First FS bike

Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Nov 9, 2018 at 21:03 Quote
Is there anything i need to know before purchasing my first full suspension bike? Im coming from an aggressive hardtail. thanks in advance

Posted: Nov 10, 2018 at 0:43 Quote
What sort of trails do you ride? Biggest mistake going to a full sus is over biking yourself, as in a 170mm travel enduro bike may look awesome, but will it be a pain in tight twisty single track? What are most of the other riders near you ride as far as full suspension goes?

Posted: Nov 10, 2018 at 3:46 Quote
Kiwiplague wrote:
What sort of trails do you ride? Biggest mistake going to a full sus is over biking yourself, as in a 170mm travel enduro bike may look awesome, but will it be a pain in tight twisty single track? What are most of the other riders near you ride as far as full suspension goes?
its mostly single track with elevations of about 100m, 10-15km of a single loop.it also has quite a number of 2-3 foot drops and several jumps and im looking into the scott genius with about 150mm of travel front and rear.

Posted: Nov 10, 2018 at 6:44 Quote
plstakenote wrote:
Is there anything i need to know before purchasing my first full suspension bike? Im coming from an aggressive hardtail. thanks in advance

id say anything with a lockout is a poor design being fixed with a bandage. buy a vpp or similar design.(giant trance, pivot, yeti, dw link) no lockout required as they work better all the time.

Posted: Nov 11, 2018 at 6:44 Quote
lifted-d wrote:
plstakenote wrote:

id say anything with a lockout is a poor design being fixed with a bandage. buy a vpp or similar design.(giant trance, pivot, yeti, dw link) no lockout required as they work better all the time.
how does the scott genius compare to the giant trance? any ideas?

Posted: Nov 11, 2018 at 12:47 Quote
plstakenote wrote:
lifted-d wrote:
plstakenote wrote:

how does the scott genius compare to the giant trance? any ideas?

they use lockouts = old poor design, great design 15 yrs ago, the VPP genie is out of the bottle and widely available from the originals at Santa cruz, Intense, Giants Meastro system is amazing. pivot and others use variations too.

If your willing to spend money on a new bike imo buying a non vpp type design is somewhat silly.

fiddling with a lockout switch is ridiculous when riding fast you will have other issues to focus on, this is where vpp really shines. its always available when a bump hits or you have a quick sprint hill to climb, you don't have to release the lockout or remember to lock it, its automatic by design of the geometry of the links and pivots.

personally I have a 2012 reign as my xc bike and a newer Nomad with a heavier build. the new trance is likely more capable than my old reign with the newer geometry, and would also make a faster all round trail bike.

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.005348
Mobile Version of Website