New 2015 Kona Operator or "Demo" 2018 Demo 8?

PB Forum :: Downhill
New 2015 Kona Operator or "Demo" 2018 Demo 8?
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Oct 5, 2018 at 14:48 Quote
Hi All,

I'm new to this site and this is my first Post. I went to a DH MTB Park and I'm hooked, looking to buy a DH bike now. I rented a 2018 Santa Cruz V10 and it was awesome! They are selling off the Demo's that they have but $3600 is outside of my range.

I've been looking on Craigslist and on this site for about a month. There's actually a V10 on here that I'm intersted in, but I'm a bit hesitant if I can't see a used bike and meet the owner. Still considering it, but I still have to read through all of the buying tips and get used to the site.

So.....at this point, I'm consideriing buying a 2018 Demo 8 that was used as a Demo at said Mountain Bike Park (Highland in NH). Price is $2000. The guys at the shop seem great and I trust that the bike will be pretty good. I'm also considering buying a Brand New 2015 Kona Operator from what looks to be a bikeshop through this website. This bike is also $2000, which seems like a great deal. I'm leaning towards the Operator seeing as though it's brand new, but it's 3 years older. The Demo 8 is the same price, less the shipping, and I'l get $100 off of a season pass....net savings 225 over the new Kona.

About me.....I'm 44 years old and new to DH. With that said, I raced BMX as a kid for 5 years and have ridden MX most of my life.......so I'm no expert, but not a beginner either.

Any advice you guys might have would be appreciated.

Posted: Oct 6, 2018 at 0:23 Quote
I would suggest to go with the Kona.
Reason why it's new.

Buying a second hand bike you need to know how all the parts wear and tear, know how to spot a bad frame etc.

As you said your new to DH. I assume you not familiar with everything yet (spec wise).

To play safe the Kona is the better choice.
You can upgrade / change bikes over the time.

Second hand bikes can have hidden costs, a DH is nr1 of bikes, so repair costs can shoot up fast.

Posted: Oct 6, 2018 at 9:59 Quote
Thanks for the reply! Unfortunately that Kona sold. I should have acted on it. There is another good deal, but it's on a Kona Supreme Operator. It's 3K which seems to be a great deal, but I can't spend that right now. Guess I'll keep looking

Posted: Oct 6, 2018 at 10:56 Quote
Nothing wrong at all with buying a demo bike from Highland, especially if you'd use the season pass to your advantage. Most rental DH bikes live a easy life, mostly slow speed tipovers, very few are being used at speed.

Posted: Oct 6, 2018 at 10:57 Quote
I'd have the Demo with the season pass and shop support tbh.

Posted: Oct 6, 2018 at 15:42 Quote
Awesome, yeah, was thinking buying a bike from the place I plan on riding it wouldn't be such a bad idea ! I'm going to go there Tuesday or Wednesday. Will check out what they have and ride one for the day.

Was going to get the season pass either way

Thanks for the help guys

Posted: Oct 7, 2018 at 3:38 Quote
Carbon operators are infamous for their frames breaking. Don't buy one.

Posted: Oct 7, 2018 at 7:43 Quote
noted....good stuff man, thank you. hope to ride the "demo" demo 8, like it, and go home with it

Posted: Oct 7, 2018 at 10:06 Quote
Check the classifieds for the blue v10's being sold by the Angel fire bike shop. The bikes from the demo fleet, but the shop takes great care of their bikes. They do great work and will give the bike an overhaul before sale.

Posted: Oct 8, 2018 at 11:58 Quote
Thanks for the replies guys. I'm thinking about pulling the trigger on this. Seems like a good deal

https://m.pinkbike.com/buysell/2421400/

I spoke to the seller over the phone. Anything stand out that I should be wary of? Any obvious signs of a scam? I read the PayPal tips. Would plan to send money for goods, take a screesgot, etc.

Thanks for all your helo

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.008639
Mobile Version of Website