Dropper post not returning fully to top position

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Dropper post not returning fully to top position
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Sep 5, 2018 at 19:15 Quote
Just picked up a 2018 Kona Big Honzo. Having issue with the dropper post not returning to top position after being dropped. It seems to get stuck at about 75% and then I have to give it a bit of a bump to return the rest of the way. Is this an adjustment issue or is there something wrong with it? For reference, Kona lists it to be a Trans-X dropper post. TIA

Posted: Sep 5, 2018 at 20:19 Quote
Hi,

Check for seat clamp tightness. shift the clamp directly opposite of the seattube slit.
http://forums.mtbr.com/attachments/downhill-freeride/85125-help-saber-owners-qr-seatpost-clamp-bottoming-rocker-plate-hope5.jpg
Or
Check the cable tension. It should have some slack.

Posted: Sep 5, 2018 at 21:59 Quote
Check the air pressure in it. Most of the Trans-x droppers these days have a air valve at the top underneath the seat clamp mechanism. No idea of what pressure you need though, my Trans-x YSP07 170mm is specced at 230 psi if I remember correctly

Posted: Sep 6, 2018 at 10:55 Quote
edvin-m wrote:
Check the air pressure in it. Most of the Trans-x droppers these days have a air valve at the top underneath the seat clamp mechanism. No idea of what pressure you need though, my Trans-x YSP07 170mm is specced at 230 psi if I remember correctly

Had the bike in the stand this morning. Checked cable tension, seat collar tension as well as air pressure. Air pressure was for sure the issue. Only had about 100lbs in it. Cranked it right up to 240ish and it springs right back to the top now. Thanks for all the help.

Posted: Sep 21, 2018 at 13:06 Quote
I was having the same issue on a new set up with the seat not returning to full position. Loosening the clamp which was too tight was the fix for me!

O+
Posted: Dec 7, 2018 at 4:37 Quote
Hey all,
Just reporting it was a pressure issue for me also. Pressure had gotten all the way to 100psi. Thanks for the pointers.

O+
Posted: Apr 14, 2019 at 9:12 Quote
Quick insight, my tranzx dropper was not returning up as well so I opened it up to see what could be the issue. Here is what I found and what quick fix I used.

Unscrewing the the junction between the post and the sliding part by hand showed that there is a white plastic spacer at the top. Once it was unscrewed completely, if you drop your seat down and gently lift it up again, the white plastic spacer will come out. Once it was completely out, the dropper started working just fine. Once I would put it back in, then it would not go up again, I figured the diameter was just a bit to big so I sanded a bit of the white plastic spacer. Assemble it back together, and the dropper is now working perfectly. Might want to give it a check before anything. It is a super easy fix.

O+
Posted: Feb 9, 2020 at 19:19 Quote
adamandersen wrote:
Quick insight, my tranzx dropper was not returning up as well so I opened it up to see what could be the issue. Here is what I found and what quick fix I used.

Unscrewing the the junction between the post and the sliding part by hand showed that there is a white plastic spacer at the top. Once it was unscrewed completely, if you drop your seat down and gently lift it up again, the white plastic spacer will come out. Once it was completely out, the dropper started working just fine. Once I would put it back in, then it would not go up again, I figured the diameter was just a bit to big so I sanded a bit of the white plastic spacer. Assemble it back together, and the dropper is now working perfectly. Might want to give it a check before anything. It is a super easy fix.

Adam you're a genius - was just about to bundle the post up and send it back to Wiggle where I bought it for a warranty claim, and saw your post; problem solved. If you're ever in Australia drop me a line and I'll buy you a beer!

Posted: Jun 17, 2022 at 4:45 Quote
adamandersen wrote:

Sliding in here to say thanks for your contribution to this thread! I've been chasing this intermittent issue for months and your suggestion was the ticket! I imagine it's also somewhat temperature-dependent as the collar swells. Anyways, I took some 150 grit around the entire collar and it's good as new! Great investigative work

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.014410
Mobile Version of Website