Can I put a smaller shock on my frame

PB Forum :: Downhill
Can I put a smaller shock on my frame
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Sep 15, 2018 at 9:49 Quote
Hi, my frame is yt tues with 267mm rear shock and I want to replace it with 240mm air shock.
Are there going to be any problems or something like that.
Thanks!

Posted: Sep 15, 2018 at 11:28 Quote
Just because you can doesn't mean you should.

Posted: Sep 15, 2018 at 15:07 Quote
It all depends on the clearance of your frame. Going to a smaller shock, you will have to make sure the stroke is shorter in proportion to how much shorter the shock is. Something like that. Otherwise, you can have some gnarly metal on metal action around bottom out. I just recently updated a friends old Big Hit by throwing a shorter shock on it. It has less travel than it did, but it also lowered the bottom bracket and slacked the fork to somewhere around current standards. Worked well for that bike, but does not mean it will work well for any bike. Bikes act different as they cycle through the linkage, and in most instances, installing a shorter or longer shock (even though it fits) will have a pretty noticeable difference in the suspension feel. Bottom bracket and head angle will change. I'm all for experimentation though. Measure a few times, make sure you will have the clearance at bottom out, then give it a go.

Posted: Sep 16, 2018 at 8:58 Quote
267 to 241 is a 2.6 cm difference. I'd say it is definitely too much of a difference. I think the next shorter shock you can have is a metric 250, but it would still be significantly shorter.

Posted: Feb 4, 2024 at 1:06 Quote
What about 240 travel to 230 travel? Is this possible?

O+ FL
Posted: Feb 6, 2024 at 10:18 Quote
montesque wrote:
What about 240 travel to 230 travel? Is this possible?

240 to 230 would be the eye to eye shock dimension, not the travel or stroke. Stroke length matters for the two you are considering.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.008648
Mobile Version of Website