Fat bikes are a thing I guess.

PB Forum :: Fat Bikes
Fat bikes are a thing I guess.
Posted: Sep 27, 2019 at 9:58 Quote
Gmoneyog1 wrote:
jeffw-13 wrote:
A couple years ago I lost my job and had to sell my good trail bike to cover some bills. I rode a full rigid Trek Farley with 26x4 Jumbo Jim's all summer and had a blast on it. Not great for going fast in the chunk but for fast smoother trails and rock crawling its a lot of fun once you get your tire pressures figured out, which took me all of one ride.

Bummer about selling your trail bike and losing your job, but your story does make me want to get one. Maybe in the near future...

Turned out for the best. I did a complete career change. Now making $11/hr more than I was. Replaced the old bike with a Yeti SB4.5c. Life is good.

Posted: Sep 27, 2019 at 11:43 Quote
Staktup wrote:
I was fat curious and thought maybe I'd buy one since I've seen some decent hardtails in the $1500 price range. I never tried one until I laid eyes on a used Salsa Bucksaw with DW link rear sus at my LBS for $1300. Bought it and rode it in various conditions, and was pleasantly surprised how much traction it had on the ups, and how fun and stable it was coming down trails. Without groomed / packed trails it is not easy in deep snow, but on a frozen lake and light 1-3" snow on trails it is a ton of fun and keeps my legs in shape between snowboarding trips.

I did have to size down the frame due to the balloon wheels and run a 70mm stem, but I think it makes it easier to throw it around anyway. It will never be my primary bike but gets more use than my DH rig (unfortunately).

Swapped to a medium frame and 50mm stem and it feels better. 3.8 &4" tires for winter, and 3" WTB Rangers for non-winter on 50mm wide Rabbit Holes.

Posted: Sep 27, 2019 at 13:35 Quote
jeffw-13 wrote:
Gmoneyog1 wrote:
jeffw-13 wrote:
A couple years ago I lost my job and had to sell my good trail bike to cover some bills. I rode a full rigid Trek Farley with 26x4 Jumbo Jim's all summer and had a blast on it. Not great for going fast in the chunk but for fast smoother trails and rock crawling its a lot of fun once you get your tire pressures figured out, which took me all of one ride.

Bummer about selling your trail bike and losing your job, but your story does make me want to get one. Maybe in the near future...

Turned out for the best. I did a complete career change. Now making $11/hr more than I was. Replaced the old bike with a Yeti SB4.5c. Life is good.

Sweet man! Happy for you!

Posted: Sep 27, 2019 at 14:13 Quote
Yes Jeff, nice!

I got a new SB130 myself, and my son graduated from his 24/26 bike to a 27.5 SB5. Yeti def. makes some killer trail bikes.

Posted: Sep 28, 2019 at 7:25 Quote
Shartriloquist wrote:
How insensitive, I believe they prefer to be referred to as "Voluptuous Bikes," "Husky Bikes," or "Shapely Bikes".

....The NHBRB (National Husky Bikes Relations Board) is going to have a field day with the titling of this forum.

ILMAO...Good one! Finally someone with some wit. Maybe no one else gets it?

Posted: Oct 6, 2019 at 6:45 Quote
I've got a Blizzard -10 and love it. Picked it up for a good deal on the forum here to try out and I'm glad I did. It's a blast running down loose trails like Capt Jack's. It's not a replacement for my full squish, it just fills a different role. Looking forward to trying it out this winter.

Posted: Oct 10, 2019 at 12:13 Quote
I have a 2015 Fatboy just replaced the rear hub to a HOPE! Awesome sauce, if like big tires and just crushing over things, but I do jump mine and tire psi is as only as geeky as you wanna be about it! I am now just now looking for an FS bike because I have started to get a little crazy on my FATBIKE so I think I need something with a squish

Posted: Oct 13, 2019 at 10:48 Quote
I have had a Salsa Bucksaw as my primary ride for two seasons now. I have done everything on it including a downhill race here at our local bike park Silver Mountain. Some of the most fun I have had on two wheels.

Posted: Nov 2, 2019 at 21:13 Quote
Ride a fat bike like a cool adventure in the trail and i really love it. Big Grin

Posted: Nov 6, 2019 at 14:04 Quote
Gmoneyog1 wrote:
Still have yet to ride a fat bike. What are your opinions on fat bikes?

I have been taking my Rocky mountain Blizzard 50 on some single track and jeep trails.... it f*cking shreds. A fat bike is a must have in my collection from here on out. Best 1 quiver option in my opinion...
Sand,dirt,rocks,gravel, long days in the saddle.

Posted: Nov 22, 2019 at 5:41 Quote
Love mine, use it on the frozen lakes around me. Also a good dirt road machine whe. Snow pack takes over. Not fast bikes but if you love riding and the temperature doesn't scare you away - they're a blast.

Posted: Nov 28, 2019 at 8:28 Quote
guys, i did it. i just got myself a 2016 Norco Sasquatch Big Grin
got a sweet deal on a 100km ridden bike, with an upgraded rear cassette (10-42), a spare front wheel (incl disc) and a spare set of Maxxis Mammoth (which I won't need but maybe someone else does), for 700 bucks i thought i'd just give it a go, with winter coming up.
Have yet to try it out but I'm excited. I want to make it the weapon of choice for walking the dogs in the morning in all weathers and all year long, get as much bike riding into my days as i can and on the weekends i'll still be riding the AM rig.

Posted: Nov 28, 2019 at 11:48 Quote
wowbagger wrote:
got a sweet deal on a 100km ridden bike, with an upgraded rear cassette (10-42), a spare front wheel (incl disc) and a spare set of Maxxis Mammoth (which I won't need but maybe someone else does), for 700 bucks i thought i'd just give it a go, with winter coming up.
Have yet to try it out but I'm excited. I want to make it the weapon of choice for walking the dogs in the morning in all weathers and all year long, get as much bike riding into my days as i can and on the weekends i'll still be riding the AM rig.

Sweet, enjoy! I think fatties are great for exercising slower dogs or dogs with less
slow twitch muscles/endurance- and kids for that matter who are slow on the trails.

Posted: Nov 28, 2019 at 12:41 Quote
Staktup wrote:
wowbagger wrote:

Sweet, enjoy! I think fatties are great for exercising slower dogs or dogs with less
slow twitch muscles/endurance- and kids for that matter who are slow on the trails.

Cheers!
Yeah Labs are prone to having problems with their joints so i don't want to put too much stress on them.

What's a good tire pressure to get started with? Is going tubeless worth it and if so how do you go about it?

Posted: Nov 30, 2019 at 10:25 Quote
There’s some decent videos on YouTube on setting up your larger tires tubeless. Going tubeless was worth it for me, but lots of opinions on this.

Air pressure depends on tire and conditions. My 45NRTH’s I’m usually around 4.5-5 psi for soft conditions, not much more for firmer conditions. It’s best to just start at a level, go down and up and find what works best. If I get to the 8psi range, it seems I do way to much spinning. Now 10psi is good with summer tires however, but way different conditions.

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.012041
Mobile Version of Website