Fat bikes are a thing I guess.

PB Forum :: Fat Bikes
Fat bikes are a thing I guess.
Previous Page |
Posted: Oct 25, 2018 at 17:12 Quote
Still have yet to ride a fat bike. What are your opinions on fat bikes?

Posted: Oct 25, 2018 at 17:21 Quote
I like em for what they are, they are kinda fun to ride. I have one. Use it all winter, and on the shoulder seasons when I don't want to take my good bike out yet.

Posted: Oct 25, 2018 at 17:25 Quote
I only ride them when there is no other option! When that time comes, it's better than not riding I guess.

Posted: Oct 25, 2018 at 19:09 Quote
I owned a 26+ Surly once- was alright I guess until one realises they feel weird for thrashing through exposed roots and rocks & to play around on tyre pressure a lot.

Yeah be prepared to get all anal bout tyre pressure to at least 0.5 psi

Posted: Oct 25, 2018 at 19:37 Quote
I have one, only ride it in the winter or when it’s a swamp. I couldn’t have one as my primary bike, to cumbersome to ride around all the time. I feel as if I’m seeing more of them on the trails though.

Posted: Oct 26, 2018 at 3:35 Quote
Ridden one in a car park, felt pretty normal but I’d love to try one on the trails

Posted: Oct 26, 2018 at 7:11 Quote
I just got my first Fat Bike a week ago. I picked up a 2019 Farley 5. Live in Wisconsin so figured it was a good investment. I could of went the route of another wheelset and some studded tires for Winter, but probably would of been approaching $1,000 anyway so just decided to add a bike.

Posted: Oct 26, 2018 at 7:29 Quote
I've had one for a few years now. Its about the same as everyone says, it lives in my shed, but when my real bike is down for repairs or when the snow starts flying is when it comes out. Its alot of work prior to riding(snowshoe packing) if its a heavy snow season unless the local clubs have a snow dogg for grooming. Its cheaper than skiing

Posted: Oct 26, 2018 at 7:32 Quote
Fat Bike thread should not be above Downhill on first page.

Posted: Oct 26, 2018 at 17:41 Quote
Hahahaha! DuelingBanjos! So true! And to funny! Hahaha! I also have a DH bike, and an Enduro bike as well as a cross bike. So lots of options to ride. But in the winter, here in Ontario they are the only way to go. So I like and enjoy my fat bike in the winter!

Posted: Oct 28, 2018 at 7:44 Quote
Fat bike is excellent bike. My friend use this bike Scott Big Jon. It's awesome

Posted: Oct 29, 2018 at 18:54 Quote
I was fat curious and thought maybe I'd buy one since I've seen some decent hardtails in the $1500 price range. I never tried one until I laid eyes on a used Salsa Bucksaw with DW link rear sus at my LBS for $1300. Bought it and rode it in various conditions, and was pleasantly surprised how much traction it had on the ups, and how fun and stable it was coming down trails. Without groomed / packed trails it is not easy in deep snow, but on a frozen lake and light 1-3" snow on trails it is a ton of fun and keeps my legs in shape between snowboarding trips.

I did have to size down the frame due to the balloon wheels and run a 70mm stem, but I think it makes it easier to throw it around anyway. It will never be my primary bike but gets more use than my DH rig (unfortunately).

Posted: Oct 30, 2018 at 17:14 Quote
Like mine when it is needed. It only comes out when the trails call for it (packed snow and powder during winter) and on snow days commuting to work.

Have it studded all the time so only gets ridden on snow and ice.

Aaron

Posted: Oct 30, 2018 at 20:15 Quote
Super fun on snow covered singletrack. Transforms trails I have ridden to death when dry. I'm riding a rigid fat bike for simplicity and see no reason for suspension on snow covered trails. Also great to be out riding in winter but like everyone else, it WILL NOT replace my high end full squish for dry trail riding.

Posted: Oct 31, 2018 at 6:49 Quote
I use a 29+ (3") for roaming around the Jeep trails in NV where a normal tire would get hung up in the chunk.

Previous Page |

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.005240
Mobile Version of Website