Tallboy 2

PB Forum :: Santa Cruz
Tallboy 2
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Nov 11, 2018 at 3:26 Quote
not sure how to ask the question without giving the full story so ill apologise in advance! this might be a bit long winded but bare with me!

I currently ride a 5010 which ive built more on the burly side, not concerned with weight, 30mm rise bars, 40mm stem, 140 fork, coil shock, flat pedals, 2.5 tyre up front, 2.4 on the back and i honestly do think its the best uk bike I could have! grew up riding trials and bmx so playfulness was (and still is) the no1 thing I look for in a bike. hence choosing the 5010 over anything else (say a Bronson) anyway, two weeks ago, me and my 'perfect' bike had a disagreement and it sent me over the bars on a step down! breaking my wrist, fracturing my shoulder and dislocating my shoulder! while the breaks and fractures don't worry me too much the dislocation does! ive read that it could be 6 months of recovery and rehab before its back to full health, and even then, it may always be a bit weaker and possible to 'fall' out again. I plan on getting in the gym asap and im already desperate to ride. realistically speaking, im not gonna be entering any downhills, enduros, or even going to the bike parks/jumps anytime soon so all I want to do in my 'downtime' is get fit! fit in the gym and smash the miles out so that when I can ride im good to go! (finally getting around to my question) I love my bike as it is and want to keep it that way but its not the perfect set up for the 30, 40,50 mile rides I have planned over the next 3 - 6 months. im fortunate enough that I could treat myself to second bike. thinking of getting a mile muncher! 29er xc machine with spds, long stem, low bars etc …. thinking tallboy 2 as im a santa cruz fan and the 2 looks to have more xc orientated geometry compared to the 3. (hopefully stopping me wanting to manual, scandi flick and try a flattie off of every root lol) anyone that's ridden both for xc type riding (or just anyone with an opinion) think that my bike with the air shock back on, light tyres, spds etc would make for a comparable xc bike? ive never ridden a tallboy so will I be surprised with how different the two bikes are? I don't mind spending out and like the idea of this time next year, when I am fit, having one bike built up for miles and one built up for smiles but I obviously don't want to spend out on what is (could be with a few mods) an identical bike to what I already have. not sure if the injury is giving me the 'must haves' or whether this is a legitimate first world problem lol

if you read all that then I apologise! I just didn't know how to ask the question without explaining why Im asking the question in the first place. opinions welcome Smile

Posted: Nov 12, 2018 at 18:15 Quote
Went from 17 5010 to an 18 tallboy. Much more xc oriented, and still handles decently rough stuff just as well. Pedals a lot better and the 29's just eat up the miles. I have no regrets. My 5010 did not turn well. The tallboy rails. If you can afford 2, why not. They are different enough to warrant both vs trying to xc yours. Imo.

Posted: Nov 14, 2018 at 1:16 Quote
Cheers for the reply. Hearing that they’re different enough to warrant both from someone that actually ridden both was what I needed to know one way or another. Also now wondering if I’ve been over looking the new blur? That thing looks it could also tick the right boxes with a 120 fork.....

Posted: Nov 15, 2018 at 5:34 Quote
The Blur has me thinking as well, but the comfort I have with the TB will likely keep me where I am, plus don't need to spend anymore. LOL

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.033045
Mobile Version of Website