Best Sub $6K Bike for the BC Bike Race

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Best Sub $6K Bike for the BC Bike Race
  • Previous Page
Posted: Oct 3, 2018 at 9:50 Quote
I'm registered for the BC Bike Race next summer, and bike shopping.

Right now I'm on a '15 Nomad. I love it, and if I were just buying a bike for my normal riding, I'd likely be looking at long-travel enduro bikes. However, one of my good friends rode the BCBR on a Yeti SB6 last year, and said he'd never do it on a bike that heavy, and downhill-oriented again.

According to him, if he could pick any bike in the world to ride it again on, it'd be a sub-25lb 140mm trail bike. If that bike exists, I certainly can't afford it.

So, assuming I don't win the lottery and I'll have to compromise somewhere, what bike should I get? My Nomad weights in at 29lbs 10oz. So I'd want anything to be an improvement, weight-wise, on that.

I have no intention of being competitive in the BCBR, I just want to make my life as easy as possible, and finish with as big a grin on my face as I can.

My thoughts so far:

Go Full XC or "Down County"
Maybe I should just forget about the normal type of riding I do, recognize that the BCBR is a once-in-a-lifetime experience and buy a bike targeted at it.

A Lux, Blur, Epic, Sniper XC are all available with sub-25lb weights, for under $5K. Unless I have some kind of cross-country awakening, I'd likely be selling it after the race and replacing it with a longer-travel bike for my normal riding. Hopefully my wallet wouldn't take too much of a hit reselling a ~6mo old bike.

Get the Lightest Trail Bike I can Afford
Maybe, if I switch from a 165mm bike to a 140mm bike, I wouldn't need to replace it after the BCBR. I certainly don't have much local terrain that needs a longer travel bike, and a 140mm trail bike would probably be the "right" bike for most of my riding.

Realistically, if I want to spend less than $6K, the lightest trail bike I can afford is going to be around 27-28lbs. So I'll be suffering a touch more on climbs during the race.

I've got a big spreadsheet comparing my options here, but the top contenders would be a Jeffsy, Smuggler (the only bike on the list carried by my lbs, so an appealing option), Spectral, Hightower or Primer.

What do you think?
Should I embrace my (deeply hidden) inner XC rider, try out the world of trail bikes, or do something else entirely? I'd love advice on specific builds too (e.g., lower-spec drivetrain + carbon wheels vs. X01 with aluminum, etc...).

Posted: Oct 3, 2018 at 10:34 Quote
You said it yourself, a trail bike would suit you best for your type of riding. A Sub-25lb 140mm travel bike honestly is unachievable for your budget and unnecessary for you as a rider outside of this race, of which you said you aren't trying to be competitive in.

The race is irrelevant. Buy whatever bike you'll have the most fun with AFTER the race. Weight doesn't mean much. I ride plenty of XC and singletrack trails on my 33lb 29er Capra just fine.

There's also the reality that it's cheaper to increase your fitness rather than lighten up your bike...

Posted: Oct 3, 2018 at 12:25 Quote
My vote would be for a Guerrilla Gravity Trail Pistol; aggressive/fun geometry (that would serve you well after the race), efficient pedaling platform with tuning options (wheel size, plush/crush etc.) and can be built up to 27lb or so with keeping the cost around $6,000 (Race build with some upgrades).

FL
Posted: Oct 3, 2018 at 12:38 Quote
I think going "down country" would be a bad move because your wallet will take a big hit. Even if your bike is in fantastic condition when you go to sell it in a few months, it will have lost a lot of value. Slightly used bikes in great condition go for maybe 60-70% of retail price on eBay so that's a considerable amount of money lost. I think a good route to take would be to buy a trail bike like you are thinking, and then just make it as light as possible. And put some more XC-ish rubber on when it comes time for the race.

