RSD Middlechild & RS-291 - Builds & Chat

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
RSD Middlechild & RS-291 - Builds & Chat
O+
Posted: Nov 10, 2022 at 8:41 Quote
Thanks Jesse, I trust your expertise! this will be an extra wheel, I will keep the stock sun/ringle wheel. Just playing with single speed and other options. Was thinking 27.5, 2.6 minion, I’m not very fast and weigh 150#s so don’t think I’ll roll the sidewalls and think a little more tire volume might smooth out some rocks? I’m also short 5’6 and kinda want to slam the wheel forward to help with manuals. If it sucks, but I like the hub I could just re-lace to a 29 rim.

O+
Posted: Nov 10, 2022 at 10:29 Quote
trailtoad wrote:
Thanks Jesse, I trust your expertise! this will be an extra wheel, I will keep the stock sun/ringle wheel. Just playing with single speed and other options. Was thinking 27.5, 2.6 minion, I’m not very fast and weigh 150#s so don’t think I’ll roll the sidewalls and think a little more tire volume might smooth out some rocks? I’m also short 5’6 and kinda want to slam the wheel forward to help with manuals. If it sucks, but I like the hub I could just re-lace to a 29 rim.

Mullets sound fun, would love to hear your feedback! Still think 29ers roll better, but depending on the trail it does't matter that much. My old middle child did well with 2.6/27.5 front & back on smoother trails and I could have gone narrower. Maxxis 2.5WT tires are kinda my fave. You can run them really low pressure on i35 rims but the shape is still good. Goldilocks size for handling, although, not as fast on the ups!

Posted: Nov 12, 2022 at 7:03 Quote
Been on my Middlechild for about 6 months now and love it for the BMX/dirt jump influenced riding I do. Here's a little review video I made with my thoughts. Curious how it aligns to your experiences, if you already own onw, and hope it can be helpful for this looking to get their first RSD!

https://youtu.be/jN_MOl6NS44

Posted: Nov 19, 2022 at 18:04 Quote
Just ordered a ti mc saposed to be shipped in the next few weeks hopefully. Going to be running 27.5 rims on it. Having a hard time deciding what fork I should run. Been thinking 140 but see they spec them with 150 now.. wondering what everyone is running. Also when I order one do I order one for 29er wheels or the strictly 27.5 fork?

O+
Posted: Nov 19, 2022 at 18:23 Quote
I ran the first generation steel frame with a 160 29er (fox 36 that was 29/27+) and it was fine. Shouldn’t have sold it…

Posted: Nov 20, 2022 at 17:52 Quote
Anyone know the ball park weight of the 291 frame in L or XL? I know the website says 7.something but someone else told me they thought it was in reality more like 9 lbs….

O+
Posted: Nov 21, 2022 at 7:25 Quote
james-chainbrothers-mtb wrote:
Anyone know the ball park weight of the 291 frame in L or XL? I know the website says 7.something but someone else told me they thought it was in reality more like 9 lbs….

I'd say trust the site. I have a ripmo AF and my 291 (large) built up with very similar parts and the ripmo is WAY heavier and it's listed as 8+ lbs (assume without shock). Rootdowns are are listed at aabout 7lb as well. 9lbs would be so burly haha. This bike doesn't ride like a big heavy brute.

O+
Posted: Nov 21, 2022 at 7:28 Quote
Cvega624 wrote:
Just ordered a ti mc saposed to be shipped in the next few weeks hopefully. Going to be running 27.5 rims on it. Having a hard time deciding what fork I should run. Been thinking 140 but see they spec them with 150 now.. wondering what everyone is running. Also when I order one do I order one for 29er wheels or the strictly 27.5 fork?

The bikes are specced with 29er forks, which is always what is used for plus bikes. I ran my MC with the stock fork and 27.5/2.6 tires and the fork had lots of space on between the tire and crown, had me thinking of running a 27.5 fork with more squish to get similar geo. I now have the 291 with a 160mm fork, which is overkill for some, but I like it for my trails which are more slow easy up to fast not overly twisty down. it's amazing what you get used to.

Posted: Nov 24, 2022 at 23:50 Quote
Sounds perfect- thanks for letting me know!

Posted: Nov 26, 2022 at 6:12 Quote
Curious if anyone else has played around with their chainstay length. I'd always road my Middlechild in the shortest setting, but am changing that after doing some testing!

O+
Posted: Nov 26, 2022 at 6:28 Quote
Ksquared13 wrote:
Curious if anyone else has played around with their chainstay length. I'd always road my Middlechild in the shortest setting, but am changing that after doing some testing!

I ran mine just forward of middle

O+
Posted: Nov 27, 2022 at 7:24 Quote
On my old trails I was a shorter as better guy as there were so many little features and lots of tight turns and steep out of the saddle climbs etc. Plus, the trails were smooth. Now I've got long fire road climbs and straighter faster lumpier downs and I have mine maxxed out on the 291. For more playful poppy trails the MC in the shortest settings was awesome, but as things got more techincal and fast I preferred the speed and stability of longer stays.

Posted: Nov 27, 2022 at 9:03 Quote
jesse-effing-edwards wrote:
On my old trails I was a shorter as better guy as there were so many little features and lots of tight turns and steep out of the saddle climbs etc. Plus, the trails were smooth. Now I've got long fire road climbs and straighter faster lumpier downs and I have mine maxed out on the 291. For more playful poppy trails the MC in the shortest settings was awesome, but as things got more technical and fast I preferred the speed and stability of longer stays.

Sounds about right. I ride a lot of BMX and the shorter chainstays play to my strengths. But as a relatively slow rider, I've chosen to pull them all the way out to boost my weaknesses as a rider. I always like have conversations with other riders about setting up their bikes according to their strengths or weaknesses as a rider!

Posted: Nov 29, 2022 at 15:36 Quote
Does a 32 tooth chainring fit on a mc without hitting the chainstays?

O+
Posted: Nov 29, 2022 at 15:53 Quote
Cvega624 wrote:
Does a 32 tooth chainring fit on a mc without hitting the chainstays?

I think you have to push it out depending on offset and all that annoying stuff. Email Alex, though, he probably asnwers this weekly or more. My 30T oval ring rubbed a bit .

Copyright © 2000 - 2023. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.015282
Mobile Version of Website