Air shock or coil shock ?

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Air shock or coil shock ?
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
O+
Posted: Nov 8, 2018 at 20:00 Quote
I have a rock shox monarch plus on my Intense Tracer, and Im thinking about switching to a Push elevensix coil shock. Im an average rider and would like to know what would be the advantage to switching and if its worth the $

Posted: Nov 8, 2018 at 21:06 Quote
You should definitely spend $1200+ on an experiment without a return policy.

O+
Posted: Nov 9, 2018 at 7:49 Quote
I would say if you want it and can afford the $ then go for it.

I have an 11.6 and it is amazing for sure but not the be all and end all part. I can say though, holy crap is it HEAVY compared to air shocks.

personally I would probably go for a different wheel set (weareone composites or CRD rims with a good high engagement hub) instead of the 11.6 if I were to spend the money now.

O+
Posted: Nov 9, 2018 at 11:55 Quote
I have switched from air to coil and would never go back. But I would not bother with the eleven six. Unless your a pro rider, you won't benefit from it.

I borrowed an eleven six and then bought a cane creek dB coil. Half the price and don't notice anything lower than the eleven six. In fact I would say it's easier to setup thanks to the great cane creek app

Posted: Nov 9, 2018 at 15:43 Quote
I would personally spend the money on a custom tune on your monarch plus, or even better a Vorsprung tractive upgrade.

Posted: Nov 10, 2018 at 13:36 Quote
11-6 is for top riders who ride rough natural terrain at Warp speed . Anything/one less and it's a waste of money.
Avarage Joe's (like us) will be more than happy with a cane creek, dvo, fox ect coil and even then if your not riding some genuinely rough terrain that makes you glad your not on a hardtail then it kind of pointless. For smoother general trials air is more than fine and can be better for pumping for speed.
Speaking from my experience the monarch plus is a cheap low end air shock designed for oem with little to no real fine tunablity or performance gains other than it doesn't fade to bad and looks the part. Took big hits okay but naff at everything else.
A fox, dvo cane creek ect do a much better job air or coil for much less and your unlikely to tell the difference between them and a 11_6 until you get proper quick as a rider.
I highly recommend the cane creek db inline coil. Lightest coil option, highly tunable, cheap for a coil, great performance and touch wood reliable.
Dvo topaz or fox x2 would be my pic for air.
I went from a monarch plus to the cc inline coil and was blown away MASSIVE improvement. Way better than I though it would be.

Posted: Nov 10, 2018 at 15:50 Quote
I’ve got a Cane Creek in-line coil. I don’t think much more is needed unless you’re racing or riding park on a regular basis.

For most people I think an eleven six would be overkill. However one of the cheaper coil shocks can be a great upgrade. It’s transformed my bike.

Posted: Nov 10, 2018 at 17:04 Quote
Have put a 2019 Fox dhx2 on my bike, have done 3 rides so far and definitely notice a difference between the coil and factory x2 I had

Posted: Nov 11, 2018 at 11:11 Quote
markg1150 wrote:
11-6 is for top riders who ride rough natural terrain at Warp speed . Anything/one less and it's a waste of money.

Well of you want to judge people by what they spend their money on then lets open up your books and see how you might pan out. Big Grin

I bought a used Gen2 11.6 and had it serviced and reconfigured for the cost of a DHX2. The custom tuning setup that comes with it might be worth more to some people too, but not so much for me. Have the Push coil fork conversion and was more than pleased with it. The rear shock didn’t cost me any/much more than the other options and I can swap between firmer Trail and softer Descend tune at a flip of the switch, so why not?

and kind of doubting there will be any issue selling it to somebody else if I decide to part with it. I always considered a heavy, expensive dropper post to be overkill ... until I started using one, lol. The main thing is though, don’t base your decision on what other people might think about it. Like any decision, put your head on straight, set your priorities, and execute action as you see fit.

O+
Posted: Nov 11, 2018 at 16:31 Quote
I picked up a used 2018 elevensix for 550, and just sent it to push to be set up for my bike. and thinking about getting their fork upgrade also

Posted: Nov 11, 2018 at 17:39 Quote
Everyone that put an 11.6 on a Tracer had nothing but good things to say about it. Not that you wouldn’t be pleased with any of the other options though. Congrats and let us know what you think after riding it some.

O+
Posted: Nov 13, 2018 at 17:16 Quote
TheUnknownMTBR wrote:
markg1150 wrote:

Well of you want to judge people by what they spend their money on then lets open up your books and see how you might pan out. Big Grin

I bought a used Gen2 11.6 and had it serviced and reconfigured for the cost of a DHX2. The custom tuning setup that comes with it might be worth more to some people too, but not so much for me. Have the Push coil fork conversion and was more than pleased with it. The rear shock didn’t cost me any/much more than the other options and I can swap between firmer Trail and softer Descend tune at a flip of the switch, so why not?

and kind of doubting there will be any issue selling it to somebody else if I decide to part with it. I always considered a heavy, expensive dropper post to be overkill ... until I started using one, lol. The main thing is though, don’t base your decision on what other people might think about it. Like any decision, put your head on straight, set your priorities, and execute action as you see fit.

O+
Posted: Nov 13, 2018 at 17:20 Quote
slomoto wrote:
TheUnknownMTBR wrote:
markg1150 wrote:

I also ordered the Push fork kit today, after talking with a few locals that have them. our local trails are very rocky and steep, looking forward to getting them on my bike

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.012451
Mobile Version of Website