commencal clash

PB Forum :: Commencal
commencal clash
Posted: May 16, 2022 at 5:15 Quote
rainbow82 wrote:

Commencal says on their website that rear travel is 155 in dynamic position and 170 in sensitive.

Where is that stated? Would you share a link?
It can also be 170mm in sensitive and 165mm in dynamic. Can't be precisely sure without actually measuring the travel physically.

@bergerdude
I made my own project when I built my Clash. However Antonio model is pretty close to mine.

EDIT:

There was also some misunderstanding that the flip chip changes BB height (and thus geometry) and this is not true also. Change doesn't affect the rear triangle it stays exactly on same place when changing between rocker pivot position.

It's also officialy stated on commencal website

Does changing the position change the geometry of the bike?

The static geometry is not influenced, no. But once on the ground, when rolling, the Dynamic position keeps the rear of the bike a little higher which has the effect of slightly closing the angles more.

Posted: May 16, 2022 at 7:59 Quote
Swarz wrote:
rainbow82 wrote:

Commencal says on their website that rear travel is 155 in dynamic position and 170 in sensitive.

Where is that stated? Would you share a link?
It can also be 170mm in sensitive and 165mm in dynamic. Can't be precisely sure without actually measuring the travel physically.

@bergerdude
I made my own project when I built my Clash. However Antonio model is pretty close to mine.

EDIT:

There was also some misunderstanding that the flip chip changes BB height (and thus geometry) and this is not true also. Change doesn't affect the rear triangle it stays exactly on same place when changing between rocker pivot position.

It's also officialy stated on commencal website

Does changing the position change the geometry of the bike?

The static geometry is not influenced, no. But once on the ground, when rolling, the Dynamic position keeps the rear of the bike a little higher which has the effect of slightly closing the angles more.

In the new 2022 models, in the tech section.....I don’t know how to insert a photo

Posted: May 16, 2022 at 8:40 Quote
I see it, for the complete bikes but not the frameset! I never checked the bike description before buying the frameset :s 2022 could be different than 2021 but saves me from redoing my work. About the bb height, yes I agree if the bb height does change it is a tiny amount. My shock had topped out a fraction of a mm less in one scan vs the other.

Posted: May 16, 2022 at 13:30 Quote
I found it on commencal usa indeed but only on park model along with different material compared to other models..I would take these specs not so seriously. I really don't think that subtle change of rocker pivot can made our park machine into a 27.5 trail bike with 155mm :-)

I noticed that park version is already switched in dynamic mode on photo so I've done quick analysis and it gave me exact 165mm of travel out of 65mm stroke shock.

Posted: May 16, 2022 at 18:34 Quote
[Quote="Swarz"]I found it on commencal usa indeed but only on park model along with different material compared to other models..I would take these specs not so seriously. I really don't think that subtle change of rocker pivot can made our park machine into a 27.5 trail bike with 155mm :-)

https://www.commencalcanada.com/clash-ohlins-edition-keswick-green-2022-c2x33295743

https://www.commencalcanada.com/clash-race-dark-slate-2022-c2x33295741

The change in rocker angle is massive, nothing like some little flip chips on a shock eye. But yes im sure my laser scan was wrong and so is Commencal, by chance both in exactly the same way, and the tiny change makes a big change in feel for other reasons.

Heels down on the bike, not on the internet.

Posted: May 17, 2022 at 1:26 Quote
We both have the bikes yet we still dig in our theoretical models with help of Linkage software :-) At least you have laser scanner and I take your measurements seriously (and I'm grateful that you shared it) however I can't believe the dynamic position is so linear. It simply doesn't behave such. The 155mm question makes me in doubt and I will be provoked to actually measure it probably. It's true that based on my feeling after switching to dynamic the change was very noticeable
That would really mean that this bike is two bikes in one. Because I find 15mm difference in rear travel quite big.

Anyway my model of Clash is created on the same day as Antonio if you want to check. Antonio firstly published it on his blog and then I consulted with him some mistake I made in my project (wrong type of linkage) and published it to Linkage library.

However as for the actual bike, it's really nicely done and I'm happy with it. Very good quality good looking sturdy frame.

