Heading to Uganda to teach locals how to build trails - need some help!

PB Forum :: Trail Building
Heading to Uganda to teach locals how to build trails - need some help!
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Sep 6, 2018 at 9:48 Quote
Hey everyone,

I lurk often but figured the PB community might have some ideas for how to get some funds together.

I'm heading to Uganda in a few weeks to teach locals on how to build sustainable trails. The region is getting noticed for biking and the potential looks limitless. A local operator who is Ugandan hopes to employ the locals in both guiding and trial building, so I'm heading over there with the hopes they can be in charge.

I'm doing this because I see the red tape that happens in the western world. It's annoying. I'd much rather teach some locals how to do it because they are going to do it regardless, so it's important they do it in a way that the trails will last.

I've started a crowdfunding page and could use some help. https://www.gofundme.com/building-a-trail-network-in-uganda

I'm asking for 5k but in reality the travel expenses are less than that, the hopes is that I can show up with some cash to give them for a building fund already. Additional funds will come from the tours, each person on a tour will pay a trail fee.

This is a cool opportunity to start with a blank slate. I'm hoping this will be a lasting legacy where some people from the west empower a poor community by giving them the tools necessary to see a tourism economy around mountain biking thrive. Thanks!

Posted: Sep 13, 2018 at 15:01 Quote
Someone's gotta want to help! I've raised a bit of cash but still hoping to get a bit more love from the community! Thanks everyone!

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.007961
Mobile Version of Website