Quality entry level fatbike

PB Forum :: Fat Bikes
Quality entry level fatbike
  • Previous Page
O+ FL
Posted: Nov 10, 2018 at 5:46 Quote
Looking for any advice on a quality entry level fatbike. Going to be using fir winter sniw

Posted: Nov 11, 2018 at 5:28 Quote
Check out bikesdirect.... if you are only just going to ride snow skip a suspension fork. If you are going ride year round get a suspension fork. Snow only = 4.8 tires, year round the 4.0 work fine.

O+ FL
Posted: Nov 11, 2018 at 10:50 Quote
mustclime wrote:
Check out bikesdirect.... if you are only just going to ride snow skip a suspension fork. If you are going ride year round get a suspension fork. Snow only = 4.8 tires, year round the 4.0 work fine.

Thanks

Posted: Dec 17, 2018 at 9:18 Quote
Check out a Trek Farley 5 for a good entry level bike. They are a lot lighter than a bikesdirect bike and have better wheels with Bontrager Rapid Drive hubs and 27.5" Sun Ringle Mule Foot rims. They have a better geometry than any other fat bike I've ridden, it's more nimble and playful and just handles better. Rigid or suspension fork are a personal preference, but I ride mine rigid all year long with no problem.
https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/bikes/mountain-bikes/fat-bikes/farley/farley-5/p/24508/?colorCode=greydark

Posted: Dec 27, 2018 at 9:55 Quote
I’d plan on spending between $1000-$1,500 for a good quality bike that offers a lot of value for the money spent. I’ve seen Surly Wednesdays on sale for around $1,000 but they can only fit a 4.6” wide tire and everyone I know that has one will complain about the lack of float. I’d choose a bike that can fit a 4.8 to 5” tire so you have a more capable bike. You can always fit more narrow tires if you only ride very hard packed trails or don’t get a lot of snow.

The Bikes Direct bikes aren’t bad, just don’t buy the cheapest model they offer. Framed offers less expensive bikes as well. Still, I think you’d be better off in the price range above from a bike shop.

O+ FL
Posted: Dec 27, 2018 at 14:26 Quote
That-Alaska-Guy wrote:
I’d plan on spending between $1000-$1,500 for a good quality bike that offers a lot of value for the money spent. I’ve seen Surly Wednesdays on sale for around $1,000 but they can only fit a 4.6” wide tire and everyone I know that has one will complain about the lack of float. I’d choose a bike that can fit a 4.8 to 5” tire so you have a more capable bike. You can always fit more narrow tires if you only ride very hard packed trails or don’t get a lot of snow.

The Bikes Direct bikes aren’t bad, just don’t buy the cheapest model they offer. Framed offers less expensive bikes as well. Still, I think you’d be better off in the price range above from a bike shop.

Good advice thanks

Posted: Jan 17, 2019 at 17:38 Quote
Reid is very reasonable, stock tires suck, replaced the tires and studded, also added a dropper seat-post but other than that is a great bike. Cost me around $600 plus tires and seat post

photo

Posted: Jan 17, 2019 at 18:15 Quote
velo-suburbia wrote:
Check out a Trek Farley 5 for a good entry level bike. They are a lot lighter than a bikesdirect bike and have better wheels with Bontrager Rapid Drive hubs and 27.5" Sun Ringle Mule Foot rims. They have a better geometry than any other fat bike I've ridden, it's more nimble and playful and just handles better. Rigid or suspension fork are a personal preference, but I ride mine rigid all year long with no problem.
https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/bikes/mountain-bikes/fat-bikes/farley/farley-5/p/24508/?colorCode=greydark

Couldn't agree more with this advice. If you save up a little more for a Trek Farley 5 you will not regret it!

Posted: Jan 27, 2019 at 5:21 Quote
https://m.pinkbike.com/buysell/2500295/

Posted: Feb 4, 2019 at 11:59 Quote
I have been very pleased with my motobecane nx 1 from bikes direct. Converted to tinkles right off, and later address a Mastadon and 11-46 cassette. Of course did some switching of handle bars and stem type stuff. I would steer clear of the gravity stuff if you can. I'm sure they're "fine" but the motobecane is well made and very nice.

Posted: Feb 4, 2019 at 18:25 Quote
AJG137 wrote:
https://m.pinkbike.com/buysell/2500295/

Farley for 800

O+
Posted: Feb 13, 2019 at 10:26 Quote
hartmd25 wrote:
Looking for any advice on a quality entry level fatbike. Going to be using fir winter sniw

If you need a Sm/Md size, I have a full sus Bucksaw on the B&S forum- cheap!

Posted: Feb 14, 2019 at 3:22 Quote
I’ve been racing all winter on a nice Carver but have seen a lot of folks doing awesome on the Framed Minnesota models that I swear I saw for $600!!

Posted: Feb 16, 2019 at 16:03 Quote
hartmd25 wrote:

I've been looking at getting a good entry level fat bike too. I think I'm getting this one https://mountainbikeheart.com/best-cheap-fat-wheel-mtb-online-insane-value-fat-bike/

Mongoose. Like $300

I think I'm keen.

Posted: Feb 16, 2019 at 18:14 Quote
I think largely depends on what you want it of your fat bike. I think Seth bike hacks put that one through the ringer, you Google it

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.013729
Mobile Version of Website