RSD Middlechild & RS-291 - Builds & Chat

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
RSD Middlechild & RS-291 - Builds & Chat
Posted: Jul 15, 2020 at 18:41 Quote
LunarGriever wrote:
Can anyone offer a comparison of the Middlechild to a Canfield Yelli Screamy? I've been on Yelli's for 8 years, my current one / frame being 5 years old. The middlechild has really caught my eye, but I don't know of anyone around here who has one so I doubt I'd ever get to try it before buying...

I'm thinking I would build it as a 140 travel 29er, and I'm strongly considering the Ti since my hardtail is usually my number 1 bike.

Trails around here (Mid-Atlantic) that I take my hardtail on are generally intermediate level with lots of twist and flow, and shorter punchy climbs. Some rocks and drops as well, but I really want a bike that's really going rail tight single track.

Anyway feedback would be appreciated!

I have owned a few Middle Child frames in different configurations. Compared to the yelli, it’s going to be considerably more stable in rough stuff, primarily because the front Center is much more modern, and the burlier frame. The Middle Child frame is technically designed around 27.5 plus, so running it 29 will have the BB sitting on the 325 range, which isn’t ideal for railing corners.

Having had mine 29, 27.5 x 2.8 and 27.5 x 2.6.. the 27 variety’s felt best to me... even though I generally prefer 29ers.

If I was set on 29 I’d look at the Rootdown.. new Honzo 29, or Cotic Solaris Max.

Posted: Jul 16, 2020 at 6:27 Quote
r-a-w wrote:
LunarGriever wrote:
Can anyone offer a comparison of the Middlechild to a Canfield Yelli Screamy? I've been on Yelli's for 8 years, my current one / frame being 5 years old. The middlechild has really caught my eye, but I don't know of anyone around here who has one so I doubt I'd ever get to try it before buying...

I'm thinking I would build it as a 140 travel 29er, and I'm strongly considering the Ti since my hardtail is usually my number 1 bike.

Trails around here (Mid-Atlantic) that I take my hardtail on are generally intermediate level with lots of twist and flow, and shorter punchy climbs. Some rocks and drops as well, but I really want a bike that's really going rail tight single track.

I have owned a few Middle Child frames in different configurations. Compared to the yelli, it’s going to be considerably more stable in rough stuff, primarily because the front Center is much more modern, and the burlier frame. The Middle Child frame is technically designed around 27.5 plus, so running it 29 will have the BB sitting on the 325 range, which isn’t ideal for railing corners.

Having had mine 29, 27.5 x 2.8 and 27.5 x 2.6.. the 27 variety’s felt best to me... even though I generally prefer 29ers.

If I was set on 29 I’d look at the Rootdown.. new Honzo 29, or Cotic Solaris Max.

Thanks for the feed back. In general I'm ok with the higher BB to avoid pedal strikes, but I see your point. I've checked out those others, and I just think they either have too long chain stays, too long wheelbase, or too steep head angle.

Another bike that I found that looks really interesting on paper is the Curve Downrock, but I don't see any rider reviews on it, only professional ones.

Anyway, thanks again for the feedback!

Posted: Jul 16, 2020 at 8:30 Quote
LunarGriever wrote:
r-a-w wrote:
LunarGriever wrote:

Thanks for the feed back. In general I'm ok with the higher BB to avoid pedal strikes, but I see your point. I've checked out those others, and I just think they either have too long chain stays, too long wheelbase, or too steep head angle.

Another bike that I found that looks really interesting on paper is the Curve Downrock, but I don't see any rider reviews on it, only professional ones.

Generally with a slack head angle even with short stays like the Rootdowns 415’s you’ll have the longer wheelbase. Your terrain sounds a lot like the terrain around me. I went Surface, Rootdown, Middle Middle Child. After riding the MC with 27.5 x2.6 I realized the smaller wheel size was where it’s at for my terrain which requires a lot of explosive pedalling with twisty turny up and down. I wanted to run regular tires 2.5/2.4, so now on a Chromag Wideangle.. with the 27.5, slack HTA and short stays it shreds my local trails... faster in tighter sections and slower In flatter straighter terrain compared to the 29ers. Considering I ride for fun.. the Wideangle is a poppy, playful, Manual machine so smiles are being had.

O+
Posted: Jul 16, 2020 at 16:03 Quote
LunarGriever wrote:
r-a-w wrote:
LunarGriever wrote:

The yelli screamy was my first good hardtail. Then it was on to a transition transam and then 2 chromag rootdowns. You could stick with canfield brothers and get the new nimble 9. I'm a big fan of Chromag and just replaced my 2016 rootdown with the new 2020 frame. Never had an issue with pedal strikes on the rootdown riding in the rocky southwest.

Posted: Jul 16, 2020 at 18:45 Quote
aflax wrote:
LunarGriever wrote:
r-a-w wrote:

The yelli screamy was my first good hardtail. Then it was on to a transition transam and then 2 chromag rootdowns. You could stick with canfield brothers and get the new nimble 9. I'm a big fan of Chromag and just replaced my 2016 rootdown with the new 2020 frame. Never had an issue with pedal strikes on the rootdown riding in the rocky southwest.

