Do you want to make Pinkbike and Trailforks better? Pinkbike is looking for full time Software Developers - Check Available Jobs

Set me up for EWS 2020

| Next Page
Posted: Aug 1, 2019 at 6:34 Quote
I'm riding a Rallon right now. It's an awesome bike, feels great, and is even pretty unique/a rare sighting which is fun right up until your derailleuer hanger costs almost as much, if not more than some respectable derailleurs. Mine is $50 through Jenson USA with 3 week backorder, or $63 through Orbea (not including shipping). You could literally buy entire new slx or zee derailleurs for that price! So if you're on a budget stick to something local bike shops will have parts for, the brands every freakin bike shop carries... Specialized, Trek, Giant, Cannondale, Yeti. (They seriously. do. not. carry other brands around here)

Posted: Aug 19, 2019 at 3:11 Quote
So here’s a new thought.....
I keep the Propain spindrift as my enduro race bike and buy an e bike for training!
The way I see it, the Propain gets me uphill just fine, not gonna win any medals for climbing but it does the job. It’s great descending and I’m used to it and it has a great spec. My fitness will hold me back before the bike does and I can work on that easily although I’d say I’m pretty fit as it is now.
An e mtb would give me so much more gravity time and would mean I can focus on getting better as a rider easier. I see it as a fantastic training tool. I ski tour a lot and the easiest way to get better is to practice skiing variables and off piste and the most efficient way to do that is to use a ski lift. I’d never dream of only touring to get to ski off piste, same with the bikes hey. I can get 10 times the downhill time in a day on an e bike. I’m never going to be really competitive in racing so I’d just prefer to enjoy it and know I’m getting better as a rider. The small gains a new race bike would give don’t outweigh the huge boost in skill more bike time gets me.
Plus an e mtb really opens up the door for nice rides out that aren’t all about race practice, time to enjoy riding for the fun of riding huh.

Thoughts?

Posted: Aug 19, 2019 at 4:11 Quote
toby9843 wrote:
So here’s a new thought.....
I keep the Propain spindrift as my enduro race bike and buy an e bike for training!
The way I see it, the Propain gets me uphill just fine, not gonna win any medals for climbing but it does the job. It’s great descending and I’m used to it and it has a great spec. My fitness will hold me back before the bike does and I can work on that easily although I’d say I’m pretty fit as it is now.
An e mtb would give me so much more gravity time and would mean I can focus on getting better as a rider easier. I see it as a fantastic training tool. I ski tour a lot and the easiest way to get better is to practice skiing variables and off piste and the most efficient way to do that is to use a ski lift. I’d never dream of only touring to get to ski off piste, same with the bikes hey. I can get 10 times the downhill time in a day on an e bike. I’m never going to be really competitive in racing so I’d just prefer to enjoy it and know I’m getting better as a rider. The small gains a new race bike would give don’t outweigh the huge boost in skill more bike time gets me.
Plus an e mtb really opens up the door for nice rides out that aren’t all about race practice, time to enjoy riding for the fun of riding huh.

Thoughts?

Can't really argue with your logic here and it sounds like you've answered your own question?

Sidenote - which races are you looking at (EWS100?) I've recently decided to start entering some UK races with the view to having a crack at some of the Europe EWS100 rounds in 2020 or 21. Ordered an AM9 the other week.

Posted: Aug 19, 2019 at 10:57 Quote
wrote:
wrote:

Can't really argue with your logic here and it sounds like you've answered your own question?

Sidenote - which races are you looking at (EWS100?) I've recently decided to start entering some UK races with the view to having a crack at some of the Europe EWS100 rounds in 2020 or 21. Ordered an AM9 the other week.

Haha yes I think I did answer mynown question. Was just checking opinion really as racing an ews on a 180mm freeride bike is probably not a common activity lol. I think at my level though I'll get more from the increased bike time an e bike would give me rather than a slightly different bike.
Thinking of doing a road trip to either olargues, zermatt or val Di fassa. Not sure which yet but will enter in Dec when they open.
Exciting times. Plenty of britiah rounds to do still as well. Racing in the ard moors soon so that'll give me a good reminder of the spindrift on a big day out. Have raced a few decent enduros on it so far and it's done well.

| Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.013518
Mobile Version of Website