Are Sram Guide R brakes crap?

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Are Sram Guide R brakes crap?
  • Previous Page
Posted: Nov 8, 2018 at 2:25 Quote
Do the issues out way the pros?

Posted: Nov 8, 2018 at 4:21 Quote
When you have the latest revision, there are - to my best knowledge - no real issues like the sticky lever for which it became "popular".

Posted: Nov 8, 2018 at 7:11 Quote
Facescab wrote:
Do the issues out way the pros?

With all the negativity about them I wasn't expecting much, but I just installed a new set and I'm really impressed with them. They have loads of stopping power.

O+
Posted: Nov 8, 2018 at 7:44 Quote
If you want to know more about SRAM brake models:

https://livetoplaysports.com/news-press/2018/07/sram-brake-models-explained/

If you want to know more detail about the difference between R (reach adjust) and RS (reach and Swinglink) SRAM brakes, read this:

https://livetoplaysports.com/news-press/2018/07/secret-better-brake-modulation-sram-swinglink/

Posted: Nov 8, 2018 at 8:58 Quote
They are solid brakes. No real issues. If you are buying aftermarket, you can typically get shimanos at a lower price point.

Posted: Nov 8, 2018 at 11:36 Quote
Cheers for the replies. They will come stock on a 2019 Trans Scout. I have the option to remove - sell and buy either XT 4 pots or Magura MT trail sport. In the past I have had: Elixers, Code R's, Shimano Deore, SLX, Zee and Hope V4's.

Posted: Nov 8, 2018 at 11:41 Quote
Both the XT and Magura options would be an upgrade over the guide r brakes.

For what its worth, I'm a big fan of the Guide/Code RSC brakes. Great modulation, lever feel and the contact point adjustment is awesome.

Posted: Nov 9, 2018 at 16:24 Quote
I have Guide Rs on my Commencal Meta. They don't feel nearly as grabby or powerful as the XT or Saint brakes I've tried but they have great modulation. I can slow or stop very smoothly without drama.
For my purposes, I would probably prefer a stronger brake with more initial bite, but if you like modulation the Guides are pretty good.

Posted: Nov 10, 2018 at 5:01 Quote
Falcon991 wrote:
I have Guide Rs on my Commencal Meta. They don't feel nearly as grabby or powerful as the XT or Saint brakes I've tried but they have great modulation. I can slow or stop very smoothly without drama.
For my purposes, I would probably prefer a stronger brake with more initial bite, but if you like modulation the Guides are pretty good.
Do you use them with the Centerline rotors? Changing them and the break pads should increase the power considerably.

Posted: Nov 10, 2018 at 11:13 Quote
edeltoaster wrote:
Falcon991 wrote:
Do you use them with the Centerline rotors? Changing them and the break pads should increase the power considerably.

If I keep the Guides I plan on running them with Sram sintered pads and a 203mm fromt rotor for the winter.

Posted: Nov 10, 2018 at 11:32 Quote
I've had issues with every brake I have ever ran. Avid Elixer and Code - Sticky pistons.
Shimano Zee - couldn't bleed rear brake and LBS struggled and took +20 attempts.
Shimano Deore m6000 - caliper failed.
Shimano SLX m7000 - leaky caliper ruined two sets of pads.
Hope V4 - Underwhelming power when compared to other brakes.

I have never tried Magura or Formula. I fully expect them to have their own quirks.

If I keep the Guides, I will have to pay £100 to buy a Rotor, sintered pads, adapter and bleed kit.

Or, I can sell the Guides for about £130 and buy XT 4 pots, Magura MT Trail or Formula Cura for about £300 with rotors etc. So the price of an upgrade isn't a great deal.

Magura would be my first choice out of pure curiosity, but their 'plastic' levers worry me because a lot of peeps say they feel cheap. I do like the idea of a two pot brake (Cura) with lots of power and easy, drag free set-up.

Posted: Nov 14, 2018 at 11:55 Quote
They work well enough given the price.
An unqualified technician will screw them up installing them though.

Posted: Nov 14, 2018 at 16:08 Quote
I think it depends on what and how you ride. If you like steep and tech, then maybe look elsewhere. Also factor in the maintenance they need. dot fluid WILL need replacing every few months where mineral oil can (and will) last years.

Posted: Nov 14, 2018 at 16:39 Quote
Surprised you found V4's to not feel powerful ... could it have been the type of pads you were using?

I currently run V4s and love them. Once set up right, they're set and forget.
Sintered Pads on 203/180 setup if that info is of any use.

Frame of reference, I've only used elixirs and the new Code R's in the past.

O+
Posted: Nov 14, 2018 at 21:35 Quote
dubod22 wrote:
I think it depends on what and how you ride. If you like steep and tech, then maybe look elsewhere. Also factor in the maintenance they need. dot fluid WILL need replacing every few months where mineral oil can (and will) last years.

Well, water gets into both systems at the same rate, so both mineral oil and DOT fluid systems should be flushed yearly. DOT fluid mixes with water, lowering the boiling point (why DOT fluids are rated with a wet and dry boiling point), but the water in mineral oil systems generally all gathers at the lowest point in the system (the caliper, which is also the hottest, leading to the same/worse fading issues as DOT fluid).

You are correct that an open bottle of DOT fluid should be replaced at least yearly, where an open container of mineral oil will not (as Mineral Oil doesn't absorb water from the atmosphere like DOT fluid)

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.011115
Mobile Version of Website