Public Pumptrack Build - Menteri Besar Park (First Attempt)

PB Forum :: Trail Building
Public Pumptrack Build - Menteri Besar Park (First Attempt)
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Sep 6, 2018 at 8:03 Quote
Here's a public pump track built by a bunch of guys who got together with a shared objective. First attempt at a pumptrack build. I did the track layout design but wasn't involved much in physically constructing, but will do more soon to help the guys correct flow or problematic spots.

The land negotiated with the public park authorities for use:
photo

One of the guys initial sketch:
photo

I reworked his sketch based on his initial concept:
photo

Then I 3D-modelled that with standardised scaling:
photo

Finalised after many design iterations to have as much lines ridable as possible with loop-ability:
photo

photo

photo

Earthworks commenced using whatever we could attain through construction company donations (not so quality soil, one mini-excavator):
photo

photo

photo

photo

photo

photo

photo

photo

Drone video footage of us testing for bad flow spots with the kids:
Views: 82    Faves: 0    Comments: 0

Posted: Sep 7, 2018 at 2:38 Quote
The start looks great! good that you are testing while going on.

just two small things.

1. there seems to be a lack of drainage/ thoughts about drainage. butting that in afterwards is a lot more work but i understand that proper drainage costs money you dont have at the moment,just keep it in mind.

2. if you have access to water on site try to get the dirt a bit wetter. Just follow that link it will get you some info on the optimal water content for compaction.
https://www.spec-net.com.au/press/0108/ele_090108.htm

Posted: Sep 9, 2018 at 22:32 Quote
Luneec wrote:
1. there seems to be a lack of drainage/ thoughts about drainage. butting that in afterwards is a lot more work but i understand that proper drainage costs money you dont have at the moment,just keep it in mind.

terms of agreement was NO DIGGING-IN of the existing ground from the park authorities. so subsurfave drainage was a no-go, we had to opt for a surface level drainage to be implemented afterwards. so what we do is let the rainwater pool up and indentify where the pools flow down, and we'd insert iron pipes to flush it out to a lower basin in the vicinity of the park. but yea, harder to build things in after the fact.

Luneec wrote:
2. if you have access to water on site try to get the dirt a bit wetter. Just follow that link it will get you some info on the optimal water content for compaction.
https://www.spec-net.com.au/press/0108/ele_090108.htm

there is one public water pipe near enough for this. but yeah, I kept telling the guys that the tracks was looking waaaay too parched. thanks for the OMC function curve reference. if I were to make some layman's interpretation, that'd be: if the sprayed water is running down and washing away the surface soil, then it's too much water. that about right?

Posted: Sep 10, 2018 at 12:57 Quote
@1 ok totaly understood i hate such stupid regulations. We all have to battle them.

@ depends very much upon the soil type but once it stops absorbing water you know you have gone way to far as too much water prevents almost all compactions. at that point most of the work you put into the soil goes into driving out water from the pores. you want just enough water to"lube" the particals to help them glide into place not as much as in adding a new resistance. best thing is trial and error. after some time you will get a feel for your soil after that its smooth sailing, trying to adhear to numbers in the field is impractical.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.009181
Mobile Version of Website