Yeah... That's kind of why I'm thinking I'd go all out with the Ti MC. If I wanted a steel bike I'd almost certainly stick with the Nimble 9. I had one, even before I started riding a Yelli, and it was an awesome bike.

Posted: Aug 27, 2020 at 12:34 Quote
Hey guys wondering if you could give me a hand? Im looking at a 2019 middle child chromoly with Nx drive train, xt brakes and a 34 up front but the guy wants like 2500 is that reasonable? Just feel like for a used steel hardtail its kinda steep

Posted: Aug 27, 2020 at 13:33 Quote
Danksi wrote:
Hi there, has anyone tried a 160mm travel fork on the front of their Middlechild?

Yes mine is 29er at 160. Works pretty good!

Small gap jump in my local woods
Small gap jump in my local woods

O+
Posted: Aug 27, 2020 at 13:49 Quote
fisherboys wrote:
Hey guys wondering if you could give me a hand? Im looking at a 2019 middle child chromoly with Nx drive train, xt brakes and a 34 up front but the guy wants like 2500 is that reasonable? Just feel like for a used steel hardtail its kinda steep

Yeah, it's a bit high for a used bike, but 2020 is like that. I'd still push the price down though. The listed is price is rarely the final price.

Posted: Feb 28, 2021 at 15:54 Quote
Just put a deposit on a 2021 Middlechild. Covid decimated supply chains are a blessing in some instances. This newly adjusted spec is insane for the price.

29in GX Build
Frame: 27.5+/29 Aluminum 6061
Fork: DVO Diamond D3 27.5+/29 140mm 44mm
Headset: Cane Creek ZS-44
Handle Bar: Race Face 35mm Chester 780mm
Stem: FSA Comet 35 50mm
Grips: Ergon GE10 Black
Front Wheel: Sun Ringle Duroc 29x35mm Front 15x110mm Boost
Rear Wheel: Sun Ringle Duroc 29x35mm Rear 12x148mm Boost
Crank: SRAM GX Eagle 175mm DM
Chain Ring: SRAM GX 30T Ring
BB: SRAM DUB 73mm BSA
Chain: SRAM Eagle 12spd
Cassette: SRAM Eagle PG-1210 11-50T 12spd
Rear Shifter: SRAM GX Eagle Trigger 12spd
Rear Derailleur: SRAM GX Eagle Long Cage 12spd
Brakes: SRAM Level T
Rotors: SRAM Centerline 180mm Rounded
Saddle: Cionlli 142mm
Seat Post: 30.9mm Race Face Ride / KS LEV Dropper (S 125mm, M 150mm, L 175mm & XL 200mm) with SouthPaw Lever
Rear Axle: SRAM 182mm Rear Maxle Ultimate 12x148mm
Tires: MAXXIS Minion DHF 29×2.5WT 3C/Max Terra/EXO Front and Aggressor 29×2.5WT 3C?Max Terra/EXO Rear

O+
Posted: Mar 1, 2021 at 9:44 Quote
Nice one! Welcome, haha.

When are you expecting delivery?

jelloyacket wrote:
Just put a deposit on a 2021 Middlechild. Covid decimated supply chains are a blessing in some instances. This newly adjusted spec is insane for the price.

29in GX Build
Seat Post: 30.9mm Race Face Ride / KS LEV Dropper (S 125mm, M 150mm, L 175mm & XL 200mm) with SouthPaw Lever
Tires: MAXXIS Minion DHF 29×2.5WT 3C/Max Terra/EXO Front and Aggressor 29×2.5WT 3C?Max Terra/EXO Rear

Posted: Mar 2, 2021 at 9:03 Quote
Oooof, not until 4/30. I'm dying over here.

jesse-effing-edwards wrote:
Nice one! Welcome, haha.

jelloyacket wrote:

29in GX Build

O+
Posted: Mar 2, 2021 at 9:18 Quote
jelloyacket wrote:
Oooof, not until 4/30. I'm dying over here.

Yeah, it's a bit of a wait, but a lot of people won't have new bikes till fall! Feel lucky, hah

jesse-effing-edwards wrote:
Nice one! Welcome, haha.

jelloyacket wrote:

29in GX Build

Posted: Mar 8, 2021 at 7:29 Quote
Anyone have experience running one of these SS?

O+
Posted: Mar 8, 2021 at 8:54 Quote
admccurdy wrote:
Have you run a bike SS before or have any particular concerns? The sliding dropouts are pretty standard and do the job as well as any other similar set ups. One thing I'll say, and this is just me, but as a bike that is a little bit less happy on the out of the saddle climbs than a more traditional trail bike (slack head angle can be a bit more floppy) I think this bike is better geared so climbs can be seated. Especially if you wanna take it up some big hills to do some big downs, but I can appreciate the desire for simplicity on certain trails. I just find when running SS you're out of the saddle a lot more and the slack front may be a bit less stable at slow speeds.

Posted: Mar 8, 2021 at 11:12 Quote
admccurdy wrote:

Works great!

RSD Middlechild chromoly steel 160 fox 36 singlespeed
RSD Middlechild chromoly steel 160 fox 36 singlespeed

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.022005
Mobile Version of Website