O+
Posted: Oct 3, 2018 at 12:47 Quote
Alright so if it were me, this is what I'd go for:

Frame: Pivot Mach 429 Trail
Fork: Fox 34 140mm
Shock: Float DPS Factory eVol
Dropper: Fox Transfer performance 150mm
Wheels: WeAreOne Insider on DT 240s w/CXRay spokes
Crank: Sram XX1 Eagle or, if you don't hate DUB, then a Truvativ Stylo
Drivetrain: GX Eagle shifter/deraileur, X01 cassette
Brakes: Sram Guide R, with CL brake pads (Levels if you don't mind giving up braking power for weight savings)
Multi-tool: Oneup EDC w/100cc pump

All the other pieces are personal preference or semi-inconsequential. The 429 Trail is super efficient and deceivingly capable. I'd happily pedal it for days on end, and still be okay taking it down most of the black trails in the BC area (which are significantly harder than the blacks in your native Idaho). The above build should come in somewhere around 25 lbs (for a large frame) and be very fast, very capable, and very comfortable.

You mentioned that the "ideal" would be a super light 140mm bike. I don't think you're going to find that in your price range. What I'm guessing you really mean by that is that you want a bike that climbs reasonable but can still rip downhill when you need it to. Here's the thing: DW link bikes feel notoriously more supple than their travel numbers suggest. If no one told me, and I just rode downhill, I'd guess the travel on the 429 at 135mm, when in reality it's a full 20mm less than that. And yet, if I just rode it uphill, I'd guess it at 100mm. It's pretty remarkable, and I think it hits the balance that you're looking for.

Other bikes I'd suggest to you in a similar category and with a similar build would be the Intense Primer and the Ibis Mojo 3 (in non-plus mode) if you prefer the 27.5 platform. They're both exceptionally efficient climbers that aren't afraid to party.

Posted: Oct 3, 2018 at 15:03 Quote
zsandstrom wrote:
Other bikes I'd suggest to you in a similar category and with a similar build would be the Intense Primer and the Ibis Mojo 3 (in non-plus mode) if you prefer the 27.5 platform. They're both exceptionally efficient climbers that aren't afraid to party.

I forgot about the Primer. A $6K 27lb 140/130 trail bike with carbon rims is a killer value.

Posted: Oct 3, 2018 at 21:22 Quote
atourgates wrote:

Right now I'm on a '15 Nomad. I love it, and if I were just buying a bike for my normal riding, I'd likely be looking at long-travel enduro bikes. However, one of my good friends rode the BCBR on a Yeti SB6 last year, and said he'd never do it on a bike that heavy, and downhill-oriented again.

According to him, if he could pick any bike in the world to ride it again on, it'd be a sub-25lb 140mm trail bike. If that bike exists, I certainly can't afford it.

So, assuming I don't win the lottery and I'll have to compromise somewhere, what bike should I get? My Nomad weights in at 29lbs 10oz. So I'd want anything to be an improvement, weight-wise, on that.

I have no intention of being competitive in the BCBR, I just want to make my life as easy as possible, and finish with as big a grin on my face as I can.

My thoughts so far:

Maybe I should just forget about the normal type of riding I do, recognize that the BCBR is a once-in-a-lifetime experience and buy a bike targeted at it.

A Lux, Blur, Epic, Sniper XC are all available with sub-25lb weights, for under $5K. Unless I have some kind of cross-country awakening, I'd likely be selling it after the race and replacing it with a longer-travel bike for my normal riding. Hopefully my wallet wouldn't take too much of a hit reselling a ~6mo old bike.

Maybe, if I switch from a 165mm bike to a 140mm bike, I wouldn't need to replace it after the BCBR. I certainly don't have much local terrain that needs a longer travel bike, and a 140mm trail bike would probably be the "right" bike for most of my riding.

Realistically, if I want to spend less than $6K, the lightest trail bike I can afford is going to be around 27-28lbs. So I'll be suffering a touch more on climbs during the race.

I've got a big spreadsheet comparing my options here, but the top contenders would be a Jeffsy, Smuggler (the only bike on the list carried by my lbs, so an appealing option), Spectral, Hightower or Primer.

What do you think?
Should I embrace my (deeply hidden) inner XC rider, try out the world of trail bikes, or do something else entirely? I'd love advice on specific builds too (e.g., lower-spec drivetrain + carbon wheels vs. X01 with aluminum, etc...).

