What's the purpose of cycling gloves?

PB Forum :: Road Cycling and Touring
What's the purpose of cycling gloves?
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Sep 26, 2018 at 1:49 Quote
So cycling gloves? I don't perceive how this can change my experience of riding bikes.

Somebody please clarify what benefits I get from them. Possibly I would get a few if the advantages are sufficient.

Posted: Oct 3, 2018 at 20:25 Quote
The ones I have are padded and it helps on rough roads. I don’t understand no fingers especially when it’s hot out so I use motorcycle gloves with padded palms for summer riding.

Posted: Oct 8, 2018 at 10:11 Quote
Ever crashed and shredded your palms? I have, and I can tell you its not a great experience.
Some gloves also have padding on them which makes it more comfortable for longer rides

Posted: Oct 8, 2018 at 11:31 Quote
I had a very innocent crash this summer that shredded my palm and made it painful to grip the bars for the rest of a very important trip. Gloves would have saved me a lot of grief. I still love the feeling of not wearing gloves, but if you are starting out, I wouldn't get in the no glove habit.

Posted: Oct 13, 2018 at 9:45 Quote
I need to wear gloves to keep my fingers from freezing for about 3 months out of every year.

Posted: Mar 19, 2022 at 10:41 Quote
I recommend wearing gloves when cycling because wearing gloves brings a lot of benefits. Cycling gloves may be an underrated cycling piece of equipment, but it's just as essential as a bike helmet. Cycling gloves not only make you look like a professional cyclist but also improve your overall riding experience. Besides, they protect you from collisions and accidents. Gloves can enhance your grip and control on the bike handlebars, providing extra padding and protecting your hands in the event of a crash. Like helmets, gloves serve as protective gear for every rider.

Posted: Mar 28, 2022 at 14:33 Quote
I think summer gloves are typically to provide some extra padding and protect your hands in the event of a crash. Winter gloves / rain gloves are more for weather protection. Some may provide some padding.

Posted: Jul 4, 2022 at 7:19 Quote
I dont use cycling gloves but gloves more suited to the enviornment hazzards,
Cold, wet weather, if its rocky rough and chances of a fall etc
If the ride doesnt warrent gloves I will still have a durable leather pair of some type on me,
an unleashed dog at your ankle wanting a fight, vegetation ( hogweed is delightful )
barbed wire, broken glass, urban jungle is full of wankers with intent on wanting to
trash everything and anything, sometimes its better to put the used needles in a coke can
than ride around them on the path

Posted: Jul 9, 2022 at 16:12 Quote
Well …. Just the other day I decided to ride my MTB gloveless. Do mostly road riding, with gloves. Skipped the gloves, it was an easy ride because I am recovering from an injury. As I got into the climb home on that warm day, and my bar grips were slippery with sweat, I recalled one major reason to wear gloves, that being for grip when its warm or hot out. You can add to that, being able to wipe your nose/brow with the back of the glove (wash them every time by the way.). Plus the aforementioned shredded palm posts. I might add, for me, keeping the sun off the backs of my hands is a plus too. Have had skin cancer twice, and that’s a lot of fun. It does seem that I have seen a lot of pictures lately, such as in ads, where people aren’t wearing gloves.

Posted: Jul 9, 2022 at 18:49 Quote
To sum up: They can improve your grip, they can reduce hand pain caused by vibrations and/or chafing, they can prevent sunburn in the heat, they can keep your hands warm in the cold, and they can protect your skin in the event of a crash.

I never MTB without gloves on.

Posted: Jul 9, 2022 at 19:29 Quote
barp wrote:
To sum up: They can improve your grip, they can reduce hand pain caused by vibrations and/or chafing, they can prevent sunburn in the heat, they can keep your hands warm in the cold, and they can protect your skin in the event of a crash.

I never MTB without gloves on.

I am in total agreement, I never ride anywhere without gloves.
As I am an old rider I have crashed 100's of times.
Rarely hit my head but always manage to get my hands out to cushion the impact.Gravel under the skin is not a pretty sight.
I use "fingerless" unless it is too cold.
Also handy for nose picking and rolling joints.

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.005996
Mobile Version of Website