PB Forum :: Commencal
commencal clash
Posted: Jan 15, 2020 at 14:53 Quote
atasca wrote:
djjohnr wrote:
atasca wrote:

Hi bgmullan,
thank you very much for your review!
I'm in stuck with Clash Race 2020 and YT Capra Pro 27 2020.
The Capra has carbon frame, more rear travel (180mm) and is lighter than the Clash but like the Clash more.

How does Clash ride on DH tracks? Do you think a longer rear travel could be better?

It is quite heavy, does it feel heavy or slow on flow tracks?

Are you happy with it? Dou you think there is something of the Clash that colud be better?

I'm 179cm and I think I'll go with the L size, do you think it could be to big for me?

I will ride it mainly in bike park and for enduro rides during the winter season. What do you think of Clash vs Capra?

Excuse me for the many questions.

Thank you in advance,
Andrea

I'm the same height as you, the large fits me well with a 40mm stem. It rides downhill tracks well stock, but COG was placing a bit too much weight on the front tire for me which an offset bushing sorted out nicely. With the longer front-center from the bushing the front-rear balance has been perfect and it holds high speeds through corners really well. I took it on my Whistler trip this year while I was in-between DH bikes and had a blast on it. It does wear you out more than a DH bike as it has less travel, but when you're fresh it can handle pretty much anything.

Thank you djjohnr,
how does the Clash behave on big jumps/drops 2-3 meters high?

Its really good on jumps, it floats Crabapple in Whistler. Drops are great, honestly I can’t imagine owning anything else.

Posted: Jan 15, 2020 at 15:40 Quote
atasca wrote:
djjohnr wrote:
atasca wrote:

Hi bgmullan,
thank you very much for your review!
I'm in stuck with Clash Race 2020 and YT Capra Pro 27 2020.
The Capra has carbon frame, more rear travel (180mm) and is lighter than the Clash but like the Clash more.

How does Clash ride on DH tracks? Do you think a longer rear travel could be better?

It is quite heavy, does it feel heavy or slow on flow tracks?

Are you happy with it? Dou you think there is something of the Clash that colud be better?

I'm 179cm and I think I'll go with the L size, do you think it could be to big for me?

I will ride it mainly in bike park and for enduro rides during the winter season. What do you think of Clash vs Capra?

Excuse me for the many questions.

Thank you in advance,
Andrea

I'm the same height as you, the large fits me well with a 40mm stem. It rides downhill tracks well stock, but COG was placing a bit too much weight on the front tire for me which an offset bushing sorted out nicely. With the longer front-center from the bushing the front-rear balance has been perfect and it holds high speeds through corners really well. I took it on my Whistler trip this year while I was in-between DH bikes and had a blast on it. It does wear you out more than a DH bike as it has less travel, but when you're fresh it can handle pretty much anything.

Thank you djjohnr,
how does the Clash behave on big jumps/drops 2-3 meters high?

Hey Atasca, I got your DM but figured I'll just answer you here for the benefit of anyone else interested. When I was selecting a bike for me it came down to the Capra, the Canyon Torque and the Clash. Ideally my dream bike was a new Nomad but I just didn't want to spend that much money. What I mentioned in a previous post about after sales support, well that's why I didn't end up buying a Torque. Sorry Canyon guys, maybe you're not so bad, but I found plenty of negative reviews regarding your support. The Capra looked pretty awesome but from memory it was quite a bit more expensive than the Clash when opting for the higher travel model. In my mind the Clash had a great build kit on it for the price, barring those brakes.

How does the Clash handle on DH tracks? Really well I think. The Clash is quite a burly bike when you see it in the flesh and stand over it, and offers great rigidity and stability. It is essentially a slightly scaled down version of the Furious, another of Commencal's DH specific models. A coil shock could be a nice upgrade down the track if you're primarily riding DH tracks, but I've found the super deluxe air to be better than I expected anyways, so I'm in no rush to upgrade.

Is it quite heavy, does it feel heavy or slow on flow tracks? Yeah it feels a little heavy as I previously mentioned, and when it's not steep it does feel a little slow and like it takes a bit to get going. But make no mistake this thing absolutely flies on a flow trail. You could put down some serious heater laps on this thing on a trail like A-Line.

Yes I'm happy with it. The brakes could have been better though, especially seeing as the Race is kind of one of the top models. But also the price was pretty good in comparison to its competitors, so whatevs.

