50 year old looking for training advice

PB Forum :: Fitness, Training and Health
50 year old looking for training advice
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Nov 11, 2018 at 8:21 Quote
I am a 50 year old male that has always been into cycling since racing bmx in grade 3. I have always had a nice bike hanging in the garage but the issue was finding the time to use it with having a busy family and work life. Presently in my garage I have a Norco Threshold carbon, Salsa Beargrease carbon, Yeti 575 and have just purchased a Trek Fuel EX 9.7 mountain biking is more my passion.
So my issue is not the equipment the problem I am having is the engine. Since I do struggle with time I am not able to do big long training rides (which I will be honest I do find road riding very mundane). I feel I have 2 main problems that I feel if I can resolve my riding ability and pleasure will increase. The first is my endurance level is very low. The second is I find my lower back and butt become very sore withing an hour of riding.
I live in a region where we do get snow for about 5 months and for the next 2 months our fattire trail system is not very usable. The rides are more hike a bike that rides
Now that my kids are older and my career is established I hope to have more time to ride but I would like to try and hit the ground spinning in the spring. I am hoping I can get some input on how to address my 2 issues over the winter in the gym. I try to get to the gym at least 5 days a week for about an hour. Come January our fattire trail system will be usable so my plan is to ride it twice a week.
I do have a heart rate monitor that I understand can be very useful. I do not want to by a trainer for my bike but would like to use what I have available to me at the gym.

thanks for any input you may have

Posted: Dec 1, 2018 at 14:00 Quote
Hey buckshotsktm,
your post resonated w/me as a 53-year-old who just recently found myself in a similar situation. Here was my journey and maybe it will help.
~4 months ago:
- I signed up with an app that tracks food intake in a very basic way along w/exercise. It also comes w/a 15 min coaching session per week. It is more of an accountability call than any serious nutrition or exercise advice. The primary benefits for me have been in the daily tracking of what goes into my piehole. This made a difference in my awareness. Overall I felt I was eating healthy but realized I was cheating more than not. So, it has challenged me to make healthier eating choices.
- The next thing I needed to attack was exercise. I work in front of a computer all day and was pretty sedentary except for a family hike or walk about 1x per week. To ramp this up I set a goal to do one active thing per day. I started slowly with just adding taking the stairs to the floor I work on (10th floor). For sure, this was tough at first and there were MANY days my body said no. I pushed through and do this every day. I then added an occasional short walk at lunch, sometimes alone, sometimes w/a work colleague, sometimes at home. Then I started researching HIIT as this provided a beneficial workout in a short amount of time. I started doing HIIT weights and HIIT cardio 1x per week and then added core/abs (Ab-ripper X). To be clear, I was pretty lousy on the core for a while and just pushed through. Now I can complete the 17 minutes w/mostly decent form.
- Unlike you, I was riding an old Niner hardtail. When I began riding again it was super painful from a cardio and body perspective. When I got home, my lower back hurt and I had muscle soreness for the next few days. After about 3 trips out I finally bought a full suspension Santa Cruz. I set a goal to ride once per week. Being type A and a bit overambitious, I would end up on 3+ hour 15 mile rides w/3k+ feet of elevation gain. When I got home, I would be wiped out! Again, I just committed to myself to stick with it.

Today:
- I'm still logging what I eat and making mostly healthy choices. I'm not following any specific diet plan, just lots of veggies and water, adequate protein, and limiting the beers (2 per week). This helped me to lose about 1lb per week.
- I've managed to sustain my exercise level and add something pretty active every day. This may mean a tough 20+ min HIIT workout at home using either dumbbells or just body weight.
- I'm riding about the same distances 1x per week but w/much better times (~2 hours) and it's a good bit more enjoyable. We'll see how much into the winter this lasts. I'm in the Seattle area so other than rain it doesn't dip to freezing temps often.

Ongoing:
- My current plan is to stick w/this and maybe ramp up on the HIIT/Resistance training. For eating, I will strive to stay in my current pattern. I hope to keep biking 1x per week and be flexible w/the weather.

Not sure if any of these will be beneficial for you, it was just my journey that has been about slow incremental improvements.

buckshotsktm wrote:
I am a 50 year old male that has always been into cycling since racing bmx in grade 3. I have always had a nice bike hanging in the garage but the issue was finding the time to use it with having a busy family and work life. Presently in my garage I have a Norco Threshold carbon, Salsa Beargrease carbon, Yeti 575 and have just purchased a Trek Fuel EX 9.7 mountain biking is more my passion.
So my issue is not the equipment the problem I am having is the engine. Since I do struggle with time I am not able to do big long training rides (which I will be honest I do find road riding very mundane). I feel I have 2 main problems that I feel if I can resolve my riding ability and pleasure will increase. The first is my endurance level is very low. The second is I find my lower back and butt become very sore withing an hour of riding.
I live in a region where we do get snow for about 5 months and for the next 2 months our fattire trail system is not very usable. The rides are more hike a bike that rides
Now that my kids are older and my career is established I hope to have more time to ride but I would like to try and hit the ground spinning in the spring. I am hoping I can get some input on how to address my 2 issues over the winter in the gym. I try to get to the gym at least 5 days a week for about an hour. Come January our fattire trail system will be usable so my plan is to ride it twice a week.
I do have a heart rate monitor that I understand can be very useful. I do not want to by a trainer for my bike but would like to use what I have available to me at the gym.

Posted: Dec 1, 2018 at 17:45 Quote
buckshotsktm wrote:

Im 48, and find flat pedals and less 'junk' helps get more opportunities to ride, not really long training rides but quicker loops close to home, ride down some stairs and find little jumps in the alleys and sidewalks. if you can get out and have some fun screwing around in nearby environment, its easy to sneak a 40 minute effort in and log some miles. i wear 'normal clothes' jeans/jacket helmet gloves glasses some DC shoes.
I loath the pack up car, put on cycling garb, drive unpack, go ride then reverse sequence.
And when you can get a 'proper ride in' you will have kept up the base miles and rust off with your quick fixes.

Posted: Dec 1, 2018 at 19:50 Quote
I am only 45 but I just cant resist this one , ride flats ,keep a pair of fivetens and a helmet in the car at all times , no excuses , ride your bike for only ten minutes practicing trackstands , trying wheelies ,doing bunnyhops ,I haven't had time is something that will never go away for some of us

Posted: Dec 1, 2018 at 20:28 Quote
thanks for the input guys. A little update I have cleaned up my eating quite a bit and increased my water intake and lowered my coffee intake. This has improved the my overall feeling and I think my energy levels. As for the training I have returned to the gym and have a routine that includes both strength training as well as HIIT training. We now have snow on the ground so I have started using and enjoying my fat bike more than I ever have. I have bin riding with flats and been focusing more on my bike handling skills than the times I set. I have also started to use a heart monitor when I train and ride. I have also done more research on lower back pain and found that it can be caused by a weak core as well as limited flexibility in the glut and hamstring area. That being said I have included stretching and core workouts in my routine. Although I have only been at it for about a month and a half I am down 6 lbs and feel my cycling ability is getting better. I do have some winter bike trips planned because I am a couple hour drive from Marquette Mich. I think if I can keep this routine up I should be in really good shape for the start of mountain bike season

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2018. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.016120
Mobile Version of Website