Posted: May 17, 2022 at 8:51 Quote
[Quote="bergerdude"]
Swarz wrote:
I found it on commencal usa indeed but only on park model along with different material compared to other models..I would take these specs not so seriously. I really don't think that subtle change of rocker pivot can made our park machine into a 27.5 trail bike with 155mm :-)

https://www.commencalcanada.com/clash-ohlins-edition-keswick-green-2022-c2x33295743

https://www.commencalcanada.com/clash-race-dark-slate-2022-c2x33295741

The change in rocker angle is massive, nothing like some little flip chips on a shock eye. But yes im sure my laser scan was wrong and so is Commencal, by chance both in exactly the same way, and the tiny change makes a big change in feel for other reasons.

Heels down on the bike, not on the internet.
Have you thought of contacting Commencal and asking them how they came up with their findings and telling them what you came up with?

Posted: May 18, 2022 at 3:00 Quote
You mean asking some kind of trained hotline help used to respond with predefined emails? No.

Posted: May 18, 2022 at 23:53 Quote
Ok so I measured the travel and I got...157mm Eek

It is really two bikes in one.

I'm thinking if someone wanted to mullet it is very suitable for that. 160mm fork front with 29 wheel. Switch rear to dynamic to have balanced travel rear & front and roll. Bike geometry of this bike will stay very good for mullet.

Posted: May 19, 2022 at 2:20 Quote
Swarz wrote:

I'm thinking if someone wanted to mullet it is very suitable for that. 160mm fork front with 29 wheel. Switch rear to dynamic to have balanced travel rear & front and roll. Bike geometry of this bike will stay very good for mullet.

Thumbs Down 29" , 27´5 . I didn't like it
Commencal Clash 2021

Posted: May 19, 2022 at 6:16 Quote
israi2fotos wrote:
Swarz wrote:

Thumbs Down 29" , 27´5 . I didn't like it
Commencal Clash 2021

For what reason?

Posted: May 22, 2022 at 4:28 Quote
jamesdorrett wrote:

I finally finished my build.

Had a 2019 clash signature ( large), broke the frame. Got a 2021 on warranty ( went to medium because bike companies are f*ckd these day )

I’m 6’1” 200lb

Took everything off it over the winter and rebuilt it as a dh bike.

27.5 / 26” mullet , spank hoops laced to hope pro 4s

Title cockpit and seat. No dropper

Profile racing 165mm bmx cranks

Reverse single speed kit

Picked up a new boxxer on here, and still running the same DHX2 that came with it

6 tokens, 190 psi, 600lb coil, and 60 psi in the tires.

An absolute bike park dream rig

Hows the bike feeling with a 26'' in the back compared to 27.5 / 27.5. Curious really as Im thinking of doing one myself. And did you offset the headset? Cuz Clash is slack af, but with a 26 in the back was it a chopper?

And yeah, bikes are ridiculously long these days, thats why I bought a new size S frameset when on size charts I should be between M and L...

Posted: May 26, 2022 at 2:23 Quote
I have a 2021 Commencal clash, set up as mullet. At the moment, the forks are still 160m from my previous bike, but I'll change it to 170mm when I get round to it.

I ride my bike in the dynamic mode for the rear shock, as most of the time I ride more enduro style stuff in the french Alpes, with lift access in the season....I found that when it is in sensitive mode, I would blow through the travel even at 25% sag; in the dynamic mode, I have some reserve at 25%

I'd be surprised if it has such a considerable reduction of travel - looking at the second set of curves posted looks more correct to me on a feel basis... the rear travel, in general just firms up a bit, allowing you to run more sag and becomes slightly more progressive to reduce bottom out. I'm no linkage expert, but visually, moving the pivot up would have this effect (i have done uni engineering papers a long time ago)

Anyway, the bike works great as a mullet.

Posted: May 26, 2022 at 3:11 Quote
Swarz wrote:

what size is the piece of wood?

Posted: May 26, 2022 at 6:34 Quote
@ChilliBin

The wood is 230-65mm = 165mm eye to eye length.
Holes are very tight 8mm and 10mm as it is hardware. The upper bolt 8mm - I had to even screw it in (it cut it's own thread during installation)

With stock shock I firstly lifted rear end of the bike about 1mm off the ground, centered with that white chair and corrected according to level gauge placed on seat, made entire bike inline with front wheel and measured rear axle bolt from the ground.

After installation of wooden plank I repeat the process.

I don't think there can be more error than 1 - 2 mm in my metodology. I now believe Commencal saying it's 155mm travel in dynamic is correct figure...or very close to.

In sensitive mode I have the same experience...easy to bottom and use all travel. In dynamic/responsive is harder to achieve all travel.

Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.011018
Mobile Version of Website