2019 Giant Reign

PB Forum :: Giant
2019 Giant Reign
Posted: Dec 17, 2018 at 11:20 Quote
Aquariuz wrote:
machchicken wrote:
New ride ready and pointed downhill as it needs to be! The topaz 2 was great on the climb! It beats the fox dpx2 that was on last year's reign.
Nice bike you have, machchicken!
Could you give more info abt topaz 2, please? Any comparison with original topaz?

Sure, Here are some ride impressions. I dont have any comparison to topaz1 but have ridden many different shocks so I can report on how this one feels.

First on the climbs: The DVO Topaz 2 has an amazing climbing platform. Many shocks have great lockouts but this is often how they feel..... spiky, dead, wooden, harsh would be words that I use. While they do limit wasted movement they dont offer a dynamic feeling while doing it.
The DVO Topaz 2 has a very different feeling. The top tiny bit of the travel, when in climbing mode, remains very active (I have not measured how much of the travel is like this but it is just the top little bit.) It then goes smoothly into a far more supportive part of the stroke without a harsh transition. This means that there is almost no feedback from square bumps into the seat/bike while under power. Firstly, this means that there is scads of traction because the rear is never bumped out of traction by the shock reacting harshly to impacts. Sure everyone claims to have a good pedal mode but this one is different. I have repeatedly sought out square hits while under power to see if i can unsettle it and I cant. Every time I find a square hit that lines up with a pedal stroke that I feel will unsettle it and bounce me, the shock just says nope and smoothly deals with it. Well then... it must have more bob then.... nope.... because it is just the top tiny bit of travel it sits high and strong.
2nd.... this is really valuable to me: because it is active and supportive I get way less feedback into my saddle. This actually saves me energy and Butt hurt. It makes going uphill easier and less painful with more traction and happiness.
I climb because I must so that I can go downhill.... this shock reduces my agony, imagine what it could do for someone that likes climbing......... maniacs.

Downhill: All i can say is I never ever ever have to think about what the rear of the bike is doing. That to me marks a good descending shock. It feels smoother into the ramp up at end of stroke than every other shock I have used. it never spikes, it is far more predictable off lips, it plows rock gardens, it eats big landings, it rails with confidence, it does not step out or get squirly, and I have yet to blow the ring off the bottom at the same time as it feeling super plush.
My 2018 reign with fox while it did rip, sometimes would get me wondering if I was going to die hitting a lip at speed. On my second ride on the DVO reign I ticked off a dozen moves that I ride around even on my DH rig. I attribute this to comfort and feeling like the bike will just deal with it. I have way less brain involved which means I go faster than the 2018 reign. Am I saying I am charging faster than on my DH through some blind send into rocks.... nope.... but I feel so comfortable that I can definitely say the suspension is not a consideration /limiting factor.

So... I love my DVO sus. I want to do a dvo kit on my next DH rig. If my 170mm diamond feels better than my 180mm fox float then I cant wait to get my bike on DVO Emerald.....magic carpet time!

Posted: Dec 18, 2018 at 0:08 Quote
machchicken wrote:

So... I love my DVO sus. I want to do a dvo kit on my next DH rig. If my 170mm diamond feels better than my 180mm fox float then I cant wait to get my bike on DVO Emerald.....magic carpet time!

Thanks for reply, great info!
I wonder, if Topaz2 worth extra money ($100 actually vs Topaz1) as it tuned for Maestro sus?

Posted: Dec 18, 2018 at 9:20 Quote
Aquariuz wrote:
machchicken wrote:

Thanks for reply, great info!
I wonder, if Topaz2 worth extra money ($100 actually vs Topaz1) as it tuned for Maestro sus?

I think "FinalGear" discussed the difference/similarities on the DVO Hotness thread

Posted: Jan 14, 2019 at 14:05 Quote
put the deposit down yesterday for a 2019 sx1, I was decided to purchase the new remedy 8, but when I rode the giant it was instant love!

picking up the bike tmr, cant wait to hit the shore

gonna share some picks when I get the bike

Posted: Feb 11, 2019 at 11:49 Quote
Does anyone have the metallic blue shiny frameset already? Any real world pics?

Posted: Feb 13, 2019 at 8:23 Quote
gabrielbps wrote:
put the deposit down yesterday for a 2019 sx1, I was decided to purchase the new remedy 8, but when I rode the giant it was instant love!

picking up the bike tmr, cant wait to hit the shore

gonna share some picks when I get the bike

Smart man! Stoked!

Posted: Feb 13, 2019 at 12:30 Quote
So after a few months of ownership what are the general feelings? Particularly climbing.
Looking at getting the advanced 1 soon.
Cheers

Posted: Mar 6, 2019 at 16:54 Quote
JohSch wrote:
Does anyone have the metallic blue shiny frameset already? Any real world pics?
New frame
New frame

New frame
New frame

New frame
New frame

New frame
New frame

Posted: Mar 6, 2019 at 16:56 Quote
tig9619 wrote:
So after a few months of ownership what are the general feelings? Particularly climbing.
Cheers

Awesome bike, very happy. Especially with the new frame for some crazing in the clear coat. Need to paint the forks black now though. Amazing downhill and better than expected uphill.

Posted: Mar 10, 2019 at 22:43 Quote
machchicken wrote:
2019 Giant Reign Advanced 1

Here it is! The new reign with DVO suspension! Cant wait to get on it and go full tilt! Super sexy metallic flake in the paint too! Thanks to Giant Canada and Gerick Cycle and Ski Nelson for making it happen!

Hey man. How does the stock adv 1 climb? I know it rips DH but I don't ride shuttles and climb a fair bit. Keen as on this bike though.

Posted: Mar 11, 2019 at 12:20 Quote
Packer31 wrote:
machchicken wrote:

Here it is! The new reign with DVO suspension! Cant wait to get on it and go full tilt! Super sexy metallic flake in the paint too! Thanks to Giant Canada and Gerick Cycle and Ski Nelson for making it happen!

Hey man. How does the stock adv 1 climb? I know it rips DH but I don't ride shuttles and climb a fair bit. Keen as on this bike though.

Same. I'm really hyped on the 1.5 GE with the orange scheme.

Posted: Mar 15, 2019 at 10:44 Quote
tig9619 wrote:
Cheers

Recomendation..... dont get the advanced 1! get the top model or the SX. Giant got DVO to make a non adjustable diamond for the advanced 1. I had to spend 800$ just to get it to full diamond DVO adsustability. the top model and the SX have full adjustability.

The bike itself and suspension (with my upgrade) are really awesome. this bike begs to be smashed as rad as you dare. Pedaling on the DVO topaz 2 is amazing! way better than last years fox.

Posted: Mar 15, 2019 at 10:45 Quote
Packer31 wrote:
machchicken wrote:

The bike with the Topaz 2 climbs miles better than last years fox. I dont think about it and do long climbs.

Posted: Mar 15, 2019 at 23:51 Quote
How are the Code R brakes? Cheers!

Posted: Mar 18, 2019 at 5:33 Quote
ThomasG wrote:
How are the Code R brakes? Cheers!
The code brakes are solid. Not my personal preference as i'm a shimano person; but they have been reliable and don't seize up as bad as the guides.

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.015817
Mobile Version of Website