RSD Middlechild & RS-291 - Builds & Chat

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
RSD Middlechild & RS-291 - Builds & Chat
Posted: Jan 28, 2022 at 18:47 Quote
jesse-effing-edwards wrote:
Sure.

Are you well versed in hardtail riding?

I came off a middlechild, which is no slouch but this thing is shockingly capable on the downs. I'd say if you do a lot of slower technical tight turns this maybe will feel a touch unruly as it's quite slack. I mean, you can definitely get to know the angles and compensate. If things are more fast paced you're gonna love it. It's so stable at speed and rides quite smooth. The seat tube is not super steep so you may wanna check out the effective top tube measurement as it feels a touch big seated compared to other bikes I've had. Out of the saddle is where the magic happens. If I bought a new stem I'd go as short as possible. If you want to run the shortest chainstay length you might not fit big tires back there. I run 2.4s but have the stays all the way back for stability as I generally pedal double track to downs.

Yeah I prefer hardtails honestly. I have been riding hardtail with flat pedals for the last few years and won’t go back to FS. I prefer simplicity and the challenge of riding hardtail smoothly over the rough stuff! My current bike was spec’s with 120mm fork and 67 degree HT, a reach of 470mm, ST angle of 72.3 degrees and horizontal TT of 645mm. The HT and ST are slacked out as I now have a 150mm fork on the front.

I am eager to try the newer geometry. I will ride some technical single track but also some nice loamy DH mixed with some flow trails. Essentially a mixed bag, but always prefer the aggressive geometry on bikes.

Posted: Jan 29, 2022 at 9:55 Quote
doconnor wrote:
For the advertised 415mm chainstay on the Middlechild, is it possible to get it that short with a normal width 29er tire, say Maxxis 2.4?

I don't think so

Posted: Jan 29, 2022 at 11:03 Quote
doconnor wrote:
For the advertised 415mm chainstay on the Middlechild, is it possible to get it that short with a normal width 29er tire, say Maxxis 2.4?

I don't think so

I think my v1 was at ~420 with DHR2 2.4 wt on i25 rim and ample mud clearance.

Posted: Jan 29, 2022 at 17:43 Quote
Well… took the plunge and ordered an RS-291 frame this evening. Alex was available to give me some answers regarding sizing. Now I just wait for my frame to arrive! So stoked!!

Posted: Jan 30, 2022 at 17:24 Quote
time2evolve wrote:
Well… took the plunge and ordered an RS-291 frame this evening. Alex was available to give me some answers regarding sizing. Now I just wait for my frame to arrive! So stoked!!

Get ready to shred!

Posted: Jan 31, 2022 at 20:45 Quote
Due to snow have only gotten in 3 rides on my Ti Middlechild. Finally have it dialed in and I really enjoy how smooth the ride is. Stiff enough to pedal without flexing but compliant enough to take away the high frequency vibrations. Bumped the fork travel up to 150 for a slacker head angle and increased bar height and think I actually prefer the chainstay in the longest setting.

Posted: Feb 1, 2022 at 7:10 Quote
FeWesty wrote:
Due to snow have only gotten in 3 rides on my Ti Middlechild. Finally have it dialed in and I really enjoy how smooth the ride is. Stiff enough to pedal without flexing but compliant enough to take away the high frequency vibrations. Bumped the fork travel up to 150 for a slacker head angle and increased bar height and think I actually prefer the chainstay in the longest setting.

On my old trails I had fun with the shortest setting as it was tonnes of poppy flowy terrain and never too rough, but extending the sliders definitely brings stability. my 291 is maxxed out back now that I ride more fast / rough downs with less air and it's so smooth. The MC with short stays was like an aggro dirt jumper.

Posted: Feb 1, 2022 at 20:23 Quote
FeWesty wrote:

On my old trails I had fun with the shortest setting as it was tonnes of poppy flowy terrain and never too rough, but extending the sliders definitely brings stability. my 291 is maxxed out back now that I ride more fast / rough downs with less air and it's so smooth. The MC with short stays was like an aggro dirt jumper.

I may have been see how fast I could go on some pretty burly steep trails. But the chainstays are easily changed for different days.

Posted: Feb 2, 2022 at 5:44 Quote
Man, awesome customer service from RSD! ordered the frame with the help of Alex on Saturday evening, frame arrives packaged great on Wednesday! It going to take me a couple months to build this up, but super stoked! Frame looks amazing.

Posted: Feb 2, 2022 at 6:27 Quote
time2evolve wrote:
Man, awesome customer service from RSD! ordered the frame with the help of Alex on Saturday evening, frame arrives packaged great on Wednesday! It going to take me a couple months to build this up, but super stoked! Frame looks amazing.

Yeahh! Nice. Alex definitely gets it out quick. Post up your final build!

Posted: Feb 2, 2022 at 9:48 Quote
Will do. Its not going to be the most exotic build, more of a parts transfer from my Norco Fluid. Hoping to eventually make two bikes, one for shredding and one for bike packing. Would run the Norco Rigid with 27.5x3.0 wheels, and 291 as 29er shred sled! I am always on a tight budget, so she won't be blingy by any means.

Posted: Feb 2, 2022 at 11:40 Quote
time2evolve wrote:
Will do. Its not going to be the most exotic build, more of a parts transfer from my Norco Fluid. Hoping to eventually make two bikes, one for shredding and one for bike packing. Would run the Norco Rigid with 27.5x3.0 wheels, and 291 as 29er shred sled! I am always on a tight budget, so she won't be blingy by any means.

I'm sure fellow 291 owners will be stoked to see it.

Posted: Feb 4, 2022 at 18:12 Quote
Just picked up a pre-owned but unridden chromoly middle child frame and planning the build. This will be a comparison bike to my WHY S7 V2. Couple questions for the RSD owners out there. I could also just email Alex I guess but I'll ask here first.

Fork: Running 27.5+ which I believe should be 150 travel at 51mm offset which is what comes on the stock bike. I always thought you wanted less offset when running such a slack head tube and 27.5 wheels. I have a DVO Sapphire 34mm stanchion 44mm offset fork which I think is reduced to 140 but I will figure out how to remove the travel limiter in it. Can I run this fork or should I be looking for something different. I have a Fox 34 Factory and Pike Ultimate I can swap over but both will need travel changes as both were on Evil Followings and set to 130mm.

What diameter rear brake is the bike set up for without spacers?

Thank you

Update. Also have 27.5 Cane Creek Helm Air mk1 44mm offset and a Fox 36 2021 Fit4 damper 27.5+ fork also available.

Posted: Mar 9, 2022 at 21:24 Quote
native 160 mm rear brake rotor size without adaptor. I run 180 mm with adaptor.

Posted: Mar 10, 2022 at 6:24 Quote
The few mm of offset is not a game changer. I had that bike with a 44mm offset 140 fork, now have a 291 with a 51mm offset 160 fork and I don't sit around agonizing over the offset, lemme tell you haha. I don't think chromag does their bikes with short offset forks either. Don't get me wrong, I would probably say I prefer the shorter offset fork, but wouldn't make my life complicated for it.

The MC feels kinda slack for about a week, then just feels normal and left me wondering how I ever rode bikes with 68 degree head angles and thought it was cool, haha. Even my raked out 291 feels kinda normal now, but so much more stable than any hardtail I've had.

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.012025
Mobile Version of Website