020.
The Capra has carbon frame, more rear travel (180mm) and is lighter than the Clash but like the Clash more.

How does Clash ride on DH tracks? Do you think a longer rear travel could be better?

It is quite heavy, does it feel heavy or slow on flow tracks?

Are you happy with it? Dou you think there is something of the Clash that colud be better?

I'm 179cm and I think I'll go with the L size, do you think it could be to big for me?

I will ride it mainly in bike park and for enduro rides during the winter season. What do you think of Clash vs Capra?

Excuse me for the many questions.

Thank you in advance,
Andrea

Posted: Jan 15, 2020 at 3:41 Quote
let the building begin.
2020 Commencal Clash Signature

Posted: Jan 15, 2020 at 5:23 Quote
atasca wrote:
bgmullan wrote:
Ok so I've been meaning to post my new bike here for a while now, after previously chiming in to this thread for advice on models and frame sizes etc. I wanted to wait until I had a bit more seat time though to give a decent review and until after I had finished making a few planned modifications.

Here is my 2020 Clash Race in medium....


Hi bgmullan,
thank you very much for your review!
I'm in stuck with Clash Race 2020 and YT Capra Pro 27 2020.
The Capra has carbon frame, more rear travel (180mm) and is lighter than the Clash but like the Clash more.

How does Clash ride on DH tracks? Do you think a longer rear travel could be better?

It is quite heavy, does it feel heavy or slow on flow tracks?

Are you happy with it? Dou you think there is something of the Clash that colud be better?

I'm 179cm and I think I'll go with the L size, do you think it could be to big for me?

I will ride it mainly in bike park and for enduro rides during the winter season. What do you think of Clash vs Capra?

Excuse me for the many questions.

Thank you in advance,
Andrea

I'm the same height as you, the large fits me well with a 40mm stem. It rides downhill tracks well stock, but COG was placing a bit too much weight on the front tire for me which an offset bushing sorted out nicely. With the longer front-center from the bushing the front-rear balance has been perfect and it holds high speeds through corners really well. I took it on my Whistler trip this year while I was in-between DH bikes and had a blast on it. It does wear you out more than a DH bike as it has less travel, but when you're fresh it can handle pretty much anything.

Posted: Jan 15, 2020 at 10:29 Quote
djjohnr wrote:
atasca wrote:
bgmullan wrote:
Ok so I've been meaning to post my new bike here for a while now, after previously chiming in to this thread for advice on models and frame sizes etc. I wanted to wait until I had a bit more seat time though to give a decent review and until after I had finished making a few planned modifications.

Here is my 2020 Clash Race in medium....


Hi bgmullan,
thank you very much for your review!
I'm in stuck with Clash Race 2020 and YT Capra Pro 27 2020.
The Capra has carbon frame, more rear travel (180mm) and is lighter than the Clash but like the Clash more.

How does Clash ride on DH tracks? Do you think a longer rear travel could be better?

It is quite heavy, does it feel heavy or slow on flow tracks?

Are you happy with it? Dou you think there is something of the Clash that colud be better?

I'm 179cm and I think I'll go with the L size, do you think it could be to big for me?

I will ride it mainly in bike park and for enduro rides during the winter season. What do you think of Clash vs Capra?

Excuse me for the many questions.

Thank you in advance,
Andrea

I'm the same height as you, the large fits me well with a 40mm stem. It rides downhill tracks well stock, but COG was placing a bit too much weight on the front tire for me which an offset bushing sorted out nicely. With the longer front-center from the bushing the front-rear balance has been perfect and it holds high speeds through corners really well. I took it on my Whistler trip this year while I was in-between DH bikes and had a blast on it. It does wear you out more than a DH bike as it has less travel, but when you're fresh it can handle pretty much anything.

Thank you djjohnr,
how does the Clash behave on big jumps/drops 2-3 meters high?


 
Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.012565
Mobile Version of Website