Love flat pedals, but...

• Previous Page
Posted: Nov 3, 2018 at 13:16 Quote
Hi all,

Just for context, was a clipless user for 10 years or so, current bike is a Bird Aeris AM9 enduro 29er (long wheelbase, 500mm reach at size L).

Decided to try flat pedals one or two months ago, Nukeproof Horizons Sam Hill edition with Shimano GR7 shoes.

Had lots of trouble at first with feet coming off in jumps and drops. Then ended up improving mid foot pedal, heels down thing, along with better weight distribution and learning to work with the bike Vs fighting it.
So, right now, have no problems with jumps, drops or corners or flow style trails in general. In fact, 1 month of flat pedals made me a much better rider in these conditions.

But, big but, I still struggle at high speed rough sections. I used to be the absolute king of charging through stuff in my group, but with flat pedals I slow down considerably on rock gardens or generally fast, rough sections. I'm speaking about proper enduro and DH tracks.

It seems no matter how hard I try to move rearwards to put weight in my feet they are still not loaded enough to stay put. Also, by then I start to have too little weight in the front end, causing traction and stability issues.

Have a race in 2 weeks so need to sort this out.
Anyone experiences the same? Any tips regarding suspension setup?
Mind my bikes very long geometry proposes a "weight forward" riding style. Can this be a source of the issues?

Thanks in advance

Posted: Nov 3, 2018 at 14:33 Quote
I use Shimano A530 pedals. Clip on one side, other side flat. I don’t know if you can adjust your suspension to make the bike ride any better with flats vs clipless.

Posted: Nov 3, 2018 at 16:59 Quote
those shoes are really bad. Get 510s. You wont have issues, heels down and planted in the rough. Its all about body position

Posted: Nov 3, 2018 at 17:18 Quote
aceface17 wrote:
those shoes are really bad. Get 510s. You wont have issues, heels down and planted in the rough. Its all about body position

Ditto, 5 tens will make a big difference, gripy as all hell...

Posted: Nov 3, 2018 at 17:24 Quote
5-10's are the best. It's almost like your shoe is glued to the pedal.

FL
Posted: Nov 3, 2018 at 20:51 Quote
vans or other good skate shoes will deliver similar grip for less. The main difference that I have found is that 510s are stiffer, and indestructible. You won't ever wear them out, unless you use them for other things.

Posted: Nov 3, 2018 at 23:07 Quote
jmartinbiking wrote:
vans or other good skate shoes will deliver similar grip for less. The main difference that I have found is that 510s are stiffer, and indestructible. You won't ever wear them out, unless you use them for other things.

Not..5 10's are much griper, unless Van's changed their compound of their soles.

O+
Posted: Nov 4, 2018 at 1:46 Quote
jmartinbiking wrote:

You're kidding right? Maybe they were indestructible in the past but since Adidas bought them the quality has been crap, have have some delamintaion and loose stitching. Go through a pair of 5.10s every season because the sole wears out.

Had enough and bought shimano gr9s this season and haven't looked back since, just as grippy as 5.10s imo and much better quality.

Posted: Nov 4, 2018 at 5:34 Quote
I bought the Shimano shoes, rode them once and sold them and went back to 5.10

Posted: Nov 4, 2018 at 5:38 Quote
I bought the Shimano shoes, rode them once and sold them and went back to 5.10

Posted: Nov 4, 2018 at 6:23 Quote
5.10. Grippy and stiff. On the narrow side. I'm using the Freerider Pro.

Posted: Nov 4, 2018 at 8:56 Quote
510s are undisputed the grippiest shoes on the market, however the price you pay is that they wear out quickly. I havent replced mine in about 3 years but they are very worn, holes in the bottom and pretry bagged. They still grip well so i run them

Posted: Nov 4, 2018 at 9:09 Quote
Surprised about the comments on the Shimanos GR7.
Kept reading good reviews on them

FL
Posted: Nov 4, 2018 at 12:41 Quote
If you are serious about making flats your pedals you should get some 5 10s. Your shoes are like ardent tires. They work but if you want grip get some 5 10 impacts they are the DHFs. Probably the three fastest pros on flats Hill, Fairclough, and Fearon all run five tens. It is no coincidence. The last uci race Gee Atherton won he switched to flats on race day because of the mud and “traded” a spectator his Shimanos for thier 5 10s. Gee is a heavily Shimano sponsored rider and had Shimano flat shoes but wanted maybe even needed the best to win

Posted: Nov 4, 2018 at 19:35 Quote
Don't use 5-10's for everyday walking like I did. The heels have holes in them now. In the future, I am only going to use them for riding.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.009881
Mobile Version of Website