commencal clash

PB Forum :: Commencal
commencal clash
| Next Page
Posted: Jun 11, 2019 at 14:56 Quote
jerry88 wrote:
Commencal Clash Race 2019

I've had my Clash Race for 3 months now.

Uphill

All I can say is that this bike is a beauty and a beast. Well, for a 15ish kg bike, of course, it is not an Ibis Ripmo on the climbs, but it will get you there faster than you might expect from the numbers. The lockout on the RS Super Deluxe gives a very solid platform and I could tackle anything from steep tech climbs to more mellow easygoing trails following some fast uphill sprinters.

Downhill

Things get truly exciting on the way down. Bike absolutely shreds. I come from a Trek Session 9.9 2018 and a Slash 9.8 2018. Both carbon, more expensive, lighter and each intended for "one" specific task. Surprisingly, I climb faster on the clash due to a steeper seat tube angle, I can tell there's a weight penalty but my position is better and I can stay with fresher legs for longer. I feel the clash is more stable at high speeds vs the Slash. I tend to be a very clean rider, not smashing everywhere but picking my lines; nonetheless, when plowing through rough stuff I can stand put the ability to stay in contact with the ground and helping me hold my line but most important, if i want to pop it in the middle of a rock garden, i just give'r a harder pull and that’s it, i find myself in the air. That was exactly what i was looking for on a bike.

I think it's very playful, but when smashing, just hold on to the bars and it will take you to the other side no problems. Every time I ride it I feel the bike has more and more to give. I wanted an air shock version thinking it might help with the weight right now I would not change the coil for anything. It gives the DH feel and keeps the sensitivity top notch. The fork performs amazing, it has been super easy to set it up, and I haven’t found myself wishing I had more clicks or lost between them. The only upgrade here will be to add a volume spacer. I am riding just as it came out of the factory rn.

In terms of the other components everything is what you pay for, I would say. Great value for $$. I really liked this model because of the Spank hoops. I’ve managed to destroy many rims in my career: DT, Bontrager, Stan’s, Easton, etc. Never a Spank. For me it was a deal breaker.
I’m also surprised with the brakes. This RE Guides have plenty of power and I don’t feel they fade easily with hard sustained descents. Somewhere I read that this RE’s are Electric bike specific and that they share more parts with CODE’s rather with regular Guides. Don’t know if this is true, but compared to the 4-5 past pairs of guides I’ve owned, this ones feel on point. Nevertheless, I just feel more comfortable with TRP’s so they will be an upgrade soon. Preference instead of necessity.

In terms of upgrades, I’m changing tires which have been the only weakness in this bike so far. Shcwalbes are too soft and in rocky sections I punctured 3 times in DH run because of the softer compound. I’ve seen notable wearing and I managed to get the tire out of the rim (with tubeless) in a very “not schralping” move too. Changing them por WTB’s Vigilante front/Judge back. Adding some huck Norris too just for the sake of extra rim protection. Tires feel super firm so I don’t think I will find myself with ripped tires.
Going for a full renthal cockpit. I find the bars to have a better geometry for me. Oh, and here I think it has another down point. It just comes with 31.8mm stems so to replace for 35mm bars, well, do the math… Installing a chainguide w/bashguard. No dropped chains so far but I want to protect the chainring since Im doing tons of DH and landing in the middle of a rock garden might be a good combo for breaking some teeth. Also gonna try the Nukeproof Horizon CL clipless pedals.

About any issues with the bike: couple of bolts from the linkage needed some tightening and used a little locktite o keep them secure. I barely use the two last cogs in the trails I normally ride so the rubbing part hasn’t been a problem but I’ll keep an eye. Also, no linkage bolts have affected any other parts. I just don’t want the tightening thing be a point to check out every single ride, but only time will tell. Changing gears is still sharp as new and the seat post performs with 0 issues.

I worked in a bike magazine locally, had the opportunity to test many, many bikes. Giant Reigns, Trek Slash, Pivots, Specializeds, Konas, Norcos, Rocky Mountains, Scotts, DeVincis you name it. This bike out performs every single one. Perfect mix for me and exactly what I was looking for.

Thanks for such a nice revie, which made me wanting to buy one immediately. Unfortunately this model (Clash Race) is not available at Commencal EU anymore, anyone knows if it will show up later?

Posted: Jun 12, 2019 at 14:54 Quote
well4eva wrote:
jerry88 wrote:
Commencal Clash Race 2019

I've had my Clash Race for 3 months now.

Uphill

All I can say is that this bike is a beauty and a beast. Well, for a 15ish kg bike, of course, it is not an Ibis Ripmo on the climbs, but it will get you there faster than you might expect from the numbers. The lockout on the RS Super Deluxe gives a very solid platform and I could tackle anything from steep tech climbs to more mellow easygoing trails following some fast uphill sprinters.

Downhill

Things get truly exciting on the way down. Bike absolutely shreds. I come from a Trek Session 9.9 2018 and a Slash 9.8 2018. Both carbon, more expensive, lighter and each intended for "one" specific task. Surprisingly, I climb faster on the clash due to a steeper seat tube angle, I can tell there's a weight penalty but my position is better and I can stay with fresher legs for longer. I feel the clash is more stable at high speeds vs the Slash. I tend to be a very clean rider, not smashing everywhere but picking my lines; nonetheless, when plowing through rough stuff I can stand put the ability to stay in contact with the ground and helping me hold my line but most important, if i want to pop it in the middle of a rock garden, i just give'r a harder pull and that’s it, i find myself in the air. That was exactly what i was looking for on a bike.

