Trek Slash Opinions

PB Forum :: Trek
Trek Slash Opinions
| Next Page
Posted: Feb 18, 2019 at 9:21 Quote
I bought a Slash 8 moving up from a Remedy 8. I went with the 29er wheels for enduro racing, I miss the poppy feel of the 27.5s but the 29s are faster over all. I made a bunch of mods that really brought the bike to life, its my go to bike for all but the tamer trails and all day climbing type rides.

Posted: Apr 25, 2019 at 9:16 Quote
[Quote="DuncyH"]Thought I'd add some thoughts after owning the bike a little while, still not long enough to fully have settled on setup and opinions on it yet.

So I'm 5ft 10, I went for the 19.5" 9.8 and the sizing is perfect for me. The reach numbers and such means this bike doesn't feel all that big relative for a large.

Now for the seat post slamming situation. On the 19.5 frame with the 150mm dropper it does not slam down. There's about an inch to an inch and a half left over. The cause is the cable into the dropper hits the pivot bolt in the seat tube and the seat post itself is fairly long which doesn't help. I've no doubt a one up dropper would allow you to absolutely slam it but for me it's not necessary as I need it a bit higher anyway. If my dropper fails I think I'd get a 170mm one up anyway then I can slam it all the way should that happen but it's not necessary.

The tires on the bike are not terrible but no one at Trek has ever probably understood what UK conditions are like ha. They work okay as a back tire for summer as they roll well but really you'll want something more aggressive on there to suit the bike. I changed out to a DHR and Shawty for the sloppy UK conditions at the moment.

The wheels/rims. Mixed emotions here. It took me 4 rides to blow up a rim on a mild compression, the tire didn't even flat, I've absolutely hammered Enves before so know what carbon rims should be capable of. Within a week Trek sent me out a rim but said it was crash damage and that they replaced as a good will gesture, but the rim doesn't really match my front one and they wouldn't do anything about that. I was a bit miffed by that and then the only other bike from my shop with these rims that we sold also had a rim blowout in less than a week, Trek did the same thing with them. The thing that pulled me back in favour of them was that they just introduced this 2 year free crash replacement on them anyway. Also since the rim I've given it much more of a bashing and hammering and it's coped well and as expected of such a rim.

The suspension. I don't think I've really managed to dial it in yet. I need to pull all the grease out of the air spring that fox seem to ram in there in order to get some more small bump compliance that I know can be found in fox forks. The rear shock has caused no issues so far, it appears I'm using full travel a lot but never feels harsh or I never feel bottom out. I have only just got hold of some extra volume spacers. It's already nearly full with them though. With some digging I found there's a secret valve hidden on the piggyback that should be 250 psi and mine was at 50. Not rode since changing that so will see what that changes. This bike you really sit on top/higher in the travel compared to santa cruz style. I'm not convinced I've dialled in the Trek enough yet to give a more rounded opinion on it.

The bike climbs really well, I slammed the seat far forward to counter the seat angle. I climbed some questionable stuff first time out on it and it's really stable when its loose and horrible underneath you. As for pointing the other way this bike is fast, pointing downhill this thing just wants to keep on accelerating and absolutely charge, show it something wide with many line choices and it'll take off like a scolded cat. It does tight corners a whole lot better than I had imagined with the big wheels. I think this is down to the geo/sizing not being too large and cumbersome.

I might do a more thorough write up on it once I've spent more time on it and really dialled it in but these are my thoughts for now.[/Quote

1 up 170 does not slam down any further than bontrager 150 just for anyone who is wondering. the 1up 170 actually sits about 10mm higher.

Posted: May 5, 2019 at 7:05 Quote
Mekamonkey wrote:
I bought a Slash 8 moving up from a Remedy 8. I went with the 29er wheels for enduro racing, I miss the poppy feel of the 27.5s but the 29s are faster over all. I made a bunch of mods that really brought the bike to life, its my go to bike for all but the tamer trails and all day climbing type rides.

Where’d you get the frame decals?

Posted: Jul 4, 2019 at 1:08 Quote
Hi, just got a new new Slash 8 in 21.5 size. Does someone know if I can fit a longer-stroke dropper that is still slammed? I would like to get the Highline 160mm or the Reverb 170mm, but would hate the extra post showing.

Posted: Jul 4, 2019 at 7:48 Quote
chrysanthos wrote:
Hi, just got a new new Slash 8 in 21.5 size. Does someone know if I can fit a longer-stroke dropper that is still slammed? I would like to get the Highline 160mm or the Reverb 170mm, but would hate the extra post showing.

I don't know anything about the Highline, but I'm not sure the Reverb will get you where you want. One Up is probably still your best bet. Over stock, it can get you an extra 10-15mm of extra travel.

Anyone have that website listing specs of tons of different droppers?

Posted: Jul 5, 2019 at 2:11 Quote
iliveonnitro wrote:
chrysanthos wrote:

I don't know anything about the Highline, but I'm not sure the Reverb will get you where you want. One Up is probably still your best bet. Over stock, it can get you an extra 10-15mm of extra travel.

Anyone have that website listing specs of tons of different droppers?

Thanks. Yes I'm after that 1-2cm extra to also slamming down for descents

Posted: Jul 17, 2019 at 5:18 Quote
MrDiamondDave wrote:
swedishfishmx wrote:
pdon wrote:

How does the 21.5 fit? I am 6'1" or about 187 and 188CM

I rode the 19.5" Remedy and it was entirely too small....but people say the slash is "bigger"

It would only feel bigger because of the wheel size. Otherwise at 6'1" and feeling cramped on the Remedy, I would look at getting the 21.5 as they are very similar in size.

It also depends on carbon or aluminum versions, as the geo is different from the two frame materials.

Funny thing, I rode 18.5 Treks for years. Now I ride a 19.5 Remedy and 19.5 Slash at 5'10" bikes geo has changed a lot. You should be a 21.5

1.85m tall with ~88cm inseam. Test rode a Slash 8 19.5 but it fell a little short in terms of horizontal length. Bought a 21.5 and it fits like a glove.

| Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.010991
Mobile Version of Website