RSD Middlechild & RS-291 - Builds & Chat

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
RSD Middlechild & RS-291 - Builds & Chat
Author Message
Posted: Mar 12, 2022 at 9:22 Quote
jesse-effing-edwards wrote:
The few mm of offset is not a game changer. I had that bike with a 44mm offset 140 fork, now have a 291 with a 51mm offset 160 fork and I don't sit around agonizing over the offset, lemme tell you haha.

I was really curious and rather worried because Mr Hardtail Party on YouTube always wails about his offset. The Suntour Zeron fork I picked up for a song is 51mm and this will be the longest, slackest bike I've ever ridden. I guess it will feel weird regardless

The steel sled I ordered from Marino (just at the end of last year's RSD drought) is basically a middle child built for 29" wheels, sized between an L and XL (485 reach, 1248 wheelbase 64.5ha 74sta). I still need to climb stuff and work between ungroomed tech. Then again the fork is 150mm when I designed it for 130-140. Very glad swapping out spring lengths only takes like 15 minutes.

1 more month left. Very curious what my Frankenstein('s monster) will do

Posted: Mar 12, 2022 at 12:29 Quote
GorgesIthacan wrote:
jesse-effing-edwards wrote:
The few mm of offset is not a game changer. I had that bike with a 44mm offset 140 fork, now have a 291 with a 51mm offset 160 fork and I don't sit around agonizing over the offset, lemme tell you haha.

I was really curious and rather worried because Mr Hardtail Party on YouTube always wails about his offset. The Suntour Zeron fork I picked up for a song is 51mm and this will be the longest, slackest bike I've ever ridden. I guess it will feel weird regardless

The steel sled I ordered from Marino (just at the end of last year's RSD drought) is basically a middle child built for 29" wheels, sized between an L and XL (485 reach, 1248 wheelbase 64.5ha 74sta). I still need to climb stuff and work between ungroomed tech. Then again the fork is 150mm when I designed it for 130-140. Very glad swapping out spring lengths only takes like 15 minutes.

1 more month left. Very curious what my Frankenstein('s monster) will do

He also got the geometry wrong on his dream ti frame so….

Posted: Mar 13, 2022 at 20:47 Quote
GorgesIthacan wrote:
jesse-effing-edwards wrote:
The few mm of offset is not a game changer. I had that bike with a 44mm offset 140 fork, now have a 291 with a 51mm offset 160 fork and I don't sit around agonizing over the offset, lemme tell you haha.

I was really curious and rather worried because Mr Hardtail Party on YouTube always wails about his offset. The Suntour Zeron fork I picked up for a song is 51mm and this will be the longest, slackest bike I've ever ridden. I guess it will feel weird regardless

The steel sled I ordered from Marino (just at the end of last year's RSD drought) is basically a middle child built for 29" wheels, sized between an L and XL (485 reach, 1248 wheelbase 64.5ha 74sta). I still need to climb stuff and work between ungroomed tech. Then again the fork is 150mm when I designed it for 130-140. Very glad swapping out spring lengths only takes like 15 minutes.

1 more month left. Very curious what my Frankenstein('s monster) will do

I like Mr Party, seems like a great guy, but I'm not Im nearly as sensitive to a few of offset as he is. I mean, you can feel it, but it's like the difference between 780mm bars and 800mm bars or a 10mm shorter stem. Not a huge deal if you ask

Posted: Mar 13, 2022 at 22:37 Quote
I like the geezer though he's not pushing these typa hardcore hts anywhere near the limits

Posted: Mar 14, 2022 at 11:17 Quote
TrickyT wrote:
I like the geezer though he's not pushing these typa hardcore hts anywhere near the limits

What's a geezer to you, 36? hahahah. It's true, his videos don't seem to really show him rolling down big lines, but I haven't watched that many. I save anything kinda scary for the full squish, personally, so can't judge! I think he's a pretty great resource as very few people talk about hardtails like bikes as opposed to be secondary novelty bikes where people always insert the hilarious phrase "climbs like a hardtail!" woka woka!

Posted: Mar 14, 2022 at 19:41 Quote
True a great resource and no not a traditional type geezer geeze kinda bloke lol

Ime hts are better for me.

