Im looking for a bike frame / forks that wont fail / fatigue

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Im looking for a bike frame / forks that wont fail / fatigue
  • Previous Page
Posted: Oct 8, 2018 at 16:12 Quote
My biggest fear as I race across some rocks at speed is that my frame or fork may fail like I have seen on many youtube videos. Im getting faster I really don't want to eat it because my bike fell apart.

Does anyone know of a frame and some forks that have a reputation for being particularly strong and durable ? NEVER failing.

Im 200lbs and ride a little aggressively with bad technique 2 x a week for 2 hours at a time mostly downhill,

but I'm kinda wanting an enduro bike so I can climb easier

any help appreciated

Posted: Oct 8, 2018 at 16:42 Quote
60ndown wrote:
My biggest fear as I race across some rocks at speed is that my frame or fork may fail like I have seen on many youtube videos. Im getting faster I really don't want to eat it because my bike fell apart.

Does anyone know of a frame and some forks that have a reputation for being particularly strong and durable ? NEVER failing.

Im 200lbs and ride a little aggressively with bad technique 2 x a week for 2 hours at a time mostly downhill,

any help appreciated

Im 200 pounds and ride an evil insurgent (which im selling rn *wink wink*, gotta say you can throw anything at this bike and frame. It has a roxkshox lyrik fork which performs incredibly. My last bike had a fox 34 fork which performed great. Even the lower travel evil calling performs great.

Posted: Oct 8, 2018 at 16:43 Quote
Gmoneyog1 wrote:
60ndown wrote:

any help appreciated

Im 200 pounds and ride an evil insurgent (which im selling rn *wink wink*, gotta say you can throw anything at this bike and frame. It has a roxkshox lyrik fork which performs incredibly. My last bike had a fox 34 fork which performed great. Even the lower travel evil calling performs great.

Of and its a pretty darn good climber for how much travel it has

Posted: Oct 8, 2018 at 18:26 Quote
Gmoneyog1 wrote:
Gmoneyog1 wrote:
60ndown wrote:

any help appreciated

Of and its a pretty darn good climber for how much travel it has

Of that I know plenty of guys who thrash evils and have no complaints. If your looking for a super beefy fork then you cant go wrong with a fox 36

Posted: Oct 8, 2018 at 19:37 Quote
I beat on my Giant Reign SX (DH and rugged trail) and it doesn't do anything weird. I'm 6'3" and 200lbs FYI.

O+
Posted: Oct 8, 2018 at 20:49 Quote
Also about 200 lbs or just over. I have a Kona Process 153 and it’s bomber. Yari fork, sturdy wheels, sturdy tires.

Best advice I can give if you want a reliable bike is to throw away the scale when choosing components. All the bad bike part decisions I have made in the last few years were to chase weight savings.

Posted: Oct 9, 2018 at 4:41 Quote
husstler wrote:
Best advice I can give if you want a reliable bike is to throw away the scale when choosing components. All the bad bike part decisions I have made in the last few years were to chase weight savings.

This is very true and seems to be overlooked sometimes.

Posted: Oct 9, 2018 at 7:22 Quote
husstler wrote:
Also about 200 lbs or just over. I have a Kona Process 153 and it’s bomber. Yari fork, sturdy wheels, sturdy tires.

Absolutely true. There are light components and there are components that will last forever. Sometimes there are light components that last, but it's not the norm.

Posted: Oct 9, 2018 at 8:07 Quote
I'd look into a Commencal Meta, YT Capra, or Canyon Torque (aluminum versions). All long-travel 160-170mm enduro bikes. Any of these can take a serious beating out of box at a serious value you don't get from major brands. At your weight, you will gain stiffness with a CF frame vs. aluminum so that's something to consider too. But of course if you are susceptible to cracking carbon frames, go for the alloy.

Fork-wise, the Fox 36 is super solid, but I'm really liking the Lyrik on my Capra 29er too. Used to be a fox fan-boy but I've been having much better luck with RockShox stuff lately.

Posted: Oct 9, 2018 at 9:06 Quote
I mean, things fatigue over time so if you're aggressive and big, 5-7 years is about what you can expect. Make sure you're getting a beefier fork (Fox 36, RS Lyrik/Yari) and frames that use bearings rather than bushings, and as few of them as practically possible, preferably. Santa Cruz has lifetime bearing replacement on their frames and their frames tend to be quite stiff (lifetime warranty on the carbon too). 2nding the Kona recommendation too, they usually tend to hold up really well.

Posted: Oct 9, 2018 at 9:11 Quote
Giant Reign virtual (maestro) design climbs very well, can handle all sorts of mayhem without problems, comes with strong components specs. plus the benefit of largest manufacturer in the world for frame warranty (on manufacturers defect, to original owner, crash replacement program is terrific plan b, component manufacturers warranties will vary)

O+
Posted: Oct 9, 2018 at 9:25 Quote
At least for the fork, I can vouch that the DVO Diamond is bulletproof. Not light, by any means, but it performs exceptionally well, and can take one hell of a beating. Definitely designed by people that are downhill-biased.

Posted: Oct 9, 2018 at 21:13 Quote
Huffy. In a pinch, can snag a Kent.

You’re welcome.

Posted: Oct 9, 2018 at 21:31 Quote
Lol and thanks all,

I took my 2009 Kona coil air in today to have good mechanics check it for safety as they did such a good job on my 2009 Specialized camber.After talking bikes and safety and my age (54) and my location (45 minutes from the top of Ashland Oregon) and my new found (first downhill ride ever was 3 months ago) desire to ride 2 hour downhill sessions, 8 - 18 times a month, and the fact that there was a nice used shop owned XL bike available I handed over my credit card.

Hopefully I didn't waste my money ...

https://www.pinkbike.com/photo/16443459/

Posted: Oct 9, 2018 at 22:06 Quote
Congratulations on getting a new bike. It's a great feeling. Time to shred and smile.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.009621
Mobile Version of Website