At 179cm I would definitely buy the large. As I said I'm 177cm and I almost wish I'd bought the large. The medium isn't too small and suits me fine though. But large would've also suited me.

I haven't swung a leg over a Capra but I'd be willing to bet that it's not as burly feeling as a Clash, so for this reason I think that the Clash would be a better performer in the bike parks. The Clash is MADE for the bike parks in my opinion and I can't wait to take this thing to Whistler. It's also very good for enduro trails, it probably doesn't pedal as well as a Capra though. I have a feeling the Clash would be a better performer going down hills than the Capra, but then I haven't rode a Capra, I'm just going off the fact that the Clash is such a burly bike which inspires confidence. Drop the weight and add the nimbleness and lesser stability I believe. I think the question you have to ask yourself is how much stock do you put in the bikes ability to pedal vs it's ability to bomb hills, jumps and gnarly stuff.

Posted: Jan 17, 2020 at 6:28 Quote
I agree this bike is built for bike parks. It's all the other stuff it does well that surprised me. I didn't build it to be light but it's super capable at climbing and normal trail use, you just have to work a little harder Haha. I love my Clash so much I just bought a Meta 29er for my new Enduro race bike.

Posted: Jan 17, 2020 at 10:01 Quote
Thank you very much to everyone for your answers.
You convinced me!
Next week I will issue the order for my new bike, a Clash of course !!!

Posted: Jan 19, 2020 at 15:30 Quote
I just received my new Clash last week. Changing the Maxxis tires out for Schwalbe, the guides out for zee and can’t wait for spring to try this thing out!

Posted: Jan 26, 2020 at 17:56 Quote
Here is my complete bike build

2020 Clash Signature Medium
Fox 36 180mm Grip2 fork
Fox Float X2 shock
Stans Flow EX3 rims
Chris King hubs
Continental Der Baron 2.4 Tires (set up tubeless)
Shimano XT 11spd Drivetrain .. shifter, rear derailleur, chain, cranks, chainring 30T, 11-46 cassette
Shimano XT 4 piston brakes
Gafler 180mm rotors
Nukeproof pedals Sam Hill Black Edition w/ gold Straitline pins
Raceface Atlas bars
Tag Metals T1 Stem 35mm x35mm
Tag Metals T1 170mm Dropper post w/ PNW Loam lever
Tag Metals T1 Saddle
Tag Metals Section Grips
Cane Creek Forty headset

weight is 35 lbs 0 ounces exactly

2020 Commencal Clash
2020 Commencal Clash
2020 Commencal Clash
2020 Commencal Clash

@COMMENCALbicycles

Posted: Jan 27, 2020 at 1:10 Quote
That's a stunning build man.

Posted: Jan 27, 2020 at 11:48 Quote
redman733 wrote:
Here is my complete bike build

2020 Clash Signature Medium
Fox 36 180mm Grip2 fork
Fox Float X2 shock
Stans Flow EX3 rims
Chris King hubs
Continental Der Baron 2.4 Tires (set up tubeless)
Shimano XT 11spd Drivetrain .. shifter, rear derailleur, chain, cranks, chainring 30T, 11-46 cassette
Shimano XT 4 piston brakes
Gafler 180mm rotors
Nukeproof pedals Sam Hill Black Edition w/ gold Straitline pins
Raceface Atlas bars
Tag Metals T1 Stem 35mm x35mm
Tag Metals T1 170mm Dropper post
Tag Metals T1 Saddle
Tag Metals Section Grips
Cane Creek Forty headset

weight is 35 lbs 0 ounces exactly

@COMMENCALbicycles

What fork off set you used ?

Posted: Feb 8, 2020 at 6:20 Quote
New build started

Posted: Feb 8, 2020 at 11:41 Quote
Might want to be careful with that piggyback shock. When it compresses it might hit your frame. Every Clash I've seen has the shock oriented the other way

Posted: Feb 8, 2020 at 14:47 Quote
querynotfound wrote:
Might want to be careful with that piggyback shock. When it compresses it might hit your frame. Every Clash I've seen has the shock oriented the other way

İt works flawlessly i checked it

Posted: Feb 8, 2020 at 15:20 Quote
Noeserd wrote:

Really? Now you're making me wonder if I could flip my shock and put a water bottle in my front triangle...

Posted: Feb 9, 2020 at 9:45 Quote
querynotfound wrote:
Noeserd wrote:

Really? Now you're making me wonder if I could flip my shock and put a water bottle in my front triangle...

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.007987
Mobile Version of Website