Need DH Fork Advice

PB Forum :: Downhill
Need DH Fork Advice
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Sep 25, 2018 at 9:03 Quote
Hi -

I'm not looking for the fork "hype" train for Fox or Rockshox. I want to know peoples opinions on Fox, Rockshox, DVO forks, 2016 Marzocchi 380 CRs, etc. I'm looking for a stiff fork that would have the most "moto bike feel". Thanks,

Posted: Sep 27, 2018 at 16:22 Quote
Stiff....Fox 40
Most Moto...Emerald
Yes I’ve owned a few of both.

Posted: Sep 29, 2018 at 23:22 Quote
Don't buy a 380, buy the newer version that is basically just a Fox 40 with a different damper under the marzocchi name...

I really like my Fox 40, I think you can't go wrong with any of them really so long as you take the time to properly set them up. I run Air front and back, and the tunability is amazing, you're going to be able to tune the progression of the fork more than you could with a coil. However, like I said. I don't think you can go wrong with any of the high end DH forks these days...
I would just advice against the Durado if you live in the USA, good luck getting one of those serviced... However, there are Fox and Rockshox parts and mechanics in every state in the USA I'm pretty sure. You can find parts or service for Fox or rockshox any day with a quick drive to the bike shop.

Posted: Sep 29, 2018 at 23:31 Quote
I went on about Air because you mentioned stiffness..
Now if you mean lateral stiffness of the sanctions, the Fox 40 will be the stiffest ( they also do have a firmer feel to them in general, still plush just in a different way you don't notice because so much vibration is absorbed).

So anyway, with a coil, if you make yours really stiff, you're arms will hate you on the trails, you will get more arm pump from small bumps, and won't use much travel unless you're hauling ass and sending it. Too soft the opposite is true... However with a spring right in the middle you can usually find a happy medium that will feel solid, and very predictable.

Now with air, you can adjust the progression of the air chamber volume with volume spacers. To simplify you can easily make the first half of the travel soft, and the end stroke ramp up to be very firm for big hits. I know Fox 40's are amazing for this because I own one. I have only owned rockshox coil products, so I can't comment on their air spring tunability or quality, but I'm sure it's top notch. My coil Rockshox products ( few domains and boxxers ) functioned just fine, and they worked. However my Fox 40 factory float is simply just better in every way, and I feel more confident with it. Having said that, I haven't used the new damper rockshox came out with, but in my mind I doubt it would feel as good as my 40. Although I know I could ride a Boxxer and be happy with it, they will take more abuse then I will ever dish out.

That might just be hype train talk, but it's my experience. I have a few friends that ride boxxers, and they prefer them over 40's, and some of my friends are really big dudes so how much someones weighs isn't a good judge of which would be better.

You will just have to experience them for yourself, but regardless of the brand if it isn't setup right it will just feel like shit.

Posted: Oct 1, 2018 at 10:20 Quote
PinnedFreeRide wrote:
Now if you mean lateral stiffness of the sanctions, the Fox 40 will be the stiffest ( they also do have a firmer feel to them in general, still plush just in a different way you don't notice because so much vibration is absorbed).

So anyway, with a coil, if you make yours really stiff, you're arms will hate you on the trails, you will get more arm pump from small bumps, and won't use much travel unless you're hauling ass and sending it. Too soft the opposite is true... However with a spring right in the middle you can usually find a happy medium that will feel solid, and very predictable.

Now with air, you can adjust the progression of the air chamber volume with volume spacers. To simplify you can easily make the first half of the travel soft, and the end stroke ramp up to be very firm for big hits. I know Fox 40's are amazing for this because I own one. I have only owned rockshox coil products, so I can't comment on their air spring tunability or quality, but I'm sure it's top notch. My coil Rockshox products ( few domains and boxxers ) functioned just fine, and they worked. However my Fox 40 factory float is simply just better in every way, and I feel more confident with it. Having said that, I haven't used the new damper rockshox came out with, but in my mind I doubt it would feel as good as my 40. Although I know I could ride a Boxxer and be happy with it, they will take more abuse then I will ever dish out.

That might just be hype train talk, but it's my experience. I have a few friends that ride boxxers, and they prefer them over 40's, and some of my friends are really big dudes so how much someones weighs isn't a good judge of which would be better.

You will just have to experience them for yourself, but regardless of the brand if it isn't setup right it will just feel like shit.

Cool to hear this. I have been on Boxxers since I started riding DH. I’ve had 3, 2 coil and one air. I hated the air version. It didn’t feel as supple, or smooth.
That being said, I am thinking about switching to the 2019 fox 40. From your experience, how does the 40 feel compared to the coil boxxer in terms of suppleness and beginning stroke. I know the end stroke is highly adjustable with tokens and pressure. I’m just nervous I’m going to go back to air and completely regret it.
Help a brotha out

Posted: Mar 6, 2019 at 13:02 Quote
Lateral stiffness is the answer I was looking for! Ended up getting a 2018 Commencal Supreme DH w/ Fox 40 & Float X2.. Thanks!
PinnedFreeRide wrote:

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.015208
Mobile Version of Website