2018 jeffsy cf headset

PB Forum :: YT Industries
2018 jeffsy cf headset
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Oct 28, 2018 at 5:33 Quote
Hi Guys,

So I pulled apart my headset as I wanted to give it a good clean and re-grease all the bearings yesterday.

Everything went well and put everything back together as it is, once everything was on I went for a little ride to make sure everything was fine only to find out there was a tiny knock coming from the fork area.

At first I thought it was the fork playing up, but upon closer inspection it was the top headset bearing which has a little bit of play. With stems and spacers off and just the fork sitting within the bearing on the top tube, giving it a little wiggle would show the bearing had movement within cups of the frame.

Now my question is, Is it still safe to ride this bike with a little bit of play in the headset?

Second question, To all of you guys who had replaced their headsets, which headsets did you go for? cane creek? chris king? hope? and which models are they as I'm finding hard and confusing to which one actually fits

I have emailed YT to see if I can get a replacement headset under warranty since it is only a 2 month old bike.

EDIT: PS: Does anyone know the crown race measurement for the fork??

Posted: Oct 30, 2018 at 6:56 Quote
I had a problem very similar to this on my 2017 Jeffsy 29 CFone.

No matter what I did, I couldn't get the headset to tighten on the bike. As soon as I started riding it, it came loose again.

In the end, I ended up replacing the headset. When I did, I found out that the crown race of the fork had been installed upside down. This prevented the stack from compressing completely and so stopped the headset bearings from being securely seated in their cups.

Replacing the headset was really complicated, because even though I bought the right diameters and sizes of (Cane Creek) headset, the bearing stack heights were wrong. In the end I went to an LBS who fixed it for me with the right size bearing and pressing ring to fit under the headset cover.

With integrated headsets, it shouldn't matter that the bearing sit quite loose in the cups, because they're chamfered and so when you compress the stack, it should centre them and hold them in place.

TLBig Grin R version - check that your crown race isn't installed upside down.

Question 1 - is it safe? If I had a loose headset that I couldn't tighten then I'd be happy to ride home on it, but I wouldn't be wanting to do something technical or big hits. You'll *probably* get away with it, but there's always the risk of introducing undamped forces to the frame, increasing the risk of fatigue (less common in carbon fibre) or failure.

Question 2 - which type? I don't think it matters much as long as it's a quality manufactured bearing of the right dimensions.

Posted: Oct 30, 2018 at 8:04 Quote
Hi, I just replaced my headset last week on my jeffsy 27 AL 2018 because my acros’s bottom bearing after just 6 months was done.
I went with the cane creek 40 and is incredibly awesome!
Chris king and hope are well known as well for their reliability so you won’t make a mistake.
Acros is rubbish...

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.007776
Mobile Version of Website