Hope E4 or V4 for street?

PB Forum :: Dirt Jumping & Street
Hope E4 or V4 for street?
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Sep 25, 2018 at 14:08 Quote
Hello everyone!
Who uses the Hope V4 or E4 brake on their street bike on the rear 26 " wheel?
Is the Hope V4 brake too powerful compared to the E4?
Is it worth to pay extra and buy V4 or is it better to buy E4?

Here is the answer of Hope to my question:

bigquotesThe V4 will physically fit with a 160 rotor but due to its power we advise that at least a 180 rotor is used.
If you are looking to use a 140 or 160 rotor I would recommend the E4 over the V4

Regards,

Hope Technology

Posted: Sep 26, 2018 at 11:17 Quote
They basically gave you an answer. Personally, after 20 years on at least a dozen different hydraulic systems, I think for 160mm-sized basic rear wheel dj/street braking, nothing beats Shimano XT M785s for price/power/modulation. Plus it's reliable and cheap and easy to find parts for.

On top of that, hope 4 piston brakes (totally just my opinion here) are overkill for street. I know you had your heart set on hopes, but almost no one in the real world runs 4 piston brakes, just a fact. Manualing is easier with something basic too (regular dual-piston brakes have more of a fine touch kind of modulation. Four pistons usually feel like on/off power, which is bad for finesse and scrubbing minor amounts of speed off)

Posted: Sep 26, 2018 at 13:26 Quote
We run the E4's on my sons downhill bike, no shortage of power there. I love Hope and will personally never put anything else on a downhill bike. We used the Shimano SLX M675 on his first bike and they were great, but the serviceability on the Hopes is a lot easier to me. If you are stuck on Hope take a look at the X2.

Posted: Sep 27, 2018 at 7:01 Quote
Metro-Gnome wrote:
They basically gave you an answer. Personally, after 20 years on at least a dozen different hydraulic systems, I think for 160mm-sized basic rear wheel dj/street braking, nothing beats Shimano XT M785s for price/power/modulation. Plus it's reliable and cheap and easy to find parts for.

On top of that, hope 4 piston brakes (totally just my opinion here) are overkill for street. I know you had your heart set on hopes, but almost no one in the real world runs 4 piston brakes, just a fact. Manualing is easier with something basic too (regular dual-piston brakes have more of a fine touch kind of modulation. Four pistons usually feel like on/off power, which is bad for finesse and scrubbing minor amounts of speed off)

Thanks for the reply.
I used the Hope mono M4 on my previous bike and I loved its modulation and braking power. But then I used a 180 rotor and 24" wheels.
What I want 4 piston brake Hope on my bike is a fact. I just want to understand what is better to choose E4 or V4.Rolleyes

Posted: Sep 27, 2018 at 7:04 Quote
mudjnky wrote:
We run the E4's on my sons downhill bike, no shortage of power there. I love Hope and will personally never put anything else on a downhill bike. We used the Shimano SLX M675 on his first bike and they were great, but the serviceability on the Hopes is a lot easier to me. If you are stuck on Hope take a look at the X2.

Thanks for the reply.
X2 is very weak for me as my weight is 93 kg and height is 193 cm.

Posted: Sep 27, 2018 at 9:00 Quote
NIKEFIR wrote:
mudjnky wrote:

Thanks for the reply.

I would say go E4 then. I think they modulate well. But I would say maybe try to run a 160-180 rotor and just get an adapter to mount the caliper.

Posted: Oct 1, 2018 at 10:43 Quote
mudjnky wrote:
NIKEFIR wrote:
mudjnky wrote:

Thanks for the reply.

I would say go E4 then. I think they modulate well. But I would say maybe try to run a 160-180 rotor and just get an adapter to mount the caliper.

I plan to use only 160 rotor. V4 has a smaller modulation range than E4, but is more powerful. In the street is very important brake modulation and then E4 will be better?

Posted: Oct 2, 2018 at 8:59 Quote
My favorite hyrdos for street/dirt are Shimano SLXs. Best bang for your buck in my opinion, good feel, works with a 160 rotor just fine, and the lever feels good to me, as street/dirt rider.

Plus you riding street my dude, you´re gonna be breaking stuff. Think about replacement and maintenance costs.

Posted: Oct 3, 2018 at 0:06 Quote
That's pretty much what iwas saying. The heart wants what the heart wants, I guess. Shimano is THE go-to for us street/ dirt riders imo

Posted: Oct 3, 2018 at 0:16 Quote
impoppawheelie wrote:
My favorite hyrdos for street/dirt are Shimano SLXs. Best bang for your buck in my opinion, good feel, works with a 160 rotor just fine, and the lever feels good to me, as street/dirt rider.

Plus you riding street my dude, you´re gonna be breaking stuff. Think about replacement and maintenance costs.

upgrade the rotors for the SLX to the RT-76 rotors, they will add more stopping power, and 180 mm rotors will give even more.

Posted: Oct 4, 2018 at 8:15 Quote
upgrade the rotors for the SLX to the RT-76 rotors, they will add more stopping power, and 180 mm rotors will give even more.[/Quote

I actually just did that recently, upgraded from some random bullshit rotor, made a big difference, good looks.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.011713
Mobile Version of Website