Hi, I owned a 2017 canyon spectral 9.0 sl with alloy rims, handlebars and stem and it only weighed 27 pnds! It was a 140mm rear and 150 uo front and it was very efficient on the climbs and downhill. You can probably get your hands on one for around the 2000 dollar mark and put some sweet carbon on it and get the weight down to around 25 pnds

Posted: Oct 4, 2018 at 15:35 Quote
#1. FYI - I live/ride in the area/trails where the BC bike race takes place. The downhill sections are gnarlier than you might realize. Most of these areas and trails, generally, are being ridden by longer travel enduro bikes. For instance, this past years race, the Cumberland section is basically half the stages from the Enduro race I just did there a few weeks ago. Same with the Cowichan Valley (Mt Tzuhalem) section. And the North Van and Squamish days are no joke either. Though yes, each day does consist of some more XC type trails and for that reason a full on enduro bike like the Yeti is too much.

If I was doing the BC Bike race I'd get a 140/150 bike for sure, it's the perfect bike. The guys doing this race on XC bikes are fitness nuts, you're not going to beat them or even see them on the climbs, but they also slow down quite a bit on the downs and/or are amazing bike riders and can man-handle and XC bike down terrain usually reserved for Enduro bikes.

#2. Yes, generally speaking (not BC Bike race) most people are over-gunned when it comes to travel.. and specifically with regards to the Enduro races I mentioned that I've done at the same locations... I ride a 140/150 bike where I just upgraded the front fork to 160 and upgraded to burlier wider rubber... and it kills at enduros. I can climb really well and can charge the downs just as well as anyone else (in my cat), at least I think I can.

So that would be my recommendation... get a 140/150 bike, and maybe load it up with faster rolling on the the skinny side rubber for the race. Then after the race upgrade the air shaft in the fork to 160mm and put some burlier/wider rubber on it.

A bike I'd recommend... though I'm biased because I own one is the Norco Sight. Another bike I like is the new Knolly Fugitive LT - perfect BC Bike race bike.

Or the Rocky Mountain Instinct - it's a 140/140 bike or can be had in the "BC Edition" as a 155/160 which is what the Rocky Mountain EWS team race. You can also buy the 140/140 version and upgrade it with afterwards to mimic the BC Edition. This bike also has a flip chip... so depending on the days trails you can adjust from slack to steep.

Also, with most of these bikes, depending on the spec you choose, you probably have room to upgrade for weight reasons (carbon wheels, handlbar, cranks etc).

Posted: Oct 4, 2018 at 21:41 Quote
I agree the above poster. I also live in BC and ride these areas a lot, and the skill level required is a fair alot more than other places in north America. I talked to a guy who volunteered at the bc bike race and he was blown away by the people who spent thousands of dollars to enter the race, who brought along $8k race bikes, and walked every downhill trail feature. You can travel to these areas for a hell of a lot less and walk down features with way less stress of a race environment.

I remember seeing an instagram post of one of the easiest North van trail sections (forever after where the rollover bridge is near the bottom after that punchy climb, for those in the know), and it was a steady stream of like a hundred riders walking their bike around it. They had to station somebody there to tell riders to ride the bridge and it's not scary. And still nobody was doing it.

A capable trail bike would be the most fun and suck the least. 140/150 travel bike like the above had suggested. I owned a yt Jeffsy 29 and it was great on the north shore and squamish. And now own a smuggler and would also not hesitate to take it on anything there either. The 120-130mm rear travel bikes that "feel" like they have more travel due to their geos (smuggler, trek fuel ex, evil following, etc) would also do well.

Bottom line just do go full enduro not full xc and have fun!

O+
Posted: Oct 4, 2018 at 22:25 Quote
It is all about climbing.........if position matters. And the good times are all in the decents, too bad they don't make up the time lost being a slower climber.

You will see every sort of bike at the race so don't worry too much. I did it on a Smuggler with a 36 Talas 120-150 and big brakes. It was a decent climber and super fun descender. I could have done a few things to make it lighter and faster but in the end I just didn't care about the results.

My best advice is to make sure you have one easier gear than you normally would want. There are going to be a few moments climbing where everyone struggles. Maybe not the superhumans but the rest of us.

I went for a ride on the Carbon SBG Smuggler the other day and it was pretty great. Mine is a 17 so alloy and pre SBG.

Don't overthink it, just get a bike you love riding and........ride it. And do some maintenance before the race. It was pretty funny how many people had problems that could have been easily avoided. I am not the person that would ever make a spreadsheet to decide anything so this may not be a technical enough response but it is one with direct experience.

The best part of the race is all the people you meet and get to share the trails with.