Posted: Apr 2, 2022 at 21:51 Quote
I appreciate Hardtail Party input and was stoked to hear him stoked on RSD. I bought my MC steel about two years ago. It came built as a 29”. I haven’t made any changes to it as I was running RF Turbine equipment on my YT. It was my first foray into 29” and I wanted something to challenge me with line choice and not just a plow and go mindset. As well as something to relate to as my boys learn to ride. How pump, press into the lip of a jump etc.

It’s made me a believer. So for those who have had both the MC and 291, my MC was part of a recall, but it hasn’t ever developed the reported issue. So I haven’t cut the frame and waited for the new. I have asked Alex if I could upgrade to the 291 and got an affirmative. I will have a fs 140 29” bike soon and then plan to swap frames. Should I go with the same MC or upgrade.

I ride single track with a few trips to the bike each year. Like to progress in my jumping and going fast down hill. After hearing HT Party’s review of the prototype of the 291, I thought to just stick with my MC, but a recent review of the production 291 has me thinking again. I have a 140 Pike, and I am not sure if I can increase travel to 150 or not. But a new fork is likely out of the picture for now.

Thanks for the insight.

Posted: Apr 3, 2022 at 5:40 Quote
steveperry wrote:
I appreciate Hardtail Party input and was stoked to hear him stoked on RSD. I bought my MC steel about two years ago. It came built as a 29”. I haven’t made any changes to it as I was running RF Turbine equipment on my YT. It was my first foray into 29” and I wanted something to challenge me with line choice and not just a plow and go mindset. As well as something to relate to as my boys learn to ride. How pump, press into the lip of a jump etc.

It’s made me a believer. So for those who have had both the MC and 291, my MC was part of a recall, but it hasn’t ever developed the reported issue. So I haven’t cut the frame and waited for the new. I have asked Alex if I could upgrade to the 291 and got an affirmative. I will have a fs 140 29” bike soon and then plan to swap frames. Should I go with the same MC or upgrade.

I ride single track with a few trips to the bike each year. Like to progress in my jumping and going fast down hill. After hearing HT Party’s review of the prototype of the 291, I thought to just stick with my MC, but a recent review of the production 291 has me thinking again. I have a 140 Pike, and I am not sure if I can increase travel to 150 or not. But a new fork is likely out of the picture for now.

Thanks for the insight.

You can increase travel of your Pike, it just needs a longer air shaft. It’s a easy job any shop could do if you’re not up to doing it yourself. Plenty of YouTube videos will show you how to do it, it’s really not bad. You need the correct air shaft kit, the parts to do a lower leg service and the grease and oil.

Posted: Apr 4, 2022 at 7:24 Quote
If you want wagon wheels go 291 for sure. The BB height will be quite a bit lower, which feels way better. May wanna check a geo chart for that frame with a 140 as it might get a bit too low, but probably not. I have a 160 on mine and it goes down super well. So stable at speed. Makes the MC feel like a BMX, ha, but maybe that's what you prefer.

Posted: May 22, 2022 at 5:42 Quote
Got a few rides on the new frame now, and I am loving it. Frame geometry feels great, love the short chain stays. I would like to do a few more upgrades eventually, but for now, parts swapped over from my Norco work just fine. Still getting used to the slacker fork and having to ride with more weight on the front end, but this frame rips!

Posted: Jun 8, 2022 at 9:18 Quote
So I’ve been riding an XL Vitus Sentier for the past three years and love it, but I’m looking to build up a new hard tail. Thus far i love everything about the Middlechild. I’m def. Partial to the 27.5 setup and am now just trying to figure out the last couple details before i purchase. I’m a big guy, about 240lb, and 6’ 4”, I’d like to go with the steel frame option, but not sure if the stiffness of the aluminum would be better suited for me. Also, my bike currently is an XL (which probably should be called a large since it has a 471mm reach) but i’ve always felt like I’m hunched too far over, and can’t tell if this is from too low a stack height or too long of a reach. Would i be better suited for a large or XL. Any assistance would be appreciated. Love all the builds on here.
On a side note, i currently have on my bike renthal fat bars with a 25mm rise, and am probably going to be buying 40mm rise bars soon to see how that affects the feel of the bike. Thanks

