Major Brand Discontinuing DH Bike Distribution in US for 2019

PB Forum :: Downhill
Major Brand Discontinuing DH Bike Distribution in US for 2019
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Oct 20, 2018 at 19:20 Quote
I was at my local bike park talking with some of the staff and local pros regarding DH Bike recommendations as I currently own a trail bike and I am interested in getting a dedicated DH bike for next season. While discussing brands someone mentioned that Giant has discontinued distribution of the Glory for 2019. Has anyone else heard this? This bike was only on my radar peripherally as my research seemed to indicate while solid bike, the design has been largely neglected from an update perspective for some time now.

I can’t help but notice that with the exception of direct to consumer brands, there has been more hesitation from some of the better known brands in updating their DH options. I realize that DH bikes are very much the formula 1 car of the mtb world serving more as a platform for R&D and brand visibility than a direct profit stream, but I can’t help but notice a trend towards lengthier spans between frame updates from some of the bigger brands since the transition from 26” wheels to 27.5” wheels.

I feel there are a number of reasons for this including a period of technological boom in the late 2000’s and early 2010’s which forced brands to pump out updates more rapidly to keep up. Since 2014/2015 I might argue that there has been a bit of a plateau interrupted only recently by the coming-of-age of the 29er in the DH discipline. However, I would be remiss if I didn’t mention the tired trope of the surge in “enduro” DH capable options which seem to be experiencing the greatest growth and market focus— and rightfully so from a marketing perspective. If Giant is discontinuing the Glory in the US market is this an early indicator of a major transition in the mountain bike market away from DH as the capability of enduro bikes increases or simply one brand continuing what has been a trend towards less focus on their DH mtb offerings?

Disclaimer: I offer only opinion here based on glancing at some mtb bike manufacturer websites, looking over bike release dates, and chairlift talk.

Bonus points to anyone who could provide characteristics in handling and personality between the demo, V10, and session as these are the front runners in my current quest for a DH Bike.

O+
Posted: Oct 21, 2018 at 9:25 Quote
Shop was wrong. 2019 glory is already available in Canada anyways.

Posted: Oct 21, 2018 at 15:23 Quote
ThunderChunk wrote:

Did I stutter or has all of the “ThunderChunk” affected your neural synapses thereby rendering your reading comprehension poor? I specifically mentioned US distribution, if you look at their website it is available in Canada. I am not referring to Canada in the post above in any way shape or form. As such please defend your knee jerk assertion that what I stated was wrong.

Posted: Oct 21, 2018 at 16:33 Quote
Glory isn't on the Giant site and the Demo isn't on Specialized either.

Posted: Oct 21, 2018 at 16:39 Quote
yzedf wrote:
Glory isn't on the Giant site and the Demo isn't on Specialized either.

Regarding the demo, I noticed this too, but it isn’t unique to the US market, rather universally unavailable in lieu of what we can only hope is an impending release. Conversely, the Giant Glory is available to other markets, but not the US. If it helps to convince the masses, I heard from a reliable source that the park couldn’t order new rental DH bikes from Giant because of this.

O+
Posted: Oct 21, 2018 at 19:38 Quote
Shartriloquist wrote:
ThunderChunk wrote:

Did I stutter or has all of the “ThunderChunk” affected your neural synapses thereby rendering your reading comprehension poor? I specifically mentioned US distribution, if you look at their website it is available in Canada. I am not referring to Canada in the post above in any way shape or form. As such please defend your knee jerk assertion that what I stated was wrong.

Haha calm down, no need to get so worked up. You must be a real pleasure to hang out with. Have a good day Smile

Posted: Oct 21, 2018 at 19:49 Quote
Blame Trump, everyone else does.
Thanks for the info. Gaint wasn't on my radar though.

Posted: Oct 21, 2018 at 20:46 Quote
Shartriloquist wrote:
Shartriloquist wrote:
. While discussing brands someone mentioned that Giant has discontinued distribution of the Glory for 2019.
Wow who's having the knee jerk response and poor reading comprehension? No need to get so triggered and be a jerk. You just said distribution, in general. You didn't mention USA until later, as an aside. lol

Posted: Oct 22, 2018 at 16:38 Quote
mtbikeaddict wrote:
Shartriloquist wrote:
Shartriloquist wrote:
. While discussing brands someone mentioned that Giant has discontinued distribution of the Glory for 2019.
Wow who's having the knee jerk response and poor reading comprehension? No need to get so triggered and be a jerk. You just said distribution, in general. You didn't mention USA until later, as an aside. lol

Thick skin ladies and gents, thick skin. And I hardly consider USA distribution an aside when it’s clearly stated in the title lol or did you not comprehend that part Wink

Posted: Oct 22, 2018 at 22:06 Quote
Shartriloquist wrote:
mtbikeaddict wrote:
Shartriloquist wrote:
Shartriloquist wrote:

Thick skin ladies and gents, thick skin. And I hardly consider USA distribution an aside when it’s clearly stated in the title lol or did you not comprehend that part Wink
lol Redface Facepalm I completely missed that title part... Touché Big Grin

Posted: Aug 1, 2020 at 12:27 Quote
Dang. thats a shame, the glory was a pretty sick dh. Giant has been making some weird choices lately. like giving the reign 29 140mm of rear travel :/ I hope the glory comes back to the us market

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.020279
Mobile Version of Website