I think it's very playful, but when smashing, just hold on to the bars and it will take you to the other side no problems. Every time I ride it I feel the bike has more and more to give. I wanted an air shock version thinking it might help with the weight right now I would not change the coil for anything. It gives the DH feel and keeps the sensitivity top notch. The fork performs amazing, it has been super easy to set it up, and I haven’t found myself wishing I had more clicks or lost between them. The only upgrade here will be to add a volume spacer. I am riding just as it came out of the factory rn.

In terms of the other components everything is what you pay for, I would say. Great value for $$. I really liked this model because of the Spank hoops. I’ve managed to destroy many rims in my career: DT, Bontrager, Stan’s, Easton, etc. Never a Spank. For me it was a deal breaker.
I’m also surprised with the brakes. This RE Guides have plenty of power and I don’t feel they fade easily with hard sustained descents. Somewhere I read that this RE’s are Electric bike specific and that they share more parts with CODE’s rather with regular Guides. Don’t know if this is true, but compared to the 4-5 past pairs of guides I’ve owned, this ones feel on point. Nevertheless, I just feel more comfortable with TRP’s so they will be an upgrade soon. Preference instead of necessity.

In terms of upgrades, I’m changing tires which have been the only weakness in this bike so far. Shcwalbes are too soft and in rocky sections I punctured 3 times in DH run because of the softer compound. I’ve seen notable wearing and I managed to get the tire out of the rim (with tubeless) in a very “not schralping” move too. Changing them por WTB’s Vigilante front/Judge back. Adding some huck Norris too just for the sake of extra rim protection. Tires feel super firm so I don’t think I will find myself with ripped tires.
Going for a full renthal cockpit. I find the bars to have a better geometry for me. Oh, and here I think it has another down point. It just comes with 31.8mm stems so to replace for 35mm bars, well, do the math… Installing a chainguide w/bashguard. No dropped chains so far but I want to protect the chainring since Im doing tons of DH and landing in the middle of a rock garden might be a good combo for breaking some teeth. Also gonna try the Nukeproof Horizon CL clipless pedals.

About any issues with the bike: couple of bolts from the linkage needed some tightening and used a little locktite o keep them secure. I barely use the two last cogs in the trails I normally ride so the rubbing part hasn’t been a problem but I’ll keep an eye. Also, no linkage bolts have affected any other parts. I just don’t want the tightening thing be a point to check out every single ride, but only time will tell. Changing gears is still sharp as new and the seat post performs with 0 issues.

I worked in a bike magazine locally, had the opportunity to test many, many bikes. Giant Reigns, Trek Slash, Pivots, Specializeds, Konas, Norcos, Rocky Mountains, Scotts, DeVincis you name it. This bike out performs every single one. Perfect mix for me and exactly what I was looking for.

Thanks for such a nice revie, which made me wanting to buy one immediately. Unfortunately this model (Clash Race) is not available at Commencal EU anymore, anyone knows if it will show up later?

Stellar review thank you!

Posted: Jun 17, 2019 at 15:09 Quote
Has anyone had problems with water leaking into the frame ?? It's been a slight problem in the past with Commencal

Posted: Jun 19, 2019 at 3:51 Quote
Frame sizes - I'm 177cm and 82cm inseam and looking at buying a medium, interested to hear what frame sizes others have gone with who are around my height? Anyone my height riding a large and liking it? Coming off a 2015 medium Process 153, cheers.

Posted: Jun 19, 2019 at 8:02 Quote
bgmullan wrote:
Frame sizes - I'm 177cm and 82cm inseam and looking at buying a medium, interested to hear what frame sizes others have gone with who are around my height? Anyone my height riding a large and liking it? Coming off a 2015 medium Process 153, cheers.

I'm 180cm and ride a large. It is a great fit. Medium would be too small for me I'm sure.

Posted: Jun 19, 2019 at 8:25 Quote
bgmullan wrote:

I'm 179cm, short legs, long torso on a Large. Fits me well but I'm definitely near the sizing edge, mostly due to the stack height; I'm running a 40mm stem, slamset and 12.5mm rise bar with a single 5mm spacer.

Posted: Jun 19, 2019 at 12:49 Quote
bgmullan wrote:

I’m exactly the same height as you at 177cm and I’ve been on the medium clash for about a month now. No regrets for me on the medium frame. Fits larger than my 2015 medium attack trail did .

Posted: Jun 19, 2019 at 16:36 Quote
I’m 6 foot on a large. Almost feels a little small surprisingly, but its alright.

Posted: Jun 20, 2019 at 1:27 Quote
Thanks everyone, after checking all of the dimensions of the medium Clash are ever so slightly longer than the medium Process which I currently own, so I think the medium should be perfect. I just got a bit thrown off after speaking to a Commencal staff member and telling him my measurements and being recommended a large. Different preferences I guess. I can't wait to see the 2020 Clash Race and order that sucker, was told it should be available for pre order within the next week!

| Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.024610
Mobile Version of Website