Posted: Jun 8, 2022 at 10:41 Quote
Bearcl4w wrote:
So I’ve been riding an XL Vitus Sentier for the past three years and love it, but I’m looking to build up a new hard tail. Thus far i love everything about the Middlechild. I’m def. Partial to the 27.5 setup and am now just trying to figure out the last couple details before i purchase. I’m a big guy, about 240lb, and 6’ 4”, I’d like to go with the steel frame option, but not sure if the stiffness of the aluminum would be better suited for me. Also, my bike currently is an XL (which probably should be called a large since it has a 471mm reach) but i’ve always felt like I’m hunched too far over, and can’t tell if this is from too low a stack height or too long of a reach. Would i be better suited for a large or XL. Any assistance would be appreciated. Love all the builds on here.
On a side note, i currently have on my bike renthal fat bars with a 25mm rise, and am probably going to be buying 40mm rise bars soon to see how that affects the feel of the bike. Thanks

You're definitely an XL. I'm 6' and my old MC never felt big except when in the dirt jumps (it's not a dirt jumper, though). The steel feels great and RSD builds'em tough so don't fret it. I'd stick with steel as it feels way nicer. I'm on a 291 now with 480ish reach and it doesn't even feel bike now, haha

Posted: Jun 14, 2022 at 15:14 Quote
This is a great thread, so much great info! I'm hoping you can help me make a final decision.

I'm planning to pick up an RSD frame and build it up from scratch. I love the sound of the MC but was thinking I would be going with 29" so was leaning towards the 291 with a 150 mm fork. However, my local trails are mostly flowy or old school rooty single track with not too many long descents or anything crazy technical. Average ride is probably in the 15-30 km range (1.5 - 2.5 hrs), and not really planning for anything longer than that anytime soon (ie no bike packing). Would the 291 be too much bike and/or too much to pedal for those types of rides (300-600 m climbing per ride)?

On the flip side, I take a few trips to lift serve parks a year, and anytime I can head somewhere with longer, techy descents, I'll go for it. It sounds like the MC with 27.5 is more fun and plenty capable. Would build that with a 140 mm fork.

I'm coming from a big 5" travel dual suspension Enduro bike (RM altitude), but want the simplicity of the HT, along with challenging myself to develop proper skills rather than plowing over everything. This would definitely be my first modern geometry hard tail, though I have a fully rigid fat bike that I've ridden on many things I probably have no business on (and is a blast)

Final consideration - I love the 291 obsidian paint/finish (with the holographic decals).

Anything to help me decide on the frame and the wheel size? Anything specifically to consider based on your first hand experiences?

Posted: Jun 15, 2022 at 11:23 Quote
For me the 291 is the way to go if you want wagon wheels and an RSD Bike. Better better bottom bracket high if you ask me, which is rather key. I like the longer stance too as it's a lot more stable over rough stuff and at speed than I found the MC. I have a 160 on the front, but a 150 would have it probably climb that much better, but I don't personally have issue with the way it climbs with a longer fork as I dont' have tonnes of tight switchbacks up and I'll take all the squish and slack I can get on the downs haha. The MC is probably a better bike if your trails are tighter and smoother, but if you have some rougher faster downs the 291 is better in my optinion. If you're used to riding a more agressive fullsus, I'd again pick the 291.

Posted: Jun 16, 2022 at 6:11 Quote
jesse-effing-edwards wrote:
For me the 291 is the way to go if you want wagon wheels and an RSD Bike. Better better bottom bracket high if you ask me, which is rather key. I like the longer stance too as it's a lot more stable over rough stuff and at speed than I found the MC. I have a 160 on the front, but a 150 would have it probably climb that much better, but I don't personally have issue with the way it climbs with a longer fork as I dont' have tonnes of tight switchbacks up and I'll take all the squish and slack I can get on the downs haha. The MC is probably a better bike if your trails are tighter and smoother, but if you have some rougher faster downs the 291 is better in my optinion. If you're used to riding a more agressive fullsus, I'd again pick the 291.

Thank you! That's the way i was leaning, so I think I'll pull the trigger. This will be my first custom build, so i'm pretty stoked! (though i'll be away for most of the summer, so it might take months to get things built up)


 
Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.012684
Mobile Version of Website