Fox plus fork on non plus bike (Santa Cruz Tallboy3)

PB Forum :: 29ers
Fox plus fork on non plus bike (Santa Cruz Tallboy3)
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Nov 9, 2018 at 15:05 Quote
Hey
I received my Fox 34 Float Factory today which was meant to upgrade my Santa Cruz Tallboy. What I didnt know was that there is (or better said was) a specific 27.5+ Version of the fork, and so today when unboxing the fork I wondered why it was so wide..

- The 140mm fork as a smaller crown-to-axle length as my 130mm Fox 34 Performance, which I like. More travel, no change in geometry.
- It weights less than my old fork
- I dont mind the look of the wider casting and crown
- I will ride it with 29x2.3 tires

Does anybody see any downsides to running this fork in my non-plus bike? Are these forks less or more stiff than the "normal" version? I have no idea about all this "plus" stuff...

Thanks for your input and greetings from Germany!

Pics:
https://ibb.co/jsjTnq
https://ibb.co/jYionq

Posted: Nov 11, 2018 at 19:02 Quote
Generally, these are 29/27+ Forks with 110mm Boost spacing. Only downside I know of is when you have a regular spaced frame and you want to buy a new wheelset, they ain’t sold that way.

Posted: Nov 13, 2018 at 11:41 Quote
Heist30 wrote:
Generally, these are 29/27+ Forks with 110mm Boost spacing. Only downside I know of is when you have a regular spaced frame and you want to buy a new wheelset, they ain’t sold that way.

Yep that's the only downside. And for when you go to sell that bike, somebody might ask this same question and then move on to something else instead. When it comes to selling bikes, keeping it simple really helps.

I know this because I'm selling a bike right now that has a boost rear end and a standard non-boost fork up front. People can't seem to really figure that one out. And the only way to replace the wheelset is to buy a custom build set, or buy one at a time. Both options are expensive.

Performance wise, there's no disadvantage (or advantage, really) to running a boost fork with a non-boost rear other than you can run a wider tire (usually). People will say your wheel is stiffer etc etc, but I've never noticed my non-boost fork vs the boost fork i'm running right now. Feels exactly the same.

Posted: Nov 13, 2018 at 12:33 Quote
Yes, Fox 34 29 and 27.5+ are the same fork. So you got the correct fork (providing you have a boost front wheel).

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.007176
Mobile Version of Website