Time for a full face helmet

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Time for a full face helmet
  • Previous Page
O+ FL
Posted: Nov 17, 2018 at 14:25 Quote
I've got an uplift day planned in a few weeks at my local bike park (417), and having seen my best friend break his jaw on a blue trail, I think I need to get myself a full face helmet.

Most of my riding is fairly tame trail riding, with the occasional trail centre/pumptrack/bike park trip or more technical trail riding thrown in. When I bought my last helmet, a Giro Montaro, I tried loads on and the Giro was by far the most comfortable. From what I can remember Bell and TLD were the least comfortable and Fox was OK.

Some options I have considered are:
- 661 Reset/Bell Stanchion: Cheap, but what are the downsides of these cheaper ABS helmets?
- A mid range helmet, likely the Giro Disciple. Is the fit likely to be the same as the Montaro, i.e. same shape? I have seen some good offers on the 100% Status/Aircraft, but it doesn't sound like it will fit my large head too well. These are right at the top of my budget, but won't get much use - only bike park/pump track.
- A convertible helmet, these may get more use as I could wear them on long days riding technical trails (Peak District etc). I can just about get the Giro Switchblade or Bell Super DH in budget. In theory the Bell is the better helmet, I could use it as my only helmet, but I guess fit is important here. The Giro looks like it would be too warm for using on all day rides, but should fit me perfectly.
- A Fox Proframe, slightly over budget, but again I would get more use out of it. How would a Proframe compare to a Switchblade for breathability?

Obviously the sensible thing to do would be to try on all the helmets, but not sure I will get the chance to do that. Nor will it give me any idea of how they for riding in. So what do you think Pinkbike - cheap helmet? Convertible helmet? Expensive breathable helmet? And should fit trump features?

O+
Posted: Nov 17, 2018 at 15:07 Quote
I love my bell super dh. I rotate between that and my bell full 9. The super dh has taken some massive hits and done a great job. I have a big head and long hair and the xl Bell fits great

O+ FL
Posted: Nov 17, 2018 at 15:42 Quote
Mntneer wrote:
I love my bell super dh. I rotate between that and my bell full 9. The super dh has taken some massive hits and done a great job. I have a big head and long hair and the xl Bell fits great

You really should dispose of the helmet after one 'massive hit'...
That being said +1 for the bell super dh, good helmet. Likely saved me from a bad concussion last summer.

O+
Posted: Nov 17, 2018 at 20:48 Quote
+another for the Bell Super DH. However, I almost wish I had the Fox Proframe because I hardly ever ride without the chinbar anymore.
I think the Proframe would have better ventilation and is certainly lighter. The only drawback is that it only has MIPS and the visor isn’t adjustable.

O+ FL
Posted: Nov 17, 2018 at 22:59 Quote
The Bell Super DH does look the best on paper, my only concern is that I don’t have a Bell shaped head. Are features more important than fit?

I’m going to try and get to a bike shop to try these all on.

swedishfishmx wrote:
I think the Proframe would have better ventilation and is certainly lighter. The only drawback is that it only has MIPS and the visor isn’t adjustable.

What do you mean by “only MIPS”, Is there something else I should be looking for?

Posted: Nov 18, 2018 at 1:20 Quote
I have a basic 661 full face helmet for uplifts days which meets the necessary safety standards.
Sure i could have bought a more expensive lid which would be lighter and with greater ventilation and if i wore it more frequently and for longer periods i probably would have.
But literally I use it one day every couple of months when i put in on for the 10 minute descent and then its off and im back in the van so the added weight and warmth is really no issue.

O+ FL
Posted: Nov 18, 2018 at 2:01 Quote
spl75 wrote:
I have a basic 661 full face helmet for uplifts days which meets the necessary safety standards.
Sure i could have bought a more expensive lid which would be lighter and with greater ventilation and if i wore it more frequently and for longer periods i probably would have.
But literally I use it one day every couple of months when i put in on for the 10 minute descent and then its off and im back in the van so the added weight and warmth is really no issue.
That was my original train of thought, before there was a massive budget creep!

FL
Posted: Nov 18, 2018 at 2:52 Quote
I have a Bell Super DH and my better half has a Bell Super 3R. Both great helmets, we use them when riding in the peaks as it's nice to be able to remove the chin for the climbs and put it back on for the descents. If you want one only for uplifts then no need for the removable chin bar.

O+ FL
Posted: Nov 18, 2018 at 4:21 Quote
Davec85 wrote:
I have a Bell Super DH and my better half has a Bell Super 3R. Both great helmets, we use them when riding in the peaks as it's nice to be able to remove the chin for the climbs and put it back on for the descents. If you want one only for uplifts then no need for the removable chin bar.
I ride in the peaks more than at bike parks, so can see the benefit of a helmet that I can wear there too.

FL
Posted: Nov 18, 2018 at 4:53 Quote
lewiscraik wrote:
Davec85 wrote:
I ride in the peaks more than at bike parks, so can see the benefit of a helmet that I can wear there too.

Yeah it's pretty good for that, would recommend either the DH or 3R for what you want it for.

Posted: Nov 18, 2018 at 5:12 Quote
I was using an old motorcycle helmet, it worked but was heavy and would give me neck ache if I rode too long. I picked up a 'Demon podium' helmet 'returned to amazon by someone else' for $50.much lighter...!!

O+
Posted: Nov 18, 2018 at 12:07 Quote
lewiscraik wrote:
The Bell Super DH does look the best on paper, my only concern is that I don’t have a Bell shaped head. Are features more important than fit?

swedishfishmx wrote:

What do you mean by “only MIPS”, Is there something else I should be looking for?

The Bell Super DH uses Spherical MIPS. It’s another adaptation of MIPS

Posted: Nov 18, 2018 at 12:20 Quote
[Quote="lewiscraik"]The Bell Super DH does look the best on paper, my only concern is that I don’t have a Bell shaped head. Are features more important than fit?

Features are important but fit more so. I'm looking for a full face but no lbs have any so haven't bought one. From talking to people in shops that have them and race, fit is number one, then get the best one you can which fits. Not riding for a long time? Don't really need the lighter carbon. Want to get a bargain online without trying it on? It's a helmet protecting your head when you are riding faster than you normally do. A good helmet can last years, or my last helmet lasted 30 minutes into it's first ride but saved my head from a tree. I don't see that as £100 wasted.

O+ FL
Posted: Nov 19, 2018 at 5:41 Quote
swedishfishmx wrote:
lewiscraik wrote:

swedishfishmx wrote:

The Bell Super DH uses Spherical MIPS. It’s another adaptation of MIPS

alexbg wrote:
lewiscraik wrote:

Features are important but fit more so. I'm looking for a full face but no lbs have any so haven't bought one. From talking to people in shops that have them and race, fit is number one, then get the best one you can which fits. Not riding for a long time? Don't really need the lighter carbon. Want to get a bargain online without trying it on? It's a helmet protecting your head when you are riding faster than you normally do. A good helmet can last years, or my last helmet lasted 30 minutes into it's first ride but saved my head from a tree. I don't see that as £100 wasted.

Hopefully I'll be able to try a few helmets on at the weekend. Although I have seen a really good deal on the Giro Disciple, I just need to decide if it is worth paying 50% more for a helmet I could use on trails too.

Posted: Nov 19, 2018 at 15:43 Quote
It seems to me like paying 50% more for a helmet that can be used in multiple disciplines is still less expensive than buying two helmets. Cool

I'm looking at that TLD Stage helmet, myself. If you don't like the fit of that brand, the Fox Proframe may be your best bet.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.010408
Mobile Version of Website