Information on 2005 Giant Reign 3. i might buy it

PB Forum :: Freeride & Slopestyle
Information on 2005 Giant Reign 3. i might buy it
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Sep 25, 2018 at 10:16 Quote
good afternoon, after a good long time I'm looking to get myself a decent mountain bike. Only been back to work a few months funds are somewhat limited but I came across this bike. Not looking to spend much more then this. Here is the listing from the add:

Up for grab, 2005 Giant Reign 3 in great condition with tons of upgrades. Size LARGE or 20", perfect fit for 5'11" to 6'4" riders.

Please, see link from Giant Bike website for detailed geometry.

http://archive.giant-bicycles.com/us/030.000.000/030.000.006.asp?year=2005&model=11149

This bike is designed and built up for All Mountain. With Maestro suspension platform, the bike is great for climbing. See this link for more details of Maestro suspension.

http://www.suspensionmadeharmonious.com/
All upgrade components are installed in 2009. The bike has been used for 6 months after the upgrade, mostly on weekends. Everything is still in great condition.

FRAME Large or 20" size with Maestro suspension. All bushings have been replaced in 2009. Feel very tight! (UPGRADED!!!)
REAR SHOCK Manitou Swinger 3 way with Rebound and SPV adjustment. 6" eye to eye.
FORK 2007 Mazzochi All Mountain 2, 130-160mm with rebound and ETA adjustment. (UPGRADED!!!)

See more details. http://www.marzocchi.com/template/detailProdotti.asp?LN=UK&idC=1713&IdFolder=113&idMY=30710&IdOggetto=30794

HEADSET 1-1/8" Threadless, Cancreek Aheadset. (UPGRADED!!!)
STEM Easton DH Vice, 31.8mm clamp (UPGRADED!!!)
HANDLEBARS Azonic AZ-7, 28" wide, 31.8mm diameter, Riser handlebar. (UPGRADED!!!)
GRIPS ODI lock on grip
FRONT BRAKE Hayes hydraulic brake with 6" rotor (UPGRADED!!!)
REAR BRAKE Hayes hydraulic brake with 6" rotor (UPGRADED!!!)
FRONT DER Shimano Deore LX, 3 speed
REAR DER SRAM X-9, 9 speed (UPGRADED!!!)
SHIFT LEVER SRAM X-9, Index shifter. (UPGRADED!!!)
(There is a crack on front shifter clamp, shown in picture. But the shifter works perfectly, still clamp right on with no movement. So, I didn't bother to change it.)
CASSETTE SRAM PG950 11-34T, 9 speed
CHAIN Shimano HG 53
CRANKSET Race Face Ride XC ISIS 22/32/44
BOTTOM BRACKET Race Face SRX ISIS
PEDALS Sun Ringle, flat platform (UPGRADED!!!)
RIMS & HUBS WTB Laser Trail rims/ DT Swiss 370 (UPGRADED!!!)
TIRES Kenda Nevegal 26 x 2.35", John Tarmac signature series (UPGRADED!!!)
SADDLE WTB Laser, carbon fiber with titanium rails. (UPGRADED!!!)
SEATPOST Easton EA50 350x30.9

the guys price is just under $700. Will probably be about seven may be a little more after shipping I would think. From what I read this it pretty decent bike. Would really like to get something newer but funds don't allow that right now. any information or opinions postop. Thanks a lot have a good one

Posted: Sep 30, 2018 at 1:58 Quote
I may be honest with you...
Back in 2005 that would've been a decent bike..
But now that all the standards have changed, you won't really find replacements or upgrades to those parts (esp drivetrain, it seems impossible to find a 135qr hub nowadays, let alone 9 speed transmission replacements/upgrades)..

If I got the bike I'd change cranks, brakes and have the fork serviced asap, I'd get a single sprocket like a 32-36 one and a nice bashguard, an enduro-like cassette (you save some weight and make the bike a tad more sturdy and versatile).. 160mm rotors are good for XC, I'd personally get at least 180mm ones (7") front and rear, you can't really have too much stopping power...

700$ may be good if you leave the bike as it is and buy a new one once something breaks, but tbf you're going to spend at least another $700 on upgrades..

I'm telling you this because I'm in the process of renovating my old FR/DH bike and it's going to cost me a lot (way more than selling the bike and get something more modern)

Posted: Oct 15, 2018 at 23:07 Quote
Wow. You can buy it, good specs

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.009511
Mobile Version of Website