Have a great time!

atourgates wrote:

My thoughts so far:

What do you think?

Posted: Oct 4, 2018 at 23:29 Quote
Also, if you’re not a fan of XC type riding/racing I’d suggest doing the Trans BC Enduro. It’s basically the same format as BC Bike Race but instead of aggressive XC... it’s a 6 day Enduro Race in the interior of BC. Same deal with all the accommodation, meals and transportation included. And you don’t have to buy a new bike! Just google Trans BC Enduro and watch the daily videos. It’s what I plan on doing in a couple years. The vibe is also a little more laid back and chilled out compared with the BC Bike race. Similar to the Trans Cascadia Enduro that has daily videos being featured on Pinkbike right now... hmm might be done now, but google that one as well.

Posted: Oct 5, 2018 at 6:18 Quote
My Rocky Mountain Altitude Rally Edition (160/150) weighs 27 lbs with XTR brakes and 1X10 drivetrain. For racing, take a look at the Instinct as islandforlife suggested...Don

Posted: Oct 5, 2018 at 11:54 Quote
Just wanted to say thanks to everyone who’s chimed in with their suggestions.

I totally agree that I don’t want to be waking tech sections, so I’ll focus on getting something in the 140mm range as light as I can afford.

I’ve been talking with my LBS to see what I could do to put a Smuggler GX build on a diet without blowing my budget.

I was chatting with a rep from Evil that sent me a link to this article about a 25 lb following: http://reviews.mtbr.com/why-diet-when-your-bike-can-lose-weight-for-you But that’s going to be pretty astronomically out of my budget.

The Trans BC Enduro is next on my list of bucket-list-bike bike adventures. I’ve done a bit of riding around Rossland, and absolutely loved it.

Posted: Oct 5, 2018 at 13:45 Quote
atourgates wrote:
Just wanted to say thanks to everyone who’s chimed in with their suggestions.

I totally agree that I don’t want to be waking tech sections, so I’ll focus on getting something in the 140mm range as light as I can afford.

I’ve been talking with my LBS to see what I could do to put a Smuggler GX build on a diet without blowing my budget.

I was chatting with a rep from Evil that sent me a link to this article about a 25 lb following: http://reviews.mtbr.com/why-diet-when-your-bike-can-lose-weight-for-you But that’s going to be pretty astronomically out of my budget.

The Trans BC Enduro is next on my list of bucket-list-bike bike adventures. I’ve done a bit of riding around Rossland, and absolutely loved it.

Happy to help... but since you mention Evil bikes have you taken a look at their newly released Offering, it's their new 140mm bike... looks pretty sweet.

O+ FL
Posted: Oct 5, 2018 at 14:15 Quote
islandforlife wrote:
Also, if you’re not a fan of XC type riding/racing I’d suggest doing the Trans BC Enduro. It’s basically the same format as BC Bike Race but instead of aggressive XC... it’s a 6 day Enduro Race in the interior of BC. Same deal with all the accommodation, meals and transportation included. And you don’t have to buy a new bike! Just google Trans BC Enduro and watch the daily videos. It’s what I plan on doing in a couple years. The vibe is also a little more laid back and chilled out compared with the BC Bike race. Similar to the Trans Cascadia Enduro that has daily videos being featured on Pinkbike right now... hmm might be done now, but google that one as well.

I believe OP has already registered but wanted to second this. BCBR has a shit load of fire road/double track pedaling and a lot of up/down (look at Trailforks routes from previous years), as long as you expect that then cool. I think a 29er 130-140mm would be plenty if you are a competent rider, there isn't any gnarly descending... That Intense Sniper Trail is one I would look hard at if the money made sense.

Yeah the people walking that feature on Forever After on Mt. Seymour was kinda hilarious. Definitely don't take an XC race bike if you want to be comfortable. As long as seated pedaling position is good (steep STA) and you have 67ish head tube with a Pike/Fox 34 you are fine for any descending.

Consider tire choice as well, it's huge with the mileage over the week. Given the costs you are spending for the race, may as well take two sets of tires: something like a 2.3 DHF front + 2.3 Aggressor for bad conditions or if it's dry (most likely) a fast rolling combo 2.3 Forekaster front + 2.25 Aspen or Crossmark rear... EXO casings.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.012420
Mobile Version of Website