Broken Ankle, 6 months after broken wrist! Frustration and out of motivation...

PB Forum :: Fitness, Training and Health
Broken Ankle, 6 months after broken wrist! Frustration and out of motivation...
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Sep 29, 2018 at 10:51 Quote
Hi,

Have to share this...
I'm 41, have a family with 3 kids, have been riding more than 12 years and mtb is kind of everything for me after my family.

In September 24, five days ago, I've broke my ankle and waiting for surgery in the next few days. Now I just laying on the bed, off my bike, and most important not really able to help my wife around the house/kids. Due to my job (art director) I could work from home, although my boss doesn't like it at all.

All this happened 6 months after my wrist fracture. 3 months after I broke my wrist I started to ride (May), come back to my shapes very quick, and even ride more fast and aggressively. I had a lot of motivation, thought most positively, working very hard on rehabilitation and NEVER had a really fear feelings to back to ride.

My first crash was on technical/roots/rocks/drop descent, so I know that was serious challenge. My current one (broken ankle), just was STUPIDLY back falling on my leg in simple street riding when I trying a manual!

Now I'm frustrated, devastated and out of motivation at all. It's second serious injury with surgery I had in less than 7 months. I know sh**d happens and this could happen again... it's scares me a lot. Don't know how to deal with it....

O+
Posted: Nov 1, 2018 at 11:26 Quote
Hey man, sorry to hear. I'm currently in a similar situation. Broke my wrist July 15. Full distal radius fracture and ulna styloid. 16 weeks later I still can't ride, or hardly grip a handlebar. And now my physio says I have a DRUJ instability due to a full TFCC tear and might need a second surgery. And possibly a 3rd to repair a scapholunate tear. If that's the case I might miss the entire season next year too

I'm super bummed out that I haven't been able to ride a bike and at minimum my season is effectively over. I guess it only helps to take the long view. Think of all the riding you'll do after you heal up.

Posted: Nov 1, 2018 at 12:07 Quote
That really sucks, man. I'm in the same boat, though with hip and shoulder injuries respectively. I know I'll get back to riding, but it's just so hard to be very happy right now. Just stick it out and you can be back on the fun.

Posted: Nov 2, 2018 at 7:54 Quote
That sucks. Have a similar situation. Crushed my heal in April. Got surgery with a sh*tload of hardware added to the healbone. Range of motion sucks and I have daily pain. Got back to mellow riding 3 months later. Was riding at maybe at 80% in october when i crashed and broke my collarbone and a rib. No surgery but off the bike AGAIN! Hoping for harware removal in the heal next year. Should be able to ride in january/february...
My way of coping is to buy stuff and plan for a possible biking vacation. Did that with the healbone, although I did crash the first day of that vacation. But you need something too look forward too, like a long weekend in an awesome place for biking.

Posted: Nov 25, 2018 at 7:06 Quote
Yeah its hard to cope with a fracture and all the time you can't ride the bike. Same with the family aspect of this.
Broke my ankle late Juni this summer, and was finally on the bike after surgery late September.
Can't ride as hard as before right now, but probably ready for start in 2019.
The most shit with all this is the "depression" I got with all this. Too sit all summer (best summer ever) with cast while I can't ride or help my daughter and girlfriend was really hard.
Even though I was the coolest dad when picking up my daughter at daycare with a cast and crutches.

Posted: Nov 28, 2018 at 18:02 Quote
Having been, and still am, in your shoes I can relate. At 50, with multiple surgeries and a final concussion from a crash leaving me unable to ride, drive, or work, it can be overwhelming at times. All you can do is focus on the good in your life; enjoy your family, refocus your talents at work, and find time on something that brings you joy outside of riding. Remind yourself it could have been worse. I do that often, as bad as my situation is I remind myself that the crash and head injury could have been worse, leaving me paralyed or worse. Be thankful for the loved ones who support you. Talk to others. And when the time comes to ride again, start slow and just enjoy the freedom and joy of riding again. As time progresses and your comfort level rises you can start to challenge yourself again. I hope this helps a little bit and wish you well in your recovery.

Posted: Dec 13, 2018 at 17:03 Quote
OnkleJoachim wrote:
Having been, and still am, in your shoes I can relate. At 50, with multiple surgeries and a final concussion from a crash leaving me unable to ride, drive, or work, it can be overwhelming at times. All you can do is focus on the good in your life; enjoy your family, refocus your talents at work, and find time on something that brings you joy outside of riding. Remind yourself it could have been worse. I do that often, as bad as my situation is I remind myself that the crash and head injury could have been worse, leaving me paralyed or worse. Be thankful for the loved ones who support you. Talk to others. And when the time comes to ride again, start slow and just enjoy the freedom and joy of riding again. As time progresses and your comfort level rises you can start to challenge yourself again. I hope this helps a little bit and wish you well in your recovery.

Very well said...i broke my hip and shattered my collar bone in a MTB crash June of 2017 (53 at the time), hip surgery immediately, collar bone surgery 6 months later, which took 2 plates to fix, LOTS of rehab. once i was able i started riding again, but have a new rule...keep my tires on the ground. My helmet saved my head...could have been worse, very thankful it was only broke bones. VERY THANKFUL

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.021063
Mobile Version of Website