Santa Cruz HT LT 2018 vs 2019

PB Forum :: Santa Cruz
Santa Cruz HT LT 2018 vs 2019
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Oct 26, 2018 at 14:05 Quote
Hello. Newbie here in the group. I am currently looking to purchase a Santa Cruz HTLT to replace my current bike which is a Trek Fuel EX 8. I am giving my current bike to my son, which means I will need a new one to replace it. I cannot make up my mind between the 2018 and 2019. The LBS has both in R build spec. 2018 is approximately $900 cheaper. Parts installed on both bikes are almost the same, so I am not sure if spending the extra $900 to get the 2019 is necessary. I ride less than 500 miles per year in the trail and maybe another 500 miles on the road using my RB and sometimes my MTB. I ride for leisure and fitness. No competition or time trial. Should I go for the cheaper build (201Cool or go for 2019? Should I stick with the R build or spend extra money for the S build? Thanks for the help.

Posted: Oct 26, 2018 at 22:10 Quote
Logically, save the cash. There is a video on the diffs. Not sure what but they aren'r aren't 900usd worth.

Posted: Oct 31, 2018 at 13:28 Quote
i just got a 2018 closeout R build.

the only differences 2019 vs 2018 ... would be NX eagle 12spd vs NX 11spd, sram dub cranks vs race face affect.

the 2018 came with the same SRAM hubs / wtb rim wheelset thats listed for 2019 build NOT the novatec / wtb .

Posted: Nov 1, 2018 at 7:39 Quote
Definitely save the cash. NX 11 speed comes with XD driver, so if you ever want to upgrade to eagle in the future you'll just need to swap derailleur, cassette, chain and chainring. Personally, I found the old 11-speed derailleurs to be less prone to bending so I prefer them. (I own a 2018 s-build HTLT).
I also recommend getting the volume spacers for the rear shock (~40$ from Fox). Unless you're getting an XXL, you'll also need a 'side loading' bottle cage, and a slightly shorter water bottle.

Finally, if you're riding bike parks or long downhills often, you may want to save some cash to upgrade the Guide R brakes. They are totally fine for trail use, but on repeated long bike park descents in summer they are prone to get hot and fade. I got Code RSCs for my HTLT and they are da bomb!

Posted: Nov 1, 2018 at 20:34 Quote
I have the Blue 2019 S build and the front rotor went from a 180 to a 203mm on all builds. The 2019 brakes on the S build are upgraded from sram guide r to the sram code r and the stopping power and longevity before fade has improved. stock dt swiss hubs and raceface arc wheels are pretty solid so far. There is also some built in frame protection in the inside chain stay that seemed to always take rock damage on the 2018 model. I like the colors from last year more though.

Posted: Nov 1, 2018 at 21:32 Quote
PochachongPochiching wrote:
Hello. Newbie here in the group. I am currently looking to purchase a Santa Cruz HTLT to replace my current bike which is a Trek Fuel EX 8. I am giving my current bike to my son, which means I will need a new one to replace it. I cannot make up my mind between the 2018 and 2019. The LBS has both in R build spec. 2018 is approximately $900 cheaper. Parts installed on both bikes are almost the same, so I am not sure if spending the extra $900 to get the 2019 is necessary. I ride less than 500 miles per year in the trail and maybe another 500 miles on the road using my RB and sometimes my MTB. I ride for leisure and fitness. No competition or time trial. Should I go for the cheaper build (201Cool or go for 2019? Should I stick with the R build or spend extra money for the S build? Thanks for the help.

Go for the S kit. Its worth it in the long run. We sell a lot of SC bikes. You'll be paying more to maintain and R kit drivetrain and brakes in the future than an S kit. Comes with much better fork, drivetrain, wheels/tires, dropper post, the list goes on.

Posted: Nov 1, 2018 at 23:05 Quote
I have never understood why Santa Cruz offer their high end frames with something like a Sram NX. That‘s like having a Ferrari with a 100hp motor.

Posted: Nov 2, 2018 at 10:13 Quote
niconj wrote:
I have never understood why Santa Cruz offer their high end frames with something like a Sram NX. That‘s like having a Ferrari with a 100hp motor.

I think it is closer to buying the base level car. They have the same chassis and engine and if you are inclined you can add upgrades as you go. Even though I have a SC cc frane with xo1, but before I had a high paying job, my first SC was a carbon C frame with gx. As things broke or I got more cash I put better stuff on and when I sold it, I had xo1 with more carbon bits.

Posted: Nov 2, 2018 at 14:52 Quote
Thank you all for taking the time to respond. Unfortunately, the 2018 build was sold. I found one at another bike shop, but the frame is XL which is too large for me. Looks like I am going to stick to a 2019 build.

Posted: Nov 2, 2018 at 21:22 Quote
Thank you all for taking the time to respond. Unfortunately, the 2018 build was sold. I found one at another bike shop, but the frame is XL which is too large for me. Looks like I am going to stick to a 2019 build.

No worries. How tall are you? Have you test ridden an LT on some single track yet?

Posted: Nov 13, 2018 at 13:25 Quote
nubbs wrote:

No worries. How tall are you? Have you test ridden an LT on some single track yet?

I'm 5'8". I will plan to go to Santa Cruz factory this week end and rent one for a day.

Posted: Dec 6, 2018 at 15:37 Quote
[Quote="PochachongPochiching"]
nubbs wrote:

I'm 5'8". I will plan to go to Santa Cruz factory this week end and rent one for a day.

You'll be good on the large. I'm 6'0" and was on a large 18, but just sold the frame and got an XL 19. Throwing all my old set up, but adding offset bushings to slacken out the head tube to 1 degree.

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2018. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.018173
Mobile Version of Website