Cracked GT Fury Pro Frame :(

PB Forum :: GT
Cracked GT Fury Pro Frame :(
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Oct 23, 2018 at 9:50 Quote
Hey all. I have cracked my frame up at the top of the top tube behind the headtube and inbetween the top and downtube on my 2017 GT Fury Pro. I tried for a warranty claim but have been rejected as they have said it's due to the bike being rode too hard or a big crash or hard landing. Going back over all my riding before i noticed the crack, there to the best of my knowledge has not been anything out of the norm. Now I am putting this down to either bad design on GT's part or just all out weak frames!

Has anyone else suffered this problem with there GT? It would be good to hear from anyone or all if you've had similar problems. As I am not letting this one lie. The bike was less than a year old when this happened and it's safe to say I am very disappointed with GT DH bikes!

Posted: Dec 8, 2018 at 6:34 Quote
Damn. Sorry. Before we can lay blame to GT - which from everything I see and follow - doesn’t have a history of these breaking at all.

Did you have a bad front wheel crash or hit that - in wrong circumstances - have cause this? Just asking.

Posted: Dec 8, 2018 at 13:17 Quote
kgbdhbiker wrote:
Damn. Sorry. Before we can lay blame to GT - which from everything I see and follow - doesn’t have a history of these breaking at all.

Did you have a bad front wheel crash or hit that - in wrong circumstances - have cause this? Just asking.

Totally understandable to ask these questions. GT didn't bother to ask me anything. Just make there minds up themselves. But no I hadn't had any front end hits or big crashes. I have had the usual falls that you would expect from this sport but nothing to damage a frame. The annoying thing is I've got friends with cheaper older bikes that have had bigger falls. Landing etc and there bikes are fine. Some buckled wheels and the usual stuff but solid frames. No cracks. Nothing.

Posted: Aug 23, 2019 at 8:50 Quote
Sorry to hear about your experience with GT.

It will me think twice now before considering any GT bike

Posted: Mar 17, 2020 at 15:16 Quote
ehfour wrote:

Only a complete gimp would say such things

All manufacturers suffer some issues
If anything it would be the factory that should warranty check it in person

Plus it is a DH mtb built for use and such mtb'ing ventures sometimes leads to tough abuse

Posted: Mar 17, 2020 at 15:28 Quote
You could have a material test done to check for proper weld temperature and heat treatment. This could establish whether it was a manufacturing error ... but could cost more than a replacement frame.

Does GT offer a no-fault discount replacement ("crash replacement")? These are usually around half price. Not what you want to hear, I know, but better than nothing and it shouldn't be terribly expensive on just the front triangle.

Posted: Mar 17, 2020 at 15:49 Quote
titaniumtit wrote:
ehfour wrote:

Only a complete gimp would say such things

All manufacturers suffer some issues
If anything it would be the factory that should warranty check it in person

Plus it is a DH mtb built for use and such mtb'ing ventures sometimes leads to tough abuse

Now before we go down the path of name calling here.... GT should have covered this in warranty- hence my comment about not considering G, please read before you resort to name calling

Other well know brands, SC, Transition, Specialized, Norco have warrantied bike frames for similar types of frame issues for myself and other riders I know

Posted: Mar 17, 2020 at 15:59 Quote
ehfour wrote:
GT should have covered this in warranty

Maybe, maybe not. We don't know the full story, but that's not my question.

Imagine a situation is not a good warranty candidate - nasty crash or something like that. How would you (and everyone else) feel if GT offered a highly discounted imperfect replacement item? Functionally fine, but maybe a paint blem, an unpainted frame, a lightly used demo frame, etc. Is this "a fair compromise to both parties" or is it "sleazy / cheap"? Should warranty be "all or nothing", even if this means it's "nothing" more frequently than if there were the option for an imperfect frame?

Posted: Mar 17, 2020 at 16:00 Quote
Thing is though is you neither me know full facts of GT having or having not actually checked the frame in the flesh

If not I'd be asking why the heck not and kicking up a fuss

If so then there must be good reason
Read (all brands have failures) yes it is mainly how they deal with them that counts but it's important to realise that DH bikes take loadsa punishment

Anyway I'm one new owner of a DH GT and happy am I!

