2019 yeti sb130 / sb150

PB Forum :: Yeti
2019 yeti sb130 / sb150
| Next Page
Posted: Oct 21, 2018 at 20:49 Quote
Had my 150 for a week. Awesome bike

Posted: Nov 20, 2018 at 19:00 Quote
ordered my sb130 on 10/15 and am supposed to get it on 11/26. It's been an agonizing wait especially since I sold my 5010 in early oct.

Posted: Jan 22, 2019 at 7:55 Quote
How is everyone liking their SB130 / SB 150? I feel like the new geo definitely takes some getting used to.

Posted: Jan 27, 2019 at 18:33 Quote
Pedantic wrote:
How is everyone liking their SB130 / SB 150? I feel like the new geo definitely takes some getting used to.

I've had my SB150 GX-build since about October of last year. Prior to that, I was riding both an SB6 and a Jeffsy 29. The 150 is significantly longer than both, but definitely not in a clumsy, overwhelming way (unless you're a beginner). Yes, it'll take a couple rides to get used to it. First and foremost - get and stay forward. Where as other bikes had much shorter reach so you could hang back a bit, the 150 needs you to stay forward. The bike actually becomes playful then, especially with the shorter chainstays. If your riding stance is further back, moving the bike around will take more effort. Manuals are easier than it was on the SB6 since the chainstays are shorter. Stability at high speeds through everything has improved immensely even with shorter chainstays, because you're centered/forward on a longer wheelbase.

Regarding the 150's climbing prowess: I thought I was going to keep my Jeffsy 29 as a trail bike for more climb/XC days. Not so; I'll be selling it come spring. Combining the 78 deg seat angle and longer reach, I'm in much more of a power position especially when the inclines get steep. Now I will say the turning radius is a bit wider, so some strong body english/lean/ratcheting has come in handy when negotiating those kinds of switchbacks.

Regarding sizing: I'm 5'-8", shorter 30" legs, longer torso and I ride a size medium 150. Here's something I found interesting: the geometry (not the kinematics) of the Specialized Demo 8 size XL are very, very close to the medium 150. Reach is same, stack is same, head angle is 1 deg different and chainstay length is 3mm different. Yes, 27.5 and 29 in wheels aren't the same, but you can definitely see where the lines between downhill and enduro have blurred.

I guess I sum it up by saying it's not a beginner or early intermediate rider's bike. Yes, at that skill level you can ride it, but it'd be akin to jumping on a long, wide, stiff backcountry ski as a novice skier - the ski would ride you instead of you riding the ski (maybe not quite that dramatic, but hopefully you get the point). For those that feel the 150 might be a bit unwieldy for their level, the SB100 or SB130 may offer you more 'all-around' ability as you ramp up you technique.

Hope this helps some who are considering the 150!

Posted: Jan 28, 2019 at 11:46 Quote
ascdesigns wrote:
Pedantic wrote:

I've had my SB150 GX-build since about October of last year. Prior to that, I was riding both an SB6 and a Jeffsy 29......
I guess I sum it up by saying it's not a beginner or early intermediate rider's bike. Yes, at that skill level you can ride it, but it'd be like jumping on a long, wide, stiff backcountry ski as a novice skier - the ski would ride you instead of you riding the ski (maybe not quite that dramatic, but hopefully you get the point).

Hope this helps some who are considering the 150!
I think your ski analogy is an apropos characterization. Getting on the 150 reminded of me of making the switch to G3 Tonics and NTN bindings from Atomic TM22s and Targa bindings. There is a requirement of some technical proficiency. It's easier for the bike to get away from you even though it is more capable. Which is to say it rewards a certain riding style.

Posted: Mar 1, 2019 at 0:00 Quote
...Still torn between bikes, Ive loved my sb6c for the last 3 years, built up a new one each season and generally love the bike. Im 6' with 32" inseam and have ridden a medium 6 with a 50mm stem as we have tight/techy mountain descents around here mostly and have always felt more comfortable on a slightly smaller bike. The Size large, just felt cumbersome and awkward until I was up to speed and on a trail that was speed oriented then it was best. But the medium was better suited for me when it came to tight and techy corenering. The geo has changed with these bikes and I havent had a chance to throw a leg over one yet. Should I try the large with a shorter stem even though the Med sb150's reach is quite a bit larger than the medium 6 reach? But geometry has changed between the two bikes.

Here's one of my favorite trails in the backyard- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VovsJy9yxxY - to give you an idea what im riding and why I choose the medium over the large. Im not racing anymore and dont really care to but I like to generally smash into things and go fast like we all do...

I pedal alot, mostly 2-5K climbs with long descents. The 6 has been fine for me in regards to climbing and I have cleaned alot of steep techy climbs in the mountains around here with a 11/6 the last 2 years and 34t oval and 11-46 cassette. Ive also really liked the 30mm ID rims with Aggressor 2.5WT tire, just love the grip for my conditions around here, pair that with the DD and I have been able to run lower tire pressures with better grip and not have a flat in 2 years of smashing through everything that Sedona, Moab, GJ, Telluride and beyond has been able to throw at me. IS this a possibility with this bike? It seems like the first run had issues and perhaps were now onto the 2nd run that is shipping out now with the issues above being taken care of to a degree? I was really excited to try the new SB150 before hearing all these issues. Im usually a bit skeptical of a first year frame as well due to the bikes usually needing to have a few bugs worked out on the first year. Are most people having the above issues or does it seem like only a few? Im still torn between getting another sb6c or the sb150, I dont want to have issues with a first generation frame that arent taken care of by the company properly. All of your help/info is greatly appreciated!!

| Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.016382
Mobile Version of Website