My 1st proper fully was a GT and that thing never cracked on me having seen some fairly full on crazed looney toons times

Posted: Mar 17, 2020 at 16:10 Quote
R-M-R wrote:
ehfour wrote:
GT should have covered this in warranty

Maybe, maybe not. We don't know the full story, but that's not my question.

Imagine a situation is not a good warranty candidate - nasty crash or something like that. How would you (and everyone else) feel if GT offered a highly discounted imperfect replacement item? Functionally fine, but maybe a paint blem, an unpainted frame, a lightly used demo frame, etc. Is this "a fair compromise to both parties" or is it "sleazy / cheap"? Should warranty be "all or nothing", even if this means it's "nothing" more frequently than if there were the option for an imperfect frame?

Agreed we dont know all the facts, but in times like this, its my opinion that a company should warranty the frame for the customer. It shows the value and commitment to their customers...it doesn't make me a GIMP

For sure there are other things that could cause it, but that doesn't take away from treating your customers right (Paying)

If any of the following are true, I redact my opinion
Bike second hand,
hard crash 10+ ft (huck to flat or head on to a tree)- Idk how you would prove or disprove this

@RMR: I dont think what you're saying is unreasonable

Posted: Mar 17, 2020 at 16:38 Quote
A manufacturer can't prove those things and I'm certainly not the one who called you a gimp! I understand your point and I usually think over-and-above customer service pays off.

A manufacturer can know some things:

• The strength to which they designed the bike.
• The strength to which the bike was tested in laboratory environments.
• The failure rate of existing bikes.

If the designed and tested strengths are appropriate and the failure rate isn't unusual (i.e. probably no manufacturing defects or unknown design flaws), then a failure that looks like it came from an overload probably did come from an overload. In this case, the failure along multiple welds suggests overload - or a serious manufacturing defect, but we have to assume they would've offered a replacement if this was suspected.

They can't be absolutely certain, but they probably believe their assessment is highly likely to be accurate. Then they have to make a decision: to warranty or not to warranty.

Companies with generous warranty approvals build that into the MSRP. It's not free. If GT sold the frame at a price that didn't include a buffer for a generous policy, then the buyers already reaped the benefit of that at the moment of purchase. A company like Pivot or Yeti may be more generous, which they can afford to be, given their prices and their desire to maintain a premium brand image.

If we assume GT budgets for, and charges according to, a tight warranty policy, they have to base their decisions on the merits of the claims and the estimated value of goodwill that may come from being generous.

So ... any thoughts on the questions in my last post? They're not directly related to this thread, just tangentially related and we're already on the subject of warranty.

Posted: Aug 1, 2020 at 6:46 Quote
What was the outcome with this? I just noticed my 2016 fury frame has just developed a crack in the paint in the same place at the top of the top tube/head tube. Also notice the same cracking on a fury for sale on eBay. I’m pretty sure it’s the frame as that type of cracking in the paint is from movement underneath and I’m confident mine hasn’t been abused.

Posted: Aug 4, 2020 at 17:04 Quote
I know this thread is kind of old at this point but I wanted to give my perspective:

For reference, I am a mechanical engineering student who builds race cars. My experience includes design and FEA of tube chassis, TIG welding steel and aluminum tubing, and heat treatment of metals post welding.

From the pictures shown in this thread, if in fact the crack penetrates the aluminum below the powder coating, with 99% it is the fault of the manufacturing of the frame. Here's the science behind why:

When welding two components together, the torch heats the area between the two pieces of metal causing the surface to melt as well as the metal underneath. Filler metal is added to provide a stronger weld and reduce undercut. After welding, the immediate weld bead is effectively heat treated. This metal has been heated beyond it's melting point and then rapidly cooled. For steel, this metal is stronger than the base material as a result of this process. For aluminum this is also the case but to a lesser degree. If we consider that as we get further from the weld bead, the temperature while welding was lower, some of the surface metal will have also been affected by this process. This metal is called the heat affected zone and has a weakened structure due to the partial heating and cooling of the micro-structure of the metal.

This means that the weakest material is just outside of the weld. If the weld was to crack it would indicate a couple of things: The weld was too hot, too cold, or contaminated. This should be covered by the manufacturer as a manufacturing fault. Please spread the word!

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.007164
